The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Pipesmatt

Help, quadrajet guys...

I just picked up a new quadrajet for my stock 72 c20. What are these holes on the throttle body? And what gasket do you recommend for my intake to carb? I got a rebuild kit for the carb and the base gasket covers this passage/hole.... also, should i use an open base gasket or isolate off each port on my intake manifold? Thank you for your time and help..
Attached Images

Pipesmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Doug's68SS

Re: Help, quadrajet guys...

the guy who wrote that book, Cliff has a WEB page and is very helpful. I sent My CARB to him and he rebuilt it to match my Motor. when you call he usually answers the phone.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
davepl

Yep, and after he answers the phone he'll tell you he's backed up for 9 months! Or at least he was when I tried... so plan ahead! Dude needs some Q-Jet interns, not just to speed it up, but to pass along the craft.

Total wild-ass guess, but there was a different intake manifold setup for 69 (and maybe one year either side of that) where there was a special gasket package with a steel shim that helped seal off that year's rather curious heat crossover. Without the right gaskets, you leak vacuum to the exhaust crossover in a massive leak. So while I can't help you be certain, make sure you do have the right setup for that carb or it'll be grim...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Orange Crate

I say slap that thing on and report back what happens! That way people will come to you for advice....
Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Pipesmatt

Thanks guys... trial and error.. i had a nice vacuum leak coming from my intake manifold so i replaced the gaskets... pretty weird but i was still getting good vac at idle (fluctuated from 20Hg to 22Hg at 650 rmp, timing at 10btdc. But it was a pain tuning my carb, (im about to rebuild my old 72' quadrajet and play with the two.. i was just curious about the different throttle bodies.. trial and error i guess.. Im far from a mechanic, but im learning lots and tackling this bad boy piece by piece. Thanks guys
Pipesmatt is offline   Reply With Quote