The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
weldvair@embarqmail.

Smile springs

I'm trying to guess as to weather I should use 4 cyl or 6 cyl Must II springs in my Must II front suspension. Any one been thru this before? If not anyone know what the original front end weight was for the AD truck.

Don
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Re: springs

what kind of ride are you looking for?

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
**grumpy**

I had a brand-new JW Rod Garage MII under my 53 Sub. We also notched the frame and raised the front c/m because I wanted it LOW!! And it had drop spindles.

Well, the first set of spring were 4cyl. and we cut a coil

It settled so much in the first week that the bottom of the front fenders would drag while just turning corners in town

So I bought a new set of 6cyl. It helps alittle, but was still hammered up front.

So I went with bags in week 3, after crunching the bottom of the drivers front fender because it dropped so low when I hit a big pothole

Here's pics.
The first pic of it with no hood in my driveway was with new 6cyl. springs, no coils cut. See how low it was!!

Then look at the pic with my camper hooked up. That's with 4 corner bags and air'd all the way up

so I learned alot building that dam thing.

Notching the front c/m was not needed! And I really didn't even need the drop spindles!!

I'll know better next time
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
weldvair@embarqmail.

Thanks for thr replies. I want a smooth ride. Those pics helped. I now have uncut 6 cyl springs , the nose/rad/&doors are off & it has not started to settle yet.
It's 6" off the ground right now w/dropped spindles. Might end up being too low.

Thanks Don
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

you can always add a polyurethane isolator (like this:http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch) on top of the spring if you need to lift it back up some once you are finished; it is a good way to tune ride height without really affecting the spring rate. just make sure to measure your springs and get the right diameter. i did that on my other truck. the motion ratio is about 1.7 on it so a 5/8" isolator raised the front end up approx. 1" and that was the clearance i needed to get out of my driveway. just measure the distance from the lower control arm pivot axis to the ball joint, then divide that by the distance from the pivot axis to the center of the spring seat, and that is the ratio, multiply that by the height of the spacer, and that is your change in ride height.

i am going for handling on mine (hoping for a decent ride) so i have some 650#/in. springs i am putting in my nova ifs. my dd truck has 1000#/in. springs on the front, and the ride is a bit rough, but it will also take a freeway interchange at 100+ mph

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'

Last edited by 1-ton of fun; 04-02-2008 at 09:14 PM.
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote