The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
mattfrediani

Steel to wood Bed? Can it be done?

Hey guys Im pretty new here so thank you for all the help for answering my posts. This has been by far the best source of info I could ask for.

My first question is why can't I post pictures If I am a paid member?
I have done a ton of work and would like to show you guys. I took a gutted 1970 and turned it into a 1971 or 72 clone Cheyenne K-20

when trying to upload an attachment it says to notify the administrator because a security token is missing. ????

The big question is my wife likes the wood beds we see at car shows, my 3/4 ton 4x4 has a steel bed that has never been apart and has a decent paint job. How hard is it to remove the steel bed floor and put a nice wood kit in it? or is it better to leave it alone?

Thx
Matt
mattfrediani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Steel to wood Bed? Can it be done?

go down to "additional options", hit the "manage attachments" button, it'll go to "choose file", pick to option, and then hit the upload button, go down to the bottom and choose "close this window". That should do it. Be advised that iPhones and iPads will post them upside down for some reason, so don't be frustrated.
About the bed,
Yes you can convert steel to wood, or vis versa.
It may require some drilling but if get the wood, bolts, and hold straps, it's a bolt it.
I'm sure there are a couple other things that have to be changed, but nothing major.
Just save your good steel for if you ever want to go back
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
Smitty

Go to the Mar K website. They have kits and a ton on information. They are in Oklahoma City and make their own parts. Just bought polished stainless strips and bolt kit. I'm doing a steel to wood on a 71 Short Wide.
https://www.mar-k.com/
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You have to take the entire bed apart, and off the truck. No, it's not a simple "swap."

The front header panel is different.

The rear painted panel at the bottom that is bolted and tack welded to the bedsides is different (It's part of the steel floor, it's a separate piece with wood bed trucks).

All of the floor braces are different.

I would leave it alone

What I have seen some people do is put a false wood floor on top of a steel floor. Some like it, some don't. I've seen a couple that look good and some that look terrible.

I've run into that problem before with the pics... they're too large for the forum. You have to resize them, the max size is 642 Pixels.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfrediani View Post

The big question is my wife likes the wood beds we see at car shows, my 3/4 ton 4x4 has a steel bed that has never been apart and has a decent paint job.

Thx
Matt
I agree with your wife. One of the things I really love about my truck is the wood bed. Which is kinda funny, being how abusive I can be to truck beds... But hey, cool is cool!!! And wood beds are pretty cool! But your painted iron in going to maintenance free! So the cool factor will come at a price, it's not fire and forget!

Wood bed! Great idea!
Name:  20160709_171853.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  31.3 KB
Old 11-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I agree with your wife. One of the things I really love about my truck is the wood bed. Which is kinda funny, being how abusive I can be to truck beds... But hey, cool is cool!!! And wood beds are pretty cool! But your painted iron in going to maintenance free! So the cool factor will come at a price, it's not fire and forget!:
Yeah. I'd love to have a nice wood bed to go over my steel floor. But, with about $50, a chop saw, a jig saw and a couple of afternoon's "work", I installed this flooring.

About five years ago, someone said it wouldn't hold up. I admit that for REAL work, the numbered panels come out (5 min). And go back in (15 min).

Not to everyone's taste. But if you just want to check out how much of a pain wood can be in a working truck, you can try this out "on the cheap" with little risk. You might just fall back in love with your steelie.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

The build.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Overdriven

magwakeenercew2jh I think it looks pretty good. Not crazy about the seams, if they weren't beveled I probably wouldn't care at all, but it's great for what it is so who cares.

If the steel floor is in good shape I'd keep it, way too much work to swap to a wood floor. There's gotta be similar laminate type flooring available in longer lengths (or just without bevels at the ends of the boards) to do something similar to the above and get rid of some seams. Even if you had to pay more for the longer boards you'd still be much lower in cost and way ahead in labor compared to converting to a wood floor. Those thin boards make it easy to use some low profile stainless strips front and back. Looks way better than thicker boards would in my opinion. My truck the previous owner put some old weathered deck boards in the bed, looks ok but I cringe every time I drop the tailgate and see the ends of the thick boards.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
69 c10 - dsm

It can definitely be done, but it comes with a price too. Here is mine at the beginning stages and I can tell you it was a CHORE. I would seriously consider putting in a Show Deck Package from Bruce Horkey's Wood and Parts: http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/index.php

I am very happy with the quality of their products and the service and help that I received when ordering and picking up the kit I installed. I don't have a finished photo, I forgot to take one prior to taking the truck to the body shop for finish paint.

Good luck!
Attached Images

69 c10 - dsm is offline   Reply With Quote