The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
lasher78

weather strip question?

ok i have done searches for this and all i have found are several yrs old and no pics..so here it goes....

what kind of cab rubbers does everyone use...i mean who has best product here in 2013. ihave read on a lot of other threads to stay away from lmc's rubber kits. i have heard good things about gmc pauls. it was mentioned that some 60-66 owners had purchased his push on doorseals for the 67-72 and used them on our trucks and it worked good. has anyone here done this and if so could you post some pics of how it looks close up and what mods had to be made if any.

if anyone could post pics of their door seals that they got from anyone else and the peos and cons that went along that would be great...

thanks to all that help us new guys get going done the right roads....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: weather strip question?

I used LMC door edge rubber on my 65 C10. No issues, no complaints. Took a bit for the doors to squish the rubber but now they close snug and no wind noise.

I used LMC Window kit for the doors. Channels and felts and division bar, okay, no worries. Vent window rubber, okay no worries. Vent Window riveted on rubber, okay but a bit thick. The vent windows are hard to close but been greasing the edges and with the heat, things are slowly workin into place and I can open/close one of the two vents with no trouble....may have to trim/thin that riveted on rubber just a touch though.

Pics of the install of both are in the Official John Lee Jr thread, this forum.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
K98AL

I used the LMC vent window kit as well, worked good. The door seals did not work so well, being the knee-knocker design may not have helped....
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
lasher78

lets keep the info and some pics coming.....need lots more to make informed choice.....

thanks to have replied so far..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
spacedebris

I'm sorry that I cannot offer any first hand experience, I'm still a long way from being ready. However, I have been paying attention to all the threads about the weather strip for the last year or so.

Seems that the strip from LMC, Brothers, Truck and car shop and others have all been hit and miss. Mostly miss. Almost all posts have been saying how poorly these kits actually fit. There is always the exception like Sharps40 who had good results but most have the opposite result.

However, everything I have seen and heard about http://www.steelerubber.com/ has been positive. The kits from steel seem to be a good fit and I have yet to see any posts about a bad fit from them. I actually bookmarked them in my "truck" folder as one of the places I plan to purchase from when ready.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
ChuckW

I agree with everything that Sharps40 said down to his last period!
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
lasher78

to top
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Andice

I used the 67-72 door seals from GMC Pauls and am very pleased with it. No mess, easy to remove and reinstall and it looks god and makes a good seal. I have my strikers adjusted all the way out and hope to begin adjusting them in a little in the coming weeks. Seals have been installed for a month. Sorry, but this is the best picture that I have. I have since screwed down the sill plates without any problems and I've straightened out the bottom edge which looks uneven in the photo.
Attached Images

Andice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
MisterC

Thanks for the photo Andice. I've been dying to see those installed in one of our trucks.

For those of you that don't know about these, they are "push-on" seals and require no adhesive. I like that because I can install them now and then remove them when the time comes for paint and then re-install afterward.

They're designed for the 67-72 models and Paul states that they cause the door to be difficult to close, but as Andice said, they get better with time.

Thanks again.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Back when I was a pup and drove Mopars we used lynn steel rubber. Fit was good but it dryed/cracked in a year. No innerweb then and we dispared of ever findin quality rubbers. Then marriage and a family and 26 years later back into Chevys and Good Rubbers still seem hard to come by. Seems I got lucky on the Lmc kits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Vernski

I enclosed some pictures of the seal you can visually see one is bigger than the other. The larger one has a oreintal origin and for whatever reason is not made right. The smaller of the two is made by steelrubberproducts.com It fits well and you can close your doors without having to tie your doors shut. Haven't noticed any drying of the seal, they were installed early spring still nice & soft.
No amount of hinge adjustment or striker plate movement worked with the thick seal before and now these fit. I can't say anything bad about the LMC seals haven't used them, but I'm well pleased with what I chose..Vernski
Attached Images

Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
lasher78

thanks Andice...that is exactly what i am lookin for...thanks for photo..what year is your truck?

