The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

www.manestruckparts.com....another guy's opinion

I personally will never do business with Manes again. I purchased a short bed from him (at a premium price) that he clained was a "super nice bed". He told me a buddy of his did all the body work on it and that it wouldn't take much to get it ready for paint as it was already blocked out and coated in primer. Upon inspection at his shop, the bed looked very straight and rust free as he claimed. While I was there he did point out a couple small spots where he said there was filler. I had done business with him before so had no reason not to trust him. I brought the bed home, disassembled it and stored it in my garage because I wasn't quite ready to work on it. About 8 months later I stripped one of the bed sides just to make sure it was as he claimed. Well, it wasn't. It had many small dings and dents and some surface rust under the primer. I went back up to Manes and told him about the bed. He got very defensive about it saying he didn't remember that bed being in that bad of condition. He told me that since it was a used part it was sold as-is and he couldn't take it back. He did offer to sell me a new repro bed side at a small discount. What a guy! After seeing the first one, I couldn't wait to strip the other one. It was about 10 times worse! The whole side was covered in filler and had two large creases like the truck had been driven through the woods. I then stripped the front bed panel and it had rot in the top edge that was filled with filler. Needless to say, I have not been back since and try to flame him every time his name comes up on this forum. I figure I need to get my money's in one way or another. I also know of a another guy who ordered a repro seat cover through Manes and after he received it decided he didn't want it. He took it back to Manes and was given a hard time for trying to return it.

So be warned if you plan to order a used part from him. His shop is about 5 minutes from my house but I'd rather order from GMC Paul in Indiana than buy from Manes.

Here are some shots of the one of the "bondo bed" sides.....

Last edited by Slammed67; 05-22-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Slammed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
ebfabman

And so it goes for all the "dent free" "rust free" used parts out there. That's why when I see primer I always get out the magnet. Seems primer brings the wishfulness in both the buyers and especially sellers. Hate to hear that about the bed. He should make the deal worth it for you. Been on the receiving end on "those" deals myself. Don't know what you paid for it but I'm sure it was a "good price" for someone..........
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Sams_71

I've spent a lot of time and money at Ron's store. Hell, I've spent a lot of money at a few parts suppliers, all the ones here in the KC area and others around the country. I think I know Ron, and his wife, pretty well. They're a mom and pop store doing something they love just trying to make a living for themselves and their family.

I've always gotten straight info from Ron about 67-72 trucks. I know a lot of truck rebuilders that go there. I know people that work or have worked at other part stores here in KC. I've seen those people in Ron's store buying his parts. I know, not from Ron, that other 67-72 part store owners seek information from him about these trucks and the parts for them. I recommend them to others all the time. I keep some of their business cards in my truck for when people ask 'where do you get your parts?'.

I've read slammed67's negative remarks about Manes Truck Parts in the past. I never knew the issue until now although I thought I had asked slammed what was up. I have heard Manes' side, maybe you'll read it here maybe not.

You can't make everyone happy all the time.

I'm not done rebuilding trucks, just taking a break, but I'm going to get my parts from Manes in the future too.

Sams71@kc.rr.com

Liberty, MO
Sams_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time and money at Ron's store.
Yeah, me too

Quote:
You can't make everyone happy all the time.

True, but you should be honest and try to make bad situation right. What happened to "the customer is always right"? He had a bad attitude about it and only offered to sell me new bed sides. The right thing to do would have been to come over and look at the bed sides to see for himself. I never said he wasn't knowledgeable about trucks; I'm sure he is. Also, I had done business with him in the past and had no complaints, which is why I didn’t question the condition of the bed. I know better now. If I had known how much filler was in those bed sides I never would have bought it. All ended up using was the floor and the wheel tubs and had to buy new repro sides and a new repro front bed panel.

I’m glad you and everyone else enjoy doing business with him, but I choose not to. Maybe he ought to come on here and defend himself. I’m actually surprised he isn’t a member of this site.

Last edited by Slammed67; 06-01-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Slammed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Sams_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed67

True, but you should be honest and try to make bad situation right.
And he didn't?

Quote:

He had a bad attitude about it and only offered to sell me new bed sides.
Sounds like he did to me. And at his cost.

Quote:

The right thing to do would have been to come over and look at the bed sides to see for himself.
Don't we all wish all vendors would do that.

Quote:

If I had known how much filler was in those bed sides I never would have bought it.
What no magnet?

Quote:

I’m glad you and everyone else enjoy doing business with him, but I choose not to.
Ahh, the American freedom of choice. Gotta love it.

Quote:

I’m actually surprised he isn’t a member of this site.
Maybe they are. Couldn't keep up with business trends very well if they didn't.

I know, I'm being a smart ass. Man you know I know there's been a problem between you two for a while. I hate to see it. All I really want to do is help. I'm sorry it's turned out this way. I've seen pics of your truck, and I think I've seen it on the street. It's a pretty well customized ride. I've looked at all those pictures of the bag job you did on the front-end, cool stuff. I don't understand, but it's not my concern either, why you wanted a used bed anyway. Have you gotten your money back from the flame job yet? Can you really ever? Why can't you work things out? Think of all the money you'd save on freight. The Manes' are just trying to make a living doing business. Sell him a bad used part if you think you need to get even.

Sams71@kc.rr.com

Liberty, MO
Sams_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Quote:
What no magnet?
Quote:
I've always gotten straight info from Ron about 67-72 trucks. I know a lot of truck rebuilders that go there. I know people that work or have worked at other part stores here in KC. I've seen those people in Ron's store buying his parts. I know, not from Ron, that other 67-72 part store owners seek information from him about these trucks and the parts for them. I recommend them to others all the time. I keep some of their business cards in my truck for when people ask 'where do you get your parts?'.
If he's such a good guy, why should I have needed a magnet???

Don't worry, I don't wake up every morning thinking of ways to get back at him. Live and learn. I'm not still angry about it, but if someone else brings it up I'm going to give my $0.02.

Quote:
I don't understand, but it's not my concern either, why you wanted a used bed anyway?
Well, that's irrelevant but I'd prefer to have OEM stuff over repro. (I had to modify one of the repro bed sides to make it fit right). If that bed was as “nice” as he claimed, I would have been very satisfied with my purchase. If I had painted that bed and taken his word for its condition, I would have had rust popping through the paint and/or cracked filler within a year. Then I really would have been pissed!