The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
yoyokidss

Mufflers

Has anyone ever mount a 2 chamber flowmaster 40series under the cab of thes trucks?? does the rumble drive you nuts? its the ideal place to put it tho.
yoyokidss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
zerwar
Sgt. Z

Re: Mufflers

I have them turned on their sides along side the drive shaft near the rear of the truck. Fits fine, never any issues. I do know that my flowmasters get pretty hot, not sure if I would want the extra furnace under my seat

just my 2 cents, everyone likes it a little different.

Quote:
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human~The Matrix
zerwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Texasdeere

I like Flows. I have Super 40s on my truck under the bed with headers too. The sound is great a little loud but the drone in the cab is horrible. I have no carpet in my truck or insulation. I am thinking off switching to 50 series 3 chamber mufflers or tubo mufflers.

So I would have to say, It drives me nuts!
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
Peter82
Everything is Custom

Not sure what i got but here are some pics. that kick out the side of the truck. i think i want some dodge viper exhausts. ha ha. just under the door. or classic corvet pipes.
Attached Images

Peter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
hemihead

I have 40's under the box with tail pipes out the side behind the rear tires. Not to loud when cruising and sound awesome when you open up the secondaries.

Last edited by hemihead; 08-26-2007 at 09:07 PM.
hemihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
J-Rod
GMC Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter82 View Post
Not sure what i got but here are some pics. that kick out the side of the truck. i think i want some dodge viper exhausts. ha ha. just under the door. or classic corvet pipes.
I've never seen anyone put clamps on flows before.

SOLD: WAY TOO MANY TO LIST HERE [/FONT][/SIZE]
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasC10 View Post
....The sound is great a little loud but the drone in the cab is horrible.
I agree with Texas.

I have 40s in my truck, behind shorty headers. The exhaust goes through the crossmember and ends just at the rear end because of the bagged stance. The drone in my cab is fairly annoying, and this is with sound matting on the floor, back of the cab and on the roof under headliner. The headliner and roof sound matting helped alot but I still have to have to have the stereo turned past half volume to even hear it! I am thinking some quieter mufflers will go on next spring...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
67sleeper

I didn't know there was such a thing as too loud anyway. That is my plan to put 40 series right at the end of my headers so I can run the exhaust out before the rear tires. right now all I have are headers and about 6 inches of pipe, no mufflers, and the noise doesn't bother me but I've always liked 'em loud to annoy as many people as possible.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sleeper View Post
right now all I have are headers and about 6 inches of pipe, no mufflers, and the noise doesn't bother me but I've always liked 'em loud to annoy as many people as possible.
Loud is proud, but how can you have sleeper with no mufflers?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Mine are under the cab. There is no insulation or carpet on the floor of the cab. Pipes run out just in front of the rear tires. You know it drones, but you get used to it. If it wasn't loud, someone would think it would run better than it does. Besides, it's fun to set off a few car alarms.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 08-26-2007 at 11:20 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
67sleeper

You figured me out big sky, I am not the sleeper type. Back when I started this account that was the plan but as I made different choices throughout the build i figured out it just was not my personality. I read on the site rules that you can't start another account or they consider it a dummy and delete it. So I am stuck with the sleeper name. LOUDER = BETTER. IMO anyways.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
You figured me out big sky, I am not the sleeper type. Back when I started this account that was the plan but as I made different choices throughout the build i figured out it just was not my personality. I read on the site rules that you can't start another account or they consider it a dummy and delete it. So I am stuck with the sleeper name. LOUDER = BETTER. IMO anyways.

You can PM a Moderator and they can help you out with a user ID change, I have seen a one or two members do it in the past.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
You can PM a Moderator and they can help you out with a user ID change, I have seen a one or two members do it in the past.
You should do it now before you have a ton of posts. (you will loose them)
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
BP68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky71 View Post
Loud is proud, but how can you have sleeper with no mufflers?
The answer to the above question... electric cutouts. Loud and proud with the flip of a switch. hahaha

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

has any body ran there flowmasters at the tail end of the truck? i have 40 series and when i go to reinstall them i am thinking about running them at the rear.........there was a blue nova a few years bcak on the cover of super chevy that had them lran like this.......it looked killer IMO on that car.........anybody remember this cover......and whats your thaughts on running them out the rear.....it would free up alot of clearance issues unless your running a rear tank........
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #16
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasC10 View Post
I have no carpet in my truck or insulation. I am thinking off switching to 50 series 3 chamber mufflers or tubo mufflers.

