The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Bill W

Anybody put in new seals in a steering box?

I've got a 91 suburban with leaky steering box. It has no other problems besides leaking. Can you just put in a new seal by input shaft and pitman arm?

Bill
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
bigd65

I'm interested in this also
Old 03-30-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Bowed

the answer is yes . the pitman arm seals are easy (about $12.00 at napa ) but the input seals are tricky .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

Don't do it! I just went through this in the last couple of weeks. I replaced the seals in the gear box, and a couple of weeks later, the gear box broke and left me stranded. The steering wheel froze when I was making a turn and I couldn't turn the wheels back straight. I had to get towed home.

If this had occurred while driving 70 mph down the interstate......

Unless you know what you're doing, I suggest you just replace the box. A rebuilt unit cost me $150.

You can read about my experience here.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
fanman

I replaced the input shaft seals, the hardest part was getting the (for lack of better words) seal housing from the box. After I got that off, it was just a matter of a snap ring or two. I thought it would be a pain in the butt, so I kept putting it off, but it was actually real easy. Oh this was on my 77 K20.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Grim Reaper

Arm side is easy.

Put dieverside front tire into kiddie swimming pool. Drop drag link loosed but do not remove arm. Remove C clip that retains seal. Start truck and give full left crank till it bottoms out. Shut of truck. Get mop and clean up fluid that is all over the place if you did not use kiddie pool like I advised.

NOTE the order of the seals and the spacers. This is why you leave the arm on so they cannot go flying till you see how they stack. There is two seals on the output and if they are out of order you will get a internal leak. That is problably the problem arveetek experianced.
Remove arm and old seals. Install new seals and double, tripple, quadruple check that the C-Clip locked in. (DOn't ask why I stress this LOL)

Input: Remove box from truck. Remove C-Clip. Lay box on side and VERY carefully drill 1/8 hole 180 degrees into the metal of the seal as close to the outside edge of the seal as possible.
It is very important to use minimal drill speed and to do this with the box sideways so the metal shavings fall away from the box. You have to be super carefull not to nick the shaft or the housing with the drill bit.

Pry old seal out with Awl or booger hook. Clean and verify no shrapnel from drilling is in the box. and install new seal and C-Clip.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
Bill W

Thanks

Grim Reaper, great write-up, just what I was looking for. It seems in all the manuals for the home repair person all they can recommend is replace the steering box with a reconditioned one.

The least expensive I've found is $191.00, with exchange at Shucks.

Bill
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

I'm a cheapskate. That's the under $20 route. Autozone had them in stock even. Get the numbers off the box. There is different sizes but the numbers should tell them the ones to use.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Bill W

I'm cheap also

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
I'm a cheapskate. That's the under $20 route.
You got any suggestions for my whining 10 bolt rear end. I may be able to pickup another 10 bolt rear end that was rebuilt. It comes attatched to a 90 4x4 suburban in fairly good shape with a cheap price. I'm hoping to be able to part the rest of it and make my money back. I priced a 14 bolt SF with the six lug pattern but those at any wrecking yard I call are $900 or more.

Bill
Old 04-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
Grim Reaper

Re: I'm cheap also

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill W

You got any suggestions for my whining 10 bolt rear end. I may be able to pickup another 10 bolt rear end that was rebuilt. It comes attatched to a 90 4x4 suburban in fairly good shape with a cheap price. I'm hoping to be able to part the rest of it and make my money back. I priced a 14 bolt SF with the six lug pattern but those at any wrecking yard I call are $900 or more.

Bill
10 and 12 show up all the time for cheap on the forsale section here, www.pirate4x4.com and www.ck5.com I'm talking under $100 and sometimes free.

The local pull a park sells 14's for under $100 if they got them.

I'm tossing around picking up a 88 burb with a blown rear axle. Near me. 30K since engine and tranny were rebuilt and it was painted. Asking $1200 and I am thinking of offering $800. hehe I actually have a 10 for it sort of. problem is it's 300 miles away and I am having trouble aranging getting it.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

I put the seals in correctly. It's easy to tell which way they go. I think I pre-loaded the bearing too much when I reassambled everything. That's why I recommend replacing the whole unit. It's more of a safety issue than a cost issue to me.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:06 AM   #12
cochran63

I recently tried to rebuld my box. when i got it bolted back on it had about a half a revolution of play! After that i just bought a new one.