The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Barney 66
Account Suspended

^^ drive shaft length

I have a 66 short bed thats dropped 2 inches in the rear and has a 350 Turbo tranny. Need to know the distance from the pinion shaft center (with the 3/4 inch play) to the the saddle on the rear end. I had to pull my drife shaft our for new U joints and it would not come out without sliding the axle aft... thus my dilema... I cant lower the truck and measure so its either re install everything and drop to the ground and remove the bed to measure or wag it with some help on here. Thanks in advance...

Barney
Attached Images

Barney 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
kieth

Re: ^^ drive shaft length

Ask your driveline shop how to measure without the driveshaft in place. I think you measure from the yoke on the rear axle to the end of the transmission splined shaft. they will then know how much to add for the needed slip joint and u joint. Put it on them they will tell you what dimensions they need. Kieth

no one can tell you the exact dimension since your truck is not stock, we do not know where the motor is mounted, etc. You will have to measure it. If you cannot get to it because it is too low then jack it up and put it on jack stands so you can get under it.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Barney 66
Account Suspended

Re: ^^ drive shaft length

Keith thanks bro, Im going to throw it back together, pull the bed (need to work on my 20 gal tank and lines also) and upgrade the wire harness to tail lights. Just thought I might see if anyone was close to 56.5or 58 inches. Thanks again
Barney 66 is offline   Reply With Quote