I put a single 50 series on a y pipe with stock routing and 3" tubing on my 88 Blazer. My interior is like yours and it is also L-O-U-D. With duals, it would be even more so probably. It does sound good though, not glass pack irritating. My 75 has duals with 40 series muffs ---- it isnot a lot louder but has a completely different tone
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
Texasdeere

Hey streetstar,

I have 50 series on my 78 454 with stock manifolds and 2.5" pipe and it is nice and mild.

The 72 has a 402 with full headers, 3" pipe and super 40s. It sounds cool but has too much drone. I kind of wish I went with 2.5" pipe at least.

I think some of my problem is the headers and 3 inch pipe combo.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
SactoJim

I know they are pretty spendy, but has anyone run Borla's?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #19
67L30WGN

Not on my truck, but I have headers and 2.5" dual pipe into 40's dumping just ahead of the rear axle of my '65 Nova SS. I tend to set off car alarms. It sounds wicked outside, but inside, the loud drone is tiring/headache inducing on a long trip. I'll be changing to quieter mufflers once I figure out what combo makes the mellower rumble I'm looking for.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 HT
1962 Nash Metropolitan Convertible (Wife's car)
67L30WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
willis0107
67lwb

a little out of the brand but I had a dodge ram 1500 with a v6 running 2.75 inch pipes to a 40 series then coming out at 3.5 the drone in the cab was ridiculous I hated my self for it. Then again I had a 2001 f150 with 40 series stock size pipes and dual exits with 24" x 4" tips and it sounded great the sound in the cab was just right. the sound outside even better. I don't like to run strait pipes the engine needs back pressure i would never run a truck with out some sort of muffler or even run zoomies its a good way to start burning valves out. I had 40's on my 67 with 3" pipes exiting just in front of the rear wheels I'll be going with 3.5 then exiting with 3 when I redo the exhaust this time. the sound in the cab was annoying to the point you could not talk to your wife
willis0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
Psycho71

I've got 2.5" flows under the cab of my '71 that turn down just behind the cab. There is about 12" of pipe between them, and the Hookers (with an H-pipe in the middle). They are so loud at around 30-45mph you can't even hear yourself think. It drives me nuts.

There is only carpet on the floor. No insulation what-so-ever. I'm gettin ready to dyna mat the whole interior, hopefully it'll help in more ways than just the exhaust noise. If it doesn't tame the noise, I'll put'em under the bed too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the loud factor. I just like to be able to hear the person in the passenger seat, and maybe even hear my phone ring, while cruizing.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
Classic69
Love That '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
I know they are pretty spendy, but has anyone run Borla's?
I may not have Borla's, but I have something very similar. I run polished stainless, dual 14" magnaflows with 2.25" pipe, dynomax ceramic coated headers, and 3.5" stainless magnaflow tips running straight out the back. In my opinion, it sounds deeper/throatier and is a bit quieter than the flowmasters, plus it doesn't have any drone at any RPM. My buddy has the original flowmaster 40 series on his '98 dakota R/T, so that is what I am comparing it to.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
has any body ran there flowmasters at the tail end of the truck? i have 40 series and when i go to reinstall them i am thinking about running them at the rear.........there was a blue nova a few years bcak on the cover of super chevy that had them lran like this.......it looked killer IMO on that car.........anybody remember this cover......and whats your thaughts on running them out the rear.....it would free up alot of clearance issues unless your running a rear tank........
Have you installed your 40 series like this yet? I would love to see some pics if you have...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 01-06-2008 at 09:03 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #24
cstm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
i just got my 40's and im planing in running the pipes all the way out the back. i do have a rear tank but the exhaust i have now runs all the way back and clears the tank so i just run the pipes just how they are now.

( i will post pics of how it it set up )
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
SactoJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic69 View Post
I may not have Borla's, but I have something very similar. I run polished stainless, dual 14" magnaflows with 2.25" pipe, dynomax ceramic coated headers, and 3.5" stainless magnaflow tips running straight out the back. In my opinion, it sounds deeper/throatier and is a bit quieter than the flowmasters, plus it doesn't have any drone at any RPM. My buddy has the original flowmaster 40 series on his '98 dakota R/T, so that is what I am comparing it to.
What I want to make sure I don't end up with is that "glass pack" sound when under acceleration. I get the impression that many of the straight through packed designs sound like glass packs at higher RPM's. I use to have some Edelbrock RPM muffs on another truck a few years back and they sounded nice (pretty quiet too) at idle, but had that "glass pack" sound when on it hard, which I personally am not very fond of.

For you all that have the straight through type of mufflers.....is this so?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote