The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Bell housing starter question

Well, I have the 383 going in before too long and I am a little confused as to which parts I can use or not. First off, I have the flywheel and ring gear form the 400 engine I aquired from a parts truck. This is on the 383 of course. I also have the starter and bell from same 400. The starter is the shim up style mounted from bottom of engine and the bell is aluminum.
Now the bellhousing in my truck now is the cast iron one ( stronger??? I'm not sure) with the oldstyle bolt from front of starter with the snout that registers for location and gear mesh. I was told this is a 350 motor but not the original that was in the 69 truck Yet another clue: the truck had a 327 in it at one time. My old 66 with 327 had this same bell and starter style. I realy like the positioning and fastening of this style starter.

Common scence tells me go with all of the 400 stuff. The unknown: is the cast iron bell better and will that starter work on the 400 ring gear. ( I haven't started counting teeth yet),

I remember that the 400s might have different tooth count????

Help please!!
Thank you.
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote