The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
greenbd71

Vent windows from hell!!!

Replaced all weather strip on truck and stuck on the window vents. The window weather strip keeps popping up at the bottom as I turn the window to close it. The replacement weather strip is so thick compared to the original parts. I thought I had saw a post that you can use a heat gun lightly to help soften the rubber. I see why people want to get rid of them and go to the one piece windows. Any helpful tips that made your vent windows go in please leave your comments. I bought my weather strip kit at Truck Shop Car Shop in Orange Co, Calif.
greenbd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Vent windows from hell!!!

I know this is probably a stupid question, but did you rivet it in place?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbd71 View Post
Replaced all weather strip on truck and stuck on the window vents. The window weather strip keeps popping up at the bottom as I turn the window to close it. The replacement weather strip is so thick compared to the original parts. I thought I had saw a post that you can use a heat gun lightly to help soften the rubber. I see why people want to get rid of them and go to the one piece windows. Any helpful tips that made your vent windows go in please leave your comments. I bought my weather strip kit at Truck Shop Car Shop in Orange Co, Calif.
I bought the same kit and was not real happy the way it turned out after I was finished. The rubber didn't fit right and the vent wouldn't shut correctly so I bought the good stuff (Steele Rubber) if it's anything like the their windshield gasket I will be happy. BTW, I tried 3 different brands of windshield gaskets before I bought the Steele Rubber one and it slipped right in.....learned my lesson on buying cheap rubber (no pun intended)

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

My experiance has been the same, nothing works just right. I have replaced mine a couple times and they just dont shut right and Im not paying like 3-400 for replacements.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

I used precision brand , and its somewhat thicker than the OEM, dont think we will be opening the vents much. I have never heard of steele rubber, so ill google that.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
greenbd71

Thanks for the responses. I will take some pics when I get done with it.
greenbd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

I'm not sure I am understanding which rubber seal you are working with, but I am thinking it is the wind wing assembly seals?

If that is the case, I feel your pain...

I redid mine many years ago, and to me they just sucked. The window vent would never close just as it should, they leaked air/water and just plain looked like crap. The rubber was all bacon along the door, and my eye's would go directly to the ugly look every time.

About a week ago, I installed two new complete window vent assemblies. So much happier now, since my old glass was starting to fog along the edges. The new ones open and close as they should, and there is no more areas for water and or wind to get through.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
About a week ago, I installed two new complete window vent assemblies. So much happier now, since my old glass was starting to fog along the edges. The new ones open and close as they should, and there is no more areas for water and or wind to get through.
Where did you get them?

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbd71 View Post
Thats cause you bought Counterparts Brand rubber from them.TSCS are the retail store of COunterparts. I don't mind saying it but the rubber is junk and not a quality product. change the rubber
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Thats cause you bought Counterparts Brand rubber from them.TSCS are the retail store of COunterparts. I don't mind saying it but the rubber is junk and not a quality product. change the rubber
The vent window weatherstrip are made by SuperSeal that TSCS sells, is this the CounterPart brand?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
The vent window weatherstrip are made by SuperSeal that TSCS sells, is this the CounterPart brand?

Never heard of a brand called SuperSeal. Last time I used them was Counterparts brand. Maybe they call it that now. Metro use the "super Soft" in their adds. Is that what you mean? But I forgot Metro does not make them for these trucks

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
Where did you get them?
x2
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
mbgmike

Only company making them is Counterparts as far as I know
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
Where did you get them?
I got mine from LMC for around 200 bucks for each, but I think just about every shop carries them.
Very happy with them! All new chrome and stainless, the glass tint matched my other glass perfectly. Oh, and the rubber seal to the door frame is nice and flat. The rubber was flexible enough to make the whole install process easier, not to thick or stiff to where you have to use lube or wait for a hot day.

Now, getting the old out and the new assemblies in... That's a whole other story. Though I managed to get both of mine swapped out in a couple of hours.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Never heard of a brand called SuperSeal. Last time I used them was Counterparts brand. Maybe they call it that now. Metro use the "super Soft" in their adds. Is that what you mean? But I forgot Metro does not make them for these trucks
I buy a lot from The Truck Shop and most of the rubber products are SuperSeal, might be a play on words because at first I thought it was Soff Seal.

I just bought all the vent window rubber from Steele Rubber, I should have it by this Friday. I will report back on the quality......it's about twice as high as the SuperSeal stuff.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
I buy a lot from The Truck Shop and most of the rubber products are SuperSeal, might be a play on words because at first I thought it was Soff Seal.

I just bought all the vent window rubber from Steele Rubber, I should have it by this Friday. I will report back on the quality......it's about twice as high as the SuperSeal stuff.
Who makes superseal? No record of it in any rubber manufacturer lists we have. Steele Rubber is a quality product

it's about twice as high as the SuperSeal stuff.[/quote] We tell that to customers all the time. quality costs more.

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I got mine from LMC for around 200 bucks for each, but I think just about every shop carries them.
Very happy with them! All new chrome and stainless, the glass tint matched my other glass perfectly. Oh, and the rubber seal to the door frame is nice and flat. The rubber was flexible enough to make the whole install process easier, not to thick or stiff to where you have to use lube or wait for a hot day.

Now, getting the old out and the new assemblies in... That's a whole other story. Though I managed to get both of mine swapped out in a couple of hours.

Those are from counterparts. thats what LMC sells. keep them waxed real good. they rust real fast

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-15-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
-sean-

Quote:
Those are from counterparts. thats what LMC sells. keep them waxed real good. they rust real fast
I noticed that you also sell complete assemblies on your web site and I'm very interested in them. For the price, $160 each, I may just go with the ones you are selling.

What I'm talking about: http://www.mcssl.com/store/mikesbump...48e6a02a0ed4a6

EDIT: Just got off of the phone with Mike. Answered all my questions and is just a real good guy... looking forward to doing business with him.

Last edited by -sean-; 10-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
-sean- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
67chevemall

Could always yank all the rubber, drill a few holes in the floor, shoot some tremclad and call it a day.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Lee H

I've got a set of precision vent seals ready to install but have been hesitant do to all the feed back about how difficult the install process is. Think I'll try next week anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
AirSpeed

Talking Re: Vent windows from hell!!!

I got mine from Classic Parts, they fit perfect and were EASY to install. The first time I did it I tried heating the rubber in hot water, waste of time! What made it easy was the KY jelly I smeared all over it. The rubber seal slid right into place! For the felt that goes in the division bar I used pop rivets not the ones included. I did have to modify the nozzle on my rivet gun, it wouldn't fit into the channel so I ground the nozzle on each side so it would fit. Mine open and close perfectly and do not leak or make wind noise in the slightest.
The KY jel worked perfectly because once you're finished it rinses right off. Now I use the KY on all sorts of projects, it worked great when I installed the new rubber bushings in my front leaf springs, not to mention it's intended use!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I got mine from Classic Parts, they fit perfect and were EASY to install. The first time I did it I tried heating the rubber in hot water, waste of time! What made it easy was the KY jelly I smeared all over it. The rubber seal slid right into place! For the felt that goes in the division bar I used pop rivets not the ones included. I did have to modify the nozzle on my rivet gun, it wouldn't fit into the channel so I ground the nozzle on each side so it would fit. Mine open and close perfectly and do not leak or make wind noise in the slightest.
The KY jel worked perfectly because once you're finished it rinses right off. Now I use the KY on all sorts of projects, it worked great when I installed the new rubber bushings in my front leaf springs, not to mention it's intended use!
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the way to do it. Pop rivets make this job a snap.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote