The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
RiCo

Stock 2nd gastank?

Well ive been wanting to put in a speaker box behind my bench seat in the cab, but i really dont have the few hundred dollars for a kit. So i kinda just dropped the idea for awhile, untill i relized that i have another tank. On the passenger side theres a a place to fill up another tank. So i opened it up and discovered there really was a 2nd stank. My dad and i have never filled this up. But i was talking to him and he said that we would probably need to re-route the fuel lines to this tank. Then take out the one behind the seat.

anyone does this before? what things will i need to do? whats the estimated cost on doing this job?
RiCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
RiCo

Re: Stock 2nd gastank?

anyone?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Should not be a problem, I would first inspect that tank and clean it out. Other things to consider is that it does not have a sending unit, so you will not have a fuel gauge reading, and also, how many gallons is the second tank, if it is smaller, you will be stopping more often at gas stations....

Good Luck!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
RiCo

ya im not exactly sure what the size of the 2nd gas tank... i heard it might be stock? Its the on the passenger side and theres a stainless square door that you open with a key then its right there.

Im trying to get some info on it to see if i should make it the primary tank or not... If its smaller i might just leave that one in there. But if its like 15+ gallons i will probl make it the primary and rip out the one behind the seat. Maybe this weekend me and a friend of mine can check it out and get this small project going.....

Now i just need to find a speaker box also. Anyone know of a plce where i can buy a box that will fit right there? seems like i would probly need to be something custom.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

The side saddle gas tanks I've seen are in the range of 16-18gallon capacity.

Your tank sounds as though it is aftermarket.

You should look for a manual switching unit (often located between the driver's door and seat on the floor).
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote