The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
NW_Ryker

Utility Bucket help

Sorry guys, I feel like I'm posting a lot in this section. This is my first time building a truck from this era and need some help. The PO put some aftermarket seats in my 71 blazer that use a 2x4 to attach the seat to the slider/floor. A user on here is selling a pair of utility buckets near me from a 70 I believe. It's just the foam and frame. Will these work with a 71 seat covering? I'm trying to go the original route and the covers I want to use have the scroll inserts. Thanks!
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Utility Bucket help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Ryker View Post
Sorry guys, I feel like I'm posting a lot in this section. This is my first time building a truck from this era and need some help. The PO put some aftermarket seats in my 71 blazer that use a 2x4 to attach the seat to the slider/floor. A user on here is selling a pair of utility buckets near me from a 70 I believe. It's just the foam and frame. Will these work with a 71 seat covering? I'm trying to go the original route and the covers I want to use have the scroll inserts. Thanks!
First off, no rules on amount of posts, as we all like to read about trucks, but we do require pics

I have a set of utilities in my Jimmy and have only heard of one pattern that was correct ( sorta basket weave design), luckily for you it is available from SMS in your neck of the woods. Alittle pricey, but what the heck it's only money

The thing I want to caution you on is the angle that the seat bottom sits, there are utilities outta a van and they sit more upright or flat, compared to the trucks

Mine are in the shop for the month so I can't really give you any pics of what to look for

BTW, welcome to the boards from Philly

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 07-16-2010 at 06:25 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
sharpie1972
Account Suspended

Jaros is correct, if you want to use factory covers (scroll style) you need to find sport bucket seats and then you can use a console as well. The utility buckets will need to be custom upholstered. Great seats if that is the look you are after (big seats, no console). Check the condition of the foam on a used set, if it's in good shape the upholstery job should be fairly reasonable, but once again no aftermarket slip on covers. Sharpie
sharpie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
NW_Ryker

Ok, So I should be asking for sport bucket seats instead. Are they the same as in the trucks? What other years did they use the seats that would be found in my 71? Thanks, and Eye Candy later when I find my camera
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
NW_Ryker

Oh and Sharpie, I searched sport buckets and your the only one that came up. If your ever selling a pair lmk please. I'll be glad to take them off your hands.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
71swb4x4

Most people just call the standard bucket seats buckets. You don't see the term sport buckets much. They are the same as truck buckets. The passenger's frame is different between trucks and blazers, I am not sure about the drivers side frame. The seat themselves are the same though, and you can unbolt a truck frame a bolt a blazer frame right up to it.
Everything they said above about the utility buckets it true. They will not work with the traditional bucket seat covers.

Last edited by 71swb4x4; 07-16-2010 at 10:05 PM.
71swb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Big Block
Big Block

Another thing to consider is if you are going to use a factory console the utility buckets are a little wider than the sport buckets. They tend to rub the console when raising the front seat up.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block View Post
Another thing to consider is if you are going to use a factory console the utility buckets are a little wider than the sport buckets. They tend to rub the console when raising the front seat up.
^^^^^
DAM, I new there was something else I wanted say. My factory console does fit in between the utilities , but tight

I just like the wider seats and the fact that you can move the drivers side over to the passenger side if any signs of wear show up

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
NW_Ryker

Ok. Thanks for the info everybody. What other years did they use the same seat foam as in my 71?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
71swb4x4

I believe that 69 to 72 seats will work.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
ssean

Happen to have some utility buckets I'm looking to get rid of in Wa. (Bellingham) w/ all hardware if your interested feel free to give me a call. 360-410-0737. Also have a tuffy security console 12" that fits perfectly between the seats I'd consider selling w/ seats.
Attached Images

ssean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
NW_Ryker

Those look nice but I've since found out that I want the sport buckets.