The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Skirkpat

anyone with late 70's 6 lug truck ralleys?

I grabbed a set yesterday, I think that I might have clearance issues with the rear differential , specifically where the wheel fits aver the axles in the midddle of the wheel. I have a 12 bolt .... anyone else run into this? if so did you have the wheels machined?
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
1972CST

Re: anyone with late 70's 6 lug truck ralleys?

I ran into the same thing on my 72 Blazer. I jacked the rear and pulled the wheels and drums. I let the engine idle and put the trans in drive. While the axle shaft rotated I used a carbide cutter on my air grinder and removed the necessary material. I think I only had to take off about .005 on the dia. Just remember ...... do not hit the brakes w/ the rear drums off
This may not be the correct way to do it but it sure beats pulling the shafts and having them machined. The only problem I have w/ clearancing the wheel is you may run into a problem w/ rotating them if you dont do all 4.

I say try out the "on the truck lathe"
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
I ran into the same thing on my 72 Blazer. I jacked the rear and pulled the wheels and drums. I let the engine idle and put the trans in drive. While the axle shaft rotated I used a carbide cutter on my air grinder and removed the necessary material. I think I only had to take off about .005 on the dia. Just remember ...... do not hit the brakes w/ the rear drums off
This may not be the correct way to do it but it sure beats pulling the shafts and having them machined. The only problem I have w/ clearancing the wheel is you may run into a problem w/ rotating them if you dont do all 4.

I say try out the "on the truck lathe"
That's kinda scary..LOL, Thanks for the reply, I am going to probably just set them aside and run my slotted mags untill I rebuild the rear.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Blazer1970

They should bolt right on no problem. Any interference in the center hole is just rust buildup or damage to the axle shaft or wheel.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Skirkpat

I could not see the center hole, it still had the cap bolted on, the felt like they were close, just not quite the right size, and an interference fit is not a good idea on wheels in my opinion...It may just be funk, I will sand a little and check that out, thanks.