The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
cleszkie

Blazer Widshield Replacement - PITA

I recently replaced the top portion of my windshield frame with a cherry rust free piece I found a while back. I was extremely careful to maintain all measurements and alignment when I welded on the new frame (I made the cut about 6 inches from the top of the A-pilar). Had it painted to match the rest of the Blazer before the glass went back in (took it down to bare metal before paint). Tried to find a nice OEM windshield without fogging or rock dings, but had to settle for repop glass. I also had to settle for repop winshield gasket (Counterpart). Tried to use my stock stainless trim, but the repop gasket does not work with the OEM trim because the trim channel in the gasket is not deep enough. So I had to buy the repop trim with the shallow channel made by Counterpart that "fits" their gasket.

Anyhow, got all the pices together and called up a glass installer. Took the installer three 4-hour sessions with 2-3 guys at my house to get that sucker in! Most of the problems came from keeping the trim in the gasket while installing it, but a lot of problems came from just fitting the glass and rubber in the frame. It was a goog thing I had the top and cowl off, of they would not have been able to manhandle it in. The moral of the story is this - Stick with OEM parts if at all possible. If I have to do the glass again, I will definitely use OEM gasket, trim and glass.

Sorry for tyhe long post, but curious if anyone else has had this problem. BTW, the finished product looks awesome with the new glass, rust free frame, and new stainless wiper blades I picked up from a local shop.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Re: Blazer Widshield Replacement - PITA

Yep, I have had the same issue. Glass guy had the Blazer for 3 weeks and finally just gave up. Using Pilkington glass and LMC gasket and trim. When I got measurements for the frame, mine was a little smaller inside than when I took it apart. Waiting on a new gasket now as I tore the other one trying to horse the windshield in. Hoping that my grinding inside the frame has opened it up enough to get the window in.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
69-72

I had the same thing. One thing I will point out is there is two styles of the stainless trim 69-70 and 71-72 I believe. You do need the correct gasket for the correct trim.

Now just hope that it doesn't leak when it rains. They had to do my WS 3 times to get that right.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
cleszkie

Red71 - My measurements were dead on, so I can see why they couldn't yours it in if your openning was a little undersized.

69-72 - Yeah, I learned about the two different styles the hard way. From what the glass guy told me it sounds like the deep channel rubber and trim would be easier to work with since the trim would be easier to keep in place during the install.

In order to finish the job, the glass guy had to come back at night when the glass was cold. Apparently, when the glass is hot, it expands enough to cause fitment issues. The first two days he was working mid day in my driveway with direct sunlight heating it up. Just a little tip for those that still have this ahead of them.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Man, hope it dosen't expand while your motoring and crack! That would be a 12 pack and alot of starring at the windshield. When I got it back home!

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Luba

I wonder if it would be better to keep my stock one in, while i do a frame off? I think mine is in good shape (i'll have to check). Can you still buy OEM (good fitting) glass and rubber for a 72 k5?
Luba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

OK... just for comparison.

My Jimmy was a total frame off. While the body was on the rotisserie, the body guy took the windshield totally appart (sandblasted inside and reassymbled).
After paint and body was done and back on frame, my son (who is an expert glazier) came out from Utah. We took the old (repolished) stainless trim, a new repop gasket from Wes at Classic Heartbeat and Pilkington Glass (which my son recomended) and he had it in the frame in about an hour (working by himself). It looks awesome. So go figure.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
eagleuh1

Can your son come to Arkansas? LOL. Getting ready to do my body work, and the windshield is coming out. Now you guys got me scared.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

scares me too. I'll have to keep Pilkington Glass (as Tom Vogel mentioned) in mind when I do mine.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
pumpkin

Can you post up the measurements? I am doing something similar, but I forgot to take measurements before I cut it apart.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
cleszkie

Luba - to get OEM you probably have to find nice used pieces. If you are going through the trouble to do a frame off, I would definitely recommend pulling your glass. Rust has a way of hiding under that rubber in the upper corners. It would suck to restore the whole truck only to have rust show up later in the windshied frame.

I am not sure what brand my glass is (Pilkington?), but the rubber was from Counterpart. Just looking at the several donor frames that I have, it is clear that the measurements can vary from unit to unit (frame pieces are overlapped and spot welded in varying positions between the different frames I have). Some are looser and some are tigher fits for the glass. My frame must have been one of the tighter ones.

Now that I think about it, you could probably just use an angle gringer and take some off of the metal lip (shorten) that the rubber goes over to make installation a little easier. Just a thought, and by no means a recommendation.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
Can you post up the measurements? I am doing something similar, but I forgot to take measurements before I cut it apart.
A couple of different guys gave me measurements for the same thing. They were 20 and 13/16 at 4 inches from the edges and 21 inches in the center. I tried doing the angle grinder thing to get my measurements back in, but am still waiting on my new gasket to get here. I'll let you know how it goes when it gets here.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
Luba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Luba - to get OEM you probably have to find nice used pieces. If you are going through the trouble to do a frame off, I would definitely recommend pulling your glass. Rust has a way of hiding under that rubber in the upper corners. It would suck to restore the whole truck only to have rust show up later in the windshied frame.

I am not sure what brand my glass is (Pilkington?), but the rubber was from Counterpart. Just looking at the several donor frames that I have, it is clear that the measurements can vary from unit to unit (frame pieces are overlapped and spot welded in varying positions between the different frames I have). Some are looser and some are tigher fits for the glass. My frame must have been one of the tighter ones.

Now that I think about it, you could probably just use an angle gringer and take some off of the metal lip (shorten) that the rubber goes over to make installation a little easier. Just a thought, and by no means a recommendation.
Thanks I do plan on taking the windshield off when I start working on truck.
Luba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Ok, so the new gasket showed up and I put it and the trim on the windshield. Tried to install it but the trim kept popping out. Pulled it back out, taped the trim and gasket to the glass and it pretty much just fell in to place! Still got some pulling and fixing to do, but its in there. I'm going to park it in the sun this afternoon and see if that gets it all squished into the corners good.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup