The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

its official!

swapped the cab from my C10 chassis to my K10 chassis yesterday, finally got the finishing touches on cleanup tonight. if any of you ever think about doing a cab swap by yourself, do yourself a huge favor. JUMP OFF A @!$% CLIFF! what a PITA it was. i put 4x4s under the rockers and jacked them up a few inches at a time, supporting it on jackstands. i needed 3 feet of clearance from the driveway to the bottom of the 4x4s in order to roll the K10 frame under it. thank god for cinder blocks and 24" jaskstands!
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dang buddy, why don't you just hit yourself in the head with a hammer. I know you have lots of buddies that you are always helping on their trucks. Where the heck were they when you were doing this? I won't even go in to the unsafe sounding part of it.

I'll give you credit for being persistant though

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Ken, its all in being hard headed, persistant, and impatient. it doesnt help matters much that i'm not afraid to work hard to achieve my goals. all of my truck buddies are either sick, or are working 2nd shift, or my prime working time. Tim would've been more than willing to help, and he has told me so several times. just doesnt help that he lives 2 1/2 hours away. i wanted it done, and i wanted it done NOW. so i had one choice.

i got an IM on this when i posted it up on CK5. no, i didnt strip the interior out or the doors off, complete AC cab. so it was no lightweight.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
Ken, its all in being hard headed, persistant, and impatient.....
Yeah but I already knew all that I was once all of those too. I replaced those fine qualities with bald headed, inconsistant, and constipated.

Ok, so I'll give you a nanner for your hard work and perserveriance. My next question is "where's tha pics"...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Thats when my skidsteer comes in being quite handy

Nicely done though man!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
85Silverado

dang....me and my friend carried his cab when we did his frame off resto...granted there was nothing on it...no doors or anything...just the front and rear windshields...it was heavy but it was do-able as long as you didn't have to carry it to far.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

you sound like me, very very impatiant
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jeremy,

sounds like something I would have done. I don't have any truck buddies, so it's me or no one. I have buddies, or not really buddies, but guys who would help me I guess, but sometimes, you just don't want them in the way, you know? I guess I'm so danged pickey and anal, I do it by myself. This way if something's not right, I don't have anyone to blame but myself.

Cudos on the swap. I do admire folks who attempt and complete something of this nature. Most would wimp out and get a gang of guys over, buy beer and make a party of it. When I'm working on my truck, I prefer to leave the partys until the work is done. I've been through the drunken stupers and mechanicing before. It's not a pretty picture.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #9
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
This way if something's not right, I don't have anyone to blame but myself.
you mean like the dents in the back of my cab from the bulkhead? i attempted to get the 4x4s under the back of the cab myself last week, and ended up lifting the front, but not the back. my sister's boyfriend showed up and i had him strap the pipe i was using to lift the cab (as a lever, using the front 4x4 as the fulcrum) to the frame so i could get the 4x4 in, and then had him unstrap it when i was ready to drop it back down.