The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
67chevy1series

pics of 72's with the A/C brakcets and compressor on engine, and...

i have A/C brackets i want to install but, i have searched and searched with little luck only found 2 pictures and they were so bad quality i couldnt see what was what so i need pics of how they go on a 72 small block. also does anybody have pics of how the jack tools lay on the floor and how the spring goes for the floor of a 67???? so lets see some pics! thanks guys.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
dukcaln

Re: pics of 72's with the A/C brakcets and compressor on engine, and...

got some on my camera can load tomorrow but I am sure someone will beat me to it
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
67chevy1series

well try anyways if you can, thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Steve Hafner

. . . .

Here is the only 67 I have saved - and "what-was-said" to be a 68's engine, if that helps.

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
bMr

bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
i have A/C brackets i want to install but, i have searched and searched with little luck only found 2 pictures and they were so bad quality i couldnt see what was what so i need pics of how they go on a 72 small block. also does anybody have pics of how the jack tools lay on the floor and how the spring goes for the floor of a 67???? so lets see some pics! thanks guys.
I recently posted this "before" shot of my engine bay before I installed my AC compressor and got it running. It might help showing where some of the brackets are that are usually hidden by compressors in other engine bay shots.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hafner View Post
. . . .

Here is the only 67 I have saved - and "what-was-said" to be a 68's engine, if that helps.

. . . .
steve the pics are great and those engines look awesome but they have the 67 68 and whatever year they stopped brackets. i need the kind that are shown above by "mrein3" and "bMr" thanks for the effort though.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I recently posted this "before" shot of my engine bay before I installed my AC compressor and got it running. It might help showing where some of the brackets are that are usually hidden by compressors in other engine bay shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
thanks guys! great pics! perfect. any close ups on the intake ones? i am missing the ons that go beside the front of the carb where the flat bracket mounts to....

also any pics of jacking tools still on the floor rapped up by the spring on a 67 floor inside the cab?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Steve Hafner

Quote:
steve the pics are great and those engines look awesome but they have the 67 68 and whatever year they stopped brackets. i need the kind that are shown above by "mrein3" and "bMr" thanks for the effort though.
. . . .

If I had LEARNED HOW TO READ when I was YOUR age, I would have noticed that you said 72 !!! ( but, I knew you have a 67 )

Try these: close-up of small block intake area and the 67 jacking instruction sheet that was stuck on each truck ( once )

. . . .
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
67chevy1series

Quote:
. . . .

If I had LEARNED HOW TO READ when I was YOUR age, I would have noticed that you said 72 !!! ( but, I knew you have a 67 )

Try these: close-up of small block intake area and the 67 jacking instruction sheet that was stuck on each truck ( once )

. . . .
Steve Hafner YOUR THE MAN! these pics are great there clean and show what i need. looks like i will need to get a longer intake bolt for the fornt bracket 2 long ones for the exhaust manifold 2 spacers and.... 2 or 3 more brackets.

whats the best way to install the compressor and brackets? the brackets then the compressor or the brackets and compressor and then install at once?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Steve Hafner

Quote:
Steve Hafner YOUR THE MAN! these pics are great there clean and show what i need. looks like i will need to get a longer intake bolt for the fornt bracket 2 long ones for the exhaust manifold 2 spacers and.... 2 or 3 more brackets.

whats the best way to install the compressor and brackets? the brackets then the compressor or the brackets and compressor and then install at once?
I can't help you with the "how to's" - I'm not much of a mechanic, just a check writer !!!

Someone else on here will help you with that.

I would think it can be done either way, but no matter what, it's going to take more then TWO hands !!!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
mrein3

Quote:

Quote:
I can't help you with the "how to's" - I'm not much of a mechanic, just a check writer !!!

Someone else on here will help you with that.

I would think it can be done either way, but no matter what, it's going to take more then TWO hands !!!
Let me start by saying that whether you bolt the compressor to the brackets on the work bench or attempt to mount the compressor on to brackets that are already bolted to the engine it is a bear because of how much that A6 compressor weighs.

I bolted the compressor in without the brackets on the compressor. Basically I bolted it to what you see in my "before" shot. Based on what I did I would attempt to bolt the brackets on to the compressor on your work bench then on to the engine. It will weigh more but may be easier. That is probably why they have studs on the bottom of the brackets, sticking out of the exhaust manifold. (Maybe that was a lesson learned on my part.)

I didn't have the factory correct studs for the bracket on the exhaust manifold so I simply made my own studs down there. You have to screw around with stud length and nut/washer combos between that lower bracket and your exhaust manifold. Perhaps this evening I could snap a close-up down there to give you a better starting point.

BEFORE you mount that sucker you should flush it out. The proper procedure from what I've read is that you stand the A6 on its nose, pour in 6 ounces of the oil you are going to use in your system, turn the compressor a few times, then dump out that oil. Do this two or three times. When you're done you should pour 6 oz. of oil in the compressor then mount it. When I did that about half of that 6 ounces poured out and made a big mess in my engine bay and on the floor of my shop.

The job sucked big time but when it comes to saving $1000 in this economy verses putting on an aftermarket system, I'm first in line to save it. Then the first time you get in there on a hot day with the AC up and running you know it was worth the pain. And in my cases bruises on my forearm from mounting that heavy sucker in that spot.
Center City, MN
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Let me start by saying that whether you bolt the compressor to the brackets on the work bench or attempt to mount the compressor on to brackets that are already bolted to the engine it is a bear because of how much that A6 compressor weighs.

I bolted the compressor in without the brackets on the compressor. Basically I bolted it to what you see in my "before" shot. Based on what I did I would attempt to bolt the brackets on to the compressor on your work bench then on to the engine. It will weigh more but may be easier. That is probably why they have studs on the bottom of the brackets, sticking out of the exhaust manifold. (Maybe that was a lesson learned on my part.)

I didn't have the factory correct studs for the bracket on the exhaust manifold so I simply made my own studs down there. You have to screw around with stud length and nut/washer combos between that lower bracket and your exhaust manifold. Perhaps this evening I could snap a close-up down there to give you a better starting point.

BEFORE you mount that sucker you should flush it out. The proper procedure from what I've read is that you stand the A6 on its nose, pour in 6 ounces of the oil you are going to use in your system, turn the compressor a few times, then dump out that oil. Do this two or three times. When you're done you should pour 6 oz. of oil in the compressor then mount it. When I did that about half of that 6 ounces poured out and made a big mess in my engine bay and on the floor of my shop.

The job sucked big time but when it comes to saving $1000 in this economy verses putting on an aftermarket system, I'm first in line to save it. Then the first time you get in there on a hot day with the AC up and running you know it was worth the pain. And in my cases bruises on my forearm from mounting that heavy sucker in that spot.
AMEN! lol thanks for the "how to" buddy! ill try to do just that.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
mrein3

It is hard to see in the photos but for that lower bracket that attaches to the exhaust manifold I did the following:

For the front stud I did

manifold | washer | nut | bracket | washer | nut

On the back stud I have:

manifold | washer | bracket | washer | nut

Good luck.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
67chevy1series

thanks these pics are really good!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #16
lil hoodlum

I thought of this thread while at the Good Guys lonestar nats. I took a few photos of one rig where I could see "most" of the bracketry. I'll throw these pictures in the lot hoping they might be of good use for you.

Keith
Attached Images

lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
chewychevy67

Here is a good pic of how the jack mounts in a 67. what i have heard is that 68 with buckets mounts the same but am unsure of this.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
caboutin

anybody know where I can purchase the a/c bracket pictured on top of the manifold???
caboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
67chevy1series

well i dont think i have the right compressor its not lining up with other brackets like my friends 72 with the same brackets...