The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Seat belt Q's

I have a 72 custom deluxe and the stock bench seat came with the dissasembled truck when I got it. At the time I didnt know what all to make sure I had when I picked up the parts out of the guys garage later to find I was missing more than a few important items. I have the male seat belt parts that bolt to the cab floor but I do not have the female ones that come up through the seat. The male belts only have about 2 0r 3 feet of spooled belt I assume this is because the middle belts are longest?
I also noticed that My truck has the mounting holes for the 3 piece shoulder lap style belts at the top of the cab. Does this mean that the truck came with 3 point shoulder type belts? Or are they there as an optional addition later on?

I am going to the junk yards today to see if I can find some center belts that will mount to the original holes in the floor.

Last edited by xfsketch; 07-06-2006 at 10:31 AM.
xfsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Seat belt photos?

These trucks did have the option of a shoulder belt, but hardly any trucks had them installed, so most trucks, like yours (and mine) had a plastic cap where the bolt holes are. That's correct, the female parts were all adjustable length straps (even for the driver and passenger seats).

There's a set on ebay right now, althought the price is pretty steep. It will give you an idea of what they look like though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68...spagenameZWDVW
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Wow thanx for the fast reply! 67 chevy Redneck. Those are some pricey belts but I hear the black ones are always pricey. I hope I can find something at the yard that will bolt right up and work for me. I guess if the bolt holes arent the same I could always drill them out and use a nut and bolt to install the newer belts. Thanks for clearing things up.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
farside847

I used these, I think they are out of a pontiac...
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
I used these, I think they are out of a pontiac...
Those look pretty descent. The stock ones I have are white so no doubt whatever I find at the yard wont match. I will post what I end up using. Thanx for the pic!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
soonrfish

Quote:
Those are some pricey belts but I hear the black ones are always pricey
yes they are. I was able to get lucky and find some black ones that didnt retract, but I was able to switch out my original springs to make them work. Gave 50 plus shipping, so keep your eye out. Only problem is I was looking for over a year because I wasnt interested in paying 150 for a set...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Looks like you got a great deal soonrfish! I went to the local yards and most of the s-10s I looked at were really rusted and taking the belts off of em would be a chore. It wasnt until someone told me that advanced auto sold lap belts for pickups and go karts etc. $15 - $30 a pair. They are black and not very fancy but will do the job. I took my seat off the tracks and started puting the new female ends on today. I am going to use the original spring loaded spools for the male ends and have my aunt (seemstress) sew them onto the old spools. These ones will do until I find some better ones down the road. I will post pictures when I am done. Thanx guys for all your help!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Sgt.Booya

xfsketch, I can't sell anything here, but a have a few extra female seat belts (blue). I'd be happy to give them to you if you want them. No charge....just whatever it costs for shipping.

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Booya
xfsketch, I can't sell anything here, but a have a few extra female seat belts (blue). I'd be happy to give them to you if you want them. No charge....just whatever it costs for shipping.

Thank you so much for the offer! I do appreciate it. I will keep it in mind and get back to you. As of right now I want to see how these cheapos I got work.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

I will post pics tomorrow of the cheapos but they seemed to do just fine. Thank you so much for offering the others but I think I will stick with these ones. You guys really are a ton of help and very kind.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
RicksTrucks

Hadn't kept up with what the black ones have been going for. May have to dig mine out and sell them sometime. I may have some orphans if you just need one or two of the middle ones.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #12
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Here are the seat belts I got. I used the old spring spools that retract the male ends. They arent bad I dont think for the $. Both belts ran me $30. I know they arent original but not everything on my truck is original anyway. Tell me what you guys think did I do alright?
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
dharhigh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksTrucks
Hadn't kept up with what the black ones have been going for. May have to dig mine out and sell them sometime. I may have some orphans if you just need one or two of the middle ones.
I am also looking for seat belts for my 72, that is great news about Advance auto. I would be interested in the center belts if you want to get rid of them.
Thanks,
Dan
dharhigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharhigh1
I am also looking for seat belts for my 72, that is great news about Advance auto.
Dan
Just go to auto zone or Advanced and ask for lap belts for go karts and pickups and they will know what your talking about.That is if you dont get the middle ones from ricks trucks. The only thing I dont like about the ones I got is that they dont say GM on the buckle but for the $ they really arent bad at all and an easy install with pretty good instructions. Later on I plan on having my aunt whos a seemstress sew the center ones into the others so three can ride up front legally.

Instructions?!! (throws them away) we don't need no freakin Instructions!!! LOL.

Last edited by xfsketch; 07-13-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
dharhigh1

I got them an put them in today, I think they will be fine for now.
Thanks again,
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfsketch
Just go to auto zone or Advanced and ask for lap belts for go karts and pickups and they will know what your talking about.That is if you dont get the middle ones from ricks trucks. The only thing I dont like about the ones I got is that they dont say GM on the buckle but for the $ they really arent bad at all and an easy install with pretty good instructions. Later on I plan on having my aunt whos a seemstress sew the center ones into the others so three can ride up front legally.

Instructions?!! (throws them away) we don't need no freakin Instructions!!! LOL.
dharhigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #16
stope4

Farside, those belts look like 69 camaro or chevelle deluxe belts. Why would you want those in a pickup. Probably worth much more sold.
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:07 AM   #17
wibilly

stope4 i don't belive them belts are near that old. if they were the hole in the male belt would be rectangular and not square
Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #18
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharhigh1
I got them an put them in today, I think they will be fine for now.
Thanks again,
Dan
Your quite welcome! You say that you installed them? Just a side note: If you used the trucks existing spring loaded spool that winds the male end in, it requires some sewing but I didnt sew mine. I just double wrapped it around the spool and put it back together. When finished I did some tests and jerked them real hard to see if they would come out and they didnt. I am a perfectionist of sorts so I will eventually have my aunt sew them on to the spools.