The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

just a thought about values...

As I've mentioned, the 66 is going back to street and up for sale.
I was going to strip a LOT of the high dollar items out, and replace with more stock oriented stuff. BUT,,,,

What do you guys think?

I put a port matched supervictor and single 3310 on the motor with AFR220's,, a MSD ProBillet HEI with vacuum can,,
was going to take the Hughes TH400 (reverse patern ProTree transbrake) out and build a stock TH400 with stock VB.
Replace the Cheeta air shifter with a B&M prostick (obvious swap for a forward pattern shift)
Take the Dedenbear CC3 out
and take all of the data logger out after I got the motor in tune

BUT the though hit me that why the heck not keep the 'race' parts and attitude and just raise the price.

for example I was thinking around $14-16k for the truck in docile street form.

But what am I going to get out parts likea Holley ProRam with the dual race4150's and linkage??
Or the Hughes TH400 is a $2400 trans,, but who is going to buy ,, and what are they going to pay for a used trans. I see them on RacingJunk for under $1500,, and the CC3 controller and air shift I have well over $1200 in, isn't worth $500
And the MSD Digital 6+ and proBillet smallbody distributor, HVC coil,, a $1100 ignition.. But what's someone gonna pay for it used..The list is LONG and goes on and on...

I mean there is a point here where taking all the 'goodies' out and trying to nickle and dime the part-out,, less shipping,, and the pissing and whining of those that havent a clue what their buying and either it don't fit, or they tear crap up trying to make it fit their Honda Civic,, and then want a return!

Sooooo... Whats you guys gutt say? Is it better to leave a BUNCH of the high end stuff IN the truck (that will survive street duty) and raise the price to like $18-20k

Or take the time,, and try to sell off $10k+ in go fast stuff pieced out for whatever I can get???

The market is TOUGH here in Az. Especially with one track closed and remaining tracks in jeopardy (and looking less promising every day)

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: just a thought about values...

Since you want to sell all those parts anyway, I would just leave them in the truck and raise the price. Besides, how much of your time would it take to remove and replace those parts? And out of pocket expense for the replacements? I would imagine you would rather be doing something else during all those hours/days.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Yep , hang it out there with all the high end drag stuff and don't let them get away without the money . If it doesn't sell start pulling stuff off . Also list it on racing junk and get it nation wide . Guts up north are wanting rust free stuff we take for granted
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

At least with selling the "full" kit, the higher price (should) engage a slightly different "class" of buyer. The average enthusiast looking for a fast truck he can buy and race his friends for the $15k range, is going to have a much different understanding of the value of the race parts than a more veteran enthusiast or racer looking to upgrade his platform or buy turnkey. The additional $10k on the price and included parts would place the truck in the latter group, which despite being a smaller segment of the market, is also the segment most likely to have and be willing to spend $25k or more in cash on a truck.

Look at it this way; all of the companies that buy, restomod, and sell cars and trucks...usually aren't selling them for $12k (even if their only worth that). A higher price attracts a different buyer, and in this type of market, thats the only buyer worth dealing with if you aren't financially in NEED of the cash for the truck.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Marv D

Thanks guys,, I guess I just needed some reassurance it was a rational idea. Have to make a few 'adjustments' in the build and it actually gets it ready for market quicker. ( which is good before I change my mind and it turns into a garage ornament)

Was going through a stack of receipts,, WOW it's surprising how fast you can drop $35k into something aint it!! Started this move to take a low 12 second truck to a mid 10throttle stop ET racer in 2010. What an expensive 2 seconds!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
djracer

I say keep it and drive momma to the cruisin. Advertise it high and see what happens but if you don't get legit offers just keep it. If you sell it you will probably wish you had not!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If I was in the market for a drag truck and had the means to the finances... I'd buy it in a heartbeat with all the go fast stuff in there.

But alas... I'm broke...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
nxtruck

Marv,
If I were you, I'd leave it intact and advertise it higher, like everyone else has said. Although, I tend to agree with Kevin and would also make the suggestion of keeping it and hitting the cruise scene with it. Since I have had my '65 C-10 driver, I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of just driving the thing, both to work most days and also to some of the local cruise nights. Not having to worry about this or that with this truck like I do with the '66 is part of the enjoyment.
With that said, you gotta do what's right for you. I wish you luck with whatever you decide!
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
I say keep it and drive momma to the cruisin. Advertise it high and see what happens but if you don't get legit offers just keep it. If you sell it you will probably wish you had not!
X2 on this. I have sold a few toys in the past thinking I would focus my efforts else where and regretted it almost instantly everytime. Drive it with a for sale sign in the back glass with a price that justifies leaving all the good stuff in it and if someone comes along that wants it bad enough,they'll pay. If not, you'll have a bad a$$ street truck you can still go play in and have fun.
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Marv D

If I didn't have too many toys already..... I would keep it. But the last time this was a cruiser it sat for 5-8 months at a time not being driven. Now I have the El Camino finished and it is the 'cruise to the shows' toy, have no room. This just needs to go.

A BUNCH of this stuff is stupid overkill for street,, but,, I guess it will stay that way and let someone build what they want out of it.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
A BUNCH of this stuff is stupid overkill for street,, but,, I guess it will stay that way and let someone build what they want out of it.
Marv, I'm thinking you haven't noticed the slight escalation in the term "street car" hahah. At this point, people gravitate to the stupid-overkill-is-just-enough theory (its why the Hellcat even exists).

Better for you!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
ptc

Yea I have to agree.... Grandmas car is now rated at 550HP minimum.... so if it aint 800-900hp it aint "STREET" worthy!!!!

Last edited by ptc; 02-15-2016 at 05:56 PM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote