The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Ricos54

Door alignment how do you I fix it?

So keep the rain gutters. So with that said, I can't get the proper gaps I need on both side of my doors, are any of you guy's having this problem? I was told I need a 1/8" gap on both sides of my doors to make room for paint and the door opening and closing. How do I fix this problem?

Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Iceburgh

Re: Door alignment how do you I fix it?

Without cutting metal you can't get these doors perfect.
Not sure you want to do that at this point.
I don't think they look bad
Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
mr48chev

I have reshaped the door jamb with a porta-power on mine after it was in a wreck. You might talk to a bodyman about spreading the door opening just enough to get the gap right. It isn't going to take much though. Most of us fight gaps that are noticeably uneven rather than being very even and tight.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
Donaldo

I suggest you make sure both upper and lower hinge pins are in good order before making other adjustments.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Ricos54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
I suggest you make sure both upper and lower hinge pins are in good order before making other adjustments.
Guess I should mention I had all 4 hinges rebuilt, so they are like new again?
I looked at my passenger door last night and it's not as bad as the driver side. I made sure one side was as good as it could get which was towards the back. Near the bottom it got tight so about 12" from the bottom up I grinded on it until I had a gap pretty even all the way up.(I use a grinding wheel that was like sand paper 40 grit) I grinded right thought the layer of the fold of the door so I slowly took my time and welded the edge back together. Now one edge looks good and don't know if it's 1/8" but I think it's enough for paint and it opening without issue's. Guess I'm goin to try doing the front of the door today. We will see how it go's. I will post pictures up because I know there's people like me that have no clue what to do. We will see if I screw things up or not. Guess worst case I will have to get new doors and start over. Building these trucks from the ground up is not for the faint at heart. I find you learn what to do, then go for it it's only metal.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

your only going to get it close. Once you put in the weather strip around the doors the door is going to be a different beast . You will have to readjust it then as well. Dont forget to put the clips on the inner fender edge of the door to keep the seal from getting pinched when you close the door
1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Ricos54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952 View Post
your only going to get it close. Once you put in the weather strip around the doors the door is going to be a different beast . You will have to readjust it then as well. Dont forget to put the clips on the inner fender edge of the door to keep the seal from getting pinched when you close the door
Not sure what clips you are referring to? Do you have a picture? When I bought my truck it was completely empty so I need to see what clips because I have to buy everything for this truck.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Ricos54

What a long day, the doors are almost done finished the passenger because that was the easiest. The driver I had to cut both sides down, 1/16" on one side 1/8" on the other. Looks good now, just have to finish stitching up the driver's door. Should start the body filler Saturday afternoon and hopefully finish up Sunday. Should have a a good coat of finish sand Monday or Tuseday then will post pictures up to show the difference