The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
Happy_dan

Harmonic Balancer

I have pulled my engine from my 68 C-20 327 4BBl automatic to replace all seals etc.

I have putting together a parts list and decided I wanted to get a new Harmonic Damper/balancer.

I see a lot of options but not sure what affect different sizes would have. I put a tape measure across mine and see 6 1/4". But when I shop, I find lots of different sizes but very few 6 1/4". Can I use a 6 3/4 or other sizes or will affect timing marks etc?

I am going pull my crankshaft and camshaft, measure all tolerances. Replace rod bearing and probably mains, oil pump and depending on measurement, maybe cam and lifters. I will hone the cylinders and measure and get new rings.

Heads are already at machine shop so valve seals will be replace, seats ground if needed and if needed, replaced. They will check them all out.

Hopefully when done, no more burning oil or leaking oil!

Thanks for any information on balancer, I am not too familiar with the differences, I fully expected to just do a search of Summit, Jegs and others and find a 6.250 sotck balancer. Not doing anything for more performance, just want a nice driver that is reliable and not having to put oil in every time I use it.
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Front of the crank drilled and tapped? You could use an 8 if you want, but I would make sure you can bolt it on instead of pressing it on
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
tinman_local2

I put a new 6 3/4" on my 350. I believe any diameter will work as long as it fits the crank. I got mine through my machine shop. His price was less than O'reilly's, Rockauto, or any of the other big name places. If your having your heads worked on at the machine shop, ask their opinion.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Mike_The_Grad

Theres a guy online. Harmonic balancer Doctor. Out of northern ca. He rebuilt the balancer for my dads 292 i6. "Laser balanced " guaranteed to work. Might wanna google him.
FYI, my dads truck runs like a top with the new rebuilt 292 in it. His is a 1964 c10. No power steering, no power brakes. Leaks a little oil because of the OEM valve cover he wanted to keep on it. He drives it every chance he gets. Good luck with your build.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Happy_dan

Is this the place?

https://www.damperdoctor.com/
2012 Camaro ZL1
Old 12-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
Mike_The_Grad

That be it. The guy was pretty nice. I actually had 2 balancers for my dads 292. One was a 2 groove the other a 3 groove. Well the owner was real interested in the 3 groove balancer and since I only needed one he made me a deal. Give him the 3 groove balancer and he would rebuild the 2 groove for free. Cost me $50 in shipping to get a new rebuilt balancer. He made out though. I found out later that the 3 groove balancers go for about $400. Oh well, didnt need it, still dont. And balancer I got looks brand new and spins nice and straight no issues. I think you're going about it the right way if you hang on to what you got and get it rebuilt. You know it fits and it's the coŕrect one for your motor. Better than anything from overseas.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Happy_dan

Thank you, I sent a message to ask them about it.
2012 Camaro ZL1