keep the photos coming guys...i know alot of us would like to see more of the 67-72 rubbers on our trucks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
lasher78

o yeah...and are there rubber seals on door itself along with ones on cab like modern trucks or is it only the one on cab?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasher78 View Post
o yeah...and are there rubber seals on door itself along with ones on cab like modern trucks or is it only the one on cab?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't understand what you mean there is only one seal the one that glues or sticks if your using that type, it glues sticks to the lip on the cab. BTW my truck is a 65 if yours is 63 or earlier some people put an extra seal on the door trying to seal them up is that what you mean? The factory only put one seal on them, show me a pic..Vernski
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
lasher78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Don't understand what you mean there is only one seal the one that glues or sticks if your using that type, it glues sticks to the lip on the cab. BTW my truck is a 65 if yours is 63 or earlier some people put an extra seal on the door trying to seal them up is that what you mean? The factory only put one seal on them, show me a pic..Vernski
yes that is what i was askin saw one that had rubber on cab lip but also on door itself so that is what confused me...i thought that it only took ome. my truck is a 67 c10 stepper.

also saw on here some where that you could go to junkyard and just get pushon seal out of a new model truck and it would work as well just had to cut length down..has any one here done that and how did it work out and what year truck did you actually get it from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
Vernski

Quote:
yes that is what i was askin saw one that had rubber on cab lip but also on door itself so that is what confused me...i thought that it only took ome. my truck is a 67 c10 stepper.

also saw on here some where that you could go to junkyard and just get pushon seal out of a new model truck and it would work as well just had to cut length down..has any one here done that and how did it work out and what year truck did you actually get it from?
Posted via Mobile Device
The answer to your question in you last paragraph is in post #9 by mister C
Vernski
Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
lasher78

opps that is a supposed to be a 66 c10 stepper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
lasher78

thanks vernski...but what i actually meant was on another thread some where someone said they used the weather strip from a truck from late 90s early 2000 and it actually fit very good and worked great and he got both for like 10 bucks from junk yard. and of course now i cant find that thread to see what truck exactlly it was....hoping someone will see this and repost it..
i cant even find any 67-72s around here yards got crush happy, such a shame..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
Vernski

Quote:
thanks vernski...but what i actually meant was on another thread some where someone said they used the weather strip from a truck from late 90s early 2000 and it actually fit very good and worked great and he got both for like 10 bucks from junk yard. and of course now i cant find that thread to see what truck exactlly it was....hoping someone will see this and repost it..
i cant even find any 67-72s around here yards got crush happy, such a shame..
Posted via Mobile Device
OK so if you run across that thread please post it, there maybe someone using it maybe will post it up also the new idea's are always cool.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
Andice

My truck is a '64 and I, too, have heard of later (90's?) model truck door seals being used on 60-66 trucks. Somewhere on this site I suppose.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
lasher78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
OK so if you run across that thread please post it, there maybe someone using it maybe will post it up also the new idea's are always cool.

i think it was a 97 dodge dakota...hopefully someone that has done it or seen it on here will chime in..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
lasher78

well went out today to take a look at the lip seals would go on and giess what i found....at the bottom where the sill plate should go if i would have had sill plates and there is no lip all the way across..smooth as a babys butt. lip runs down both sides and hits the floor. so i guess that means im gonna have problems huh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #23
Andice

Yep..... big problems. You can always install a new rocker panel. Are both doors that way?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
lasher78

yep both doors...rockers are solid..its like someone cut em out to make it competely smooth transirion from floor boards to rocker....truck is already painted so cuttin rockers out and puttin in new not really an option.

guess i can just put rubber across top and down sides to help with rain and hope for best....got to love it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #25
Vernski

Quote:
yep both doors...rockers are solid..its like someone cut em out to make it competely smooth transirion from floor boards to rocker....truck is already painted so cuttin rockers out and puttin in new not really an option.

guess i can just put rubber across top and down sides to help with rain and hope for best....got to love it
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have the sill plates that screw down they hold the seal down?..Vernski