The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Trucolur

67 c-10 chopped 3 inches ?? GLASS ???

I've got a 67 c-10 that I had chopped 3 inches! And I'm wondering how to get the glass / windshield cut to fit or how is it done ? Is there a place you can send templates or ? Please help !!!
Trucolur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
cool68

Re: 67 c-10 chopped 3 inches ?? GLASS ???

post some pics -so, you did not figure out the glass situation before chopping? forget the templates idea, unless you are going to run Lexan. didn't the guy that did the chop have any leads on where to go? any true custom car building shops in your area? there are sites like the H.A.M.B. powered by vBulletin (Jalopy Journal) that have threads on how to do this type of work. some say it is fairly easy but, I know a guy that had 3 windshields crack after doing a '56 Ford pick up. have fun
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Trucolur

Thanks I'll get some pics posted soon !! I had a buddy that has worked as a lead body man for over 30 years do it for me and he said it was easy and that it would be on me to take care of the glass ! Well I've finally got the inside painted and time to start working on getting glass done !! I heard that sand blasting has been away of doing them but not sure !?!? That's why I'm asking for tips or maybe info on what I need too do. !!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Trucolur

But I have heard what you saiid also !! That it has been known to take several windshields to get one good one !?!? I'm asking to see if there is a new way out to get them done!!??
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Poppa Wheelie

Typically one would take the stock windshield and "sink" it down in the cowl area by slotting the sheetmetal and making a lower channel for it to sit on. Youre basically dropping the entire windshield frame down into the body so you can use a stock windshield. The rest of the chop is done after that. You build the chop around the sunk stock glass, not the glass around the chopped steel. You do not cut the windshield. That is nearly impossible.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this now. Of course your buddy said is was easy. Modifying metal is easy. Modifying glass is not.
Poppa Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

I'm sure there's someone around that'd be willing to make you a custom windshield for you. I had to have a 2 piece custom front windshield made for me. I had to drive about 80 miles from my house to them, but they did it and put both windshields in the frame as well. That was for a '38 ford pick up though chopped 1 1/2 inches.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Poppa Wheelie

L&S, your '38 windshield was 2 pieces of flat glass, right?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
71swb4x4

Windshields are frequently cut for chop tops. Some people sand blast, some people cut and heat. Call your local glass companies and ask them if they do it, if they don't ask them who does. A local car club might have leads for you too.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
truckster

You can cut the windshield; I've done them before. My rule was always that the customer pays for the glass first and assumes all liability; I'm not going to pay for it if it breaks.

You'll probably need to find an old-timer who's done this a few times. Be prepared to pay what it's worth.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #10
Trucolur

No I think the art of chopping is to cut the metal out and get the glass made cut fitted or however it takes !!! You don't sink the windshield or build the truck around the windshield !!! It can and will be done my way and how I want it done even if it cost more than the truck !! I was asking for someone who might know or have been threw this or knows a new way they might be doing it now !!! Thanks always !! But for those who are trying to help I'm very thankful and will except your advice !!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Trucolur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Windshields are frequently cut for chop tops. Some people sand blast, some people cut and heat. Call your local glass companies and ask them if they do it, if they don't ask them who does. A local car club might have leads for you too.
Ok I got ya local car or truck clubs !! Thank you that a idea for sure !!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

This might help?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433274
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
Poppa Wheelie

My apologies sir. I did not know you were interested in spending potentially more than the cost of the entire truck to have a new windshield somehow made, especially since you admit you have no idea where or how to do it or have it done. I think its great that you are willing to do whatever it takes, since I have heard of custom laminated safety glass winshields costing like $10,000.

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert at windshields or top chops.

Sorry for getting involved. I hope your project goes well. I am looking forward to seeing the great result.

Sorry. Best wishes, really!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
truckster

It doesn't involve making custom laminated glass; it simply involves cutting down an existing windshield. I had one commercial customer that had a truck that had rolled and the top was 1 inch out of square after it was repaired. I always had to cut the windshields for that truck (Volvo with a huge curved windshield).

The difficulty comes in because of the curved surfaces. You have to make a series of cuts to relieve stress as you go. There will be someone in your local area who knows how to do it.

And please remember, guys, the purpose of this board is to help each other out. It doesn't help anyone if we get snippy.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa Wheelie View Post
L&S, your '38 windshield was 2 pieces of flat glass, right?
Yeah. I'm thinking that's why they did it because flat glass is easier to cut and measure out.

Couldn't you take the windshield to a glass cutting place? They do all sorts of crazy cuts on curved glass.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
cool68

VA72C10 provided a good link. just wondering why the guy that chopped the top would not do the glass work if it was easy to do, as he said. as stated above, basic old school ways of cutting a windshield seems best for trying to keep the cost down. for an unlimited budget there seem to be other options. also, I do not get it that doing any type of modifications, such as chopping a top, that you would not do some pre-planning such as finding someone that can cut chop a windshield and find out what is the best way to approach the task. your truck, your money - do what is best for you. yes, as suggested, it is best to have at least one spare good windshield on hand in case something does go wrong with the first try.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #17
Trucolur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Thank you so much for that !! That was a bunch of great ideas and showed and reminded me of something's !! Water jets !! Don't know if I can afford it but I know people or friends that have one and they can probably do it for me??? And I have a vinyl machine and they make and sale sand blasting media ?? Real rubbery so the sand doesn't cut threw !!! Wow it's amazing what good and awesome people can say and what knowledge they can share to make another ones day life easier !!! Thank u all very very much !!!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #18
Trucolur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool68 View Post
VA72C10 provided a good link. just wondering why the guy that chopped the top would not do the glass work if it was easy to do, as he said. as stated above, basic old school ways of cutting a windshield seems best for trying to keep the cost down. for an unlimited budget there seem to be other options. also, I do not get it that doing any type of modifications, such as chopping a top, that you would not do some pre-planning such as finding someone that can cut chop a windshield and find out what is the best way to approach the task. your truck, your money - do what is best for you. yes, as suggested, it is best to have at least one spare good windshield on hand in case something does go wrong with the first try.
I chopped a 86 back in high school for a guy and back then it took him forever to sandblast his windshield !!! I had a great friend and awesome body man chopp mine and he said the glass was on me that the chopping of the truck top was the easy part !! My main question was to find out is there new ways or a company that does it now or what ?? That's all but I just got some great ideas and I think it will be ok to do !! Make take one or two windshields but I will get it done !!! Once again for the one with helping in mind bout doubting questions thank u guys so so much !!! It greatly appreciated !!!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #19
Trucolur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Thank u so much !!! I very much appreciate you and you showing these things to me !!! Awesome thank u !!!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
70Firetruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucolur View Post
No I think the art of chopping is to cut the metal out and get the glass made cut fitted or however it takes !!! You don't sink the windshield or build the truck around the windshield !!! It can and will be done my way and how I want it done even if it cost more than the truck !! I was asking for someone who might know or have been threw this or knows a new way they might be doing it now !!! Thanks always !! But for those who are trying to help I'm very thankful and will except your advice !!
Lol,

Ok, your windshield is laminate glass, and is a type of glass that can be cut, it consists of two layers of glass with a clear rubber/ vynil holding it together. It can be cut. Many different ways are out there to cut it. Just google laminate windshield cutting, I.e.

Sinking the glass down is another way to make things work to, hot rodders have been doing it for ever! Doesn't work for every application.

Rear glass: could have shifted the frame down and filled around. Or get new flat glass cut. Probably a good idea to get it tempered.

Side glass: this depends on how the A pillars were done. We're they layed back? Was the roof stretched, to keep the a pillars at the original degree? I need some more information or pics to help you there.Are you gonna run the vents, convert to one piece?

All I need to say about dealing with tempered glass, is good luck. From my experience it is not something you can cut. On my 96 I pie cut the A pillars to fill the gap, and made my ext glass roll down.

Everybody has there own opinions on how to do the same thing, but the first thing I learned was to plan every step of your chop before you start! Especially the glass. Because glass can easily cost more then the whole vehicle, but it doesn't have to, if planned correctly.

Good luck, chopped vehicles definitely stand out over the next truck, when done correctly.

Last edited by 70Firetruck; 01-05-2014 at 02:48 AM.
70Firetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #21
Trucolur

[QUOTE=70Firetruck;6451124]Lol,

Ok, your windshield is laminate glass, and is a type of glass that can be cut, it consists of two layers of glass with a clear rubber/ vynil holding it together. It can be cut. Many different ways are out there to cut it. Just google laminate windshield cutting, I.e.

Sinking the glass down is another way to make things work to, hot rodders have been doing it for ever! Doesn't work for every application.

Rear glass: could have shifted the frame down and filled around. Or get new flat glass cut. Probably a good idea to get it tempered.

Side glass: this depends on how the A pillars were done. We're they layed back? Was the roof stretched, to keep the a pillars at the original degree? I need some more information or pics to help you there.Are you gonna run the vents, convert to one piece?

All I need to say about dealing with tempered glass, is good luck. From my experience it is not something you can cut. On my 96 I pie cut the A pillars to fill the gap, and made my ext glass roll down.

Everybody has there own opinions on how to do the same thing, but the first thing I learned was to plan every step of your chop before you start! Especially the glass. Because glass can easily cost more then the whole vehicle, but it doesn't have to, if planned correctly.

Good luck, chopped vehicles definitely stand out over the next truck, when done correctly.[/

Thank you !!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #22
Trucolur

Now that some of the people have given me some idea or reminded me of things or even give me links to videos and links too a lot of good talking! I'd be willing to say it want cost me more than a little bit of time and at the most a windshield !!! And again I say thank you to the ones that have really tried to help you know who you are Thanks!!! Sum u listen 2 sum u diffidently don't !!!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #23
Unionwelder

Longhorn glass does it in Austin tx don't know if you want to have something shipped or done local but my buddy had the cab corner glass on his 5 window cut there. And I'd imagine those aint easy to cut down
Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Unionwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
dirtyjim

back 20 years ago when I had my chop top 72 I did the cab and had a guy in between Houston & humble on highway 59 do the glass. I cant remember his name but he loved the 67-72's and chopped a ton of them, he also painted the majority of the street rods in the Houston area at that time..
I think it was $1200 for all the glass & an additional $100 for every windshield that broke, luckily my windshield didn't break. another guy I knew went through 12 windshield
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try your LOF distributor.I know the one in Amarillo had a few old school glass guys who were rodders.They would do one,but it wasn't cheap.They also had a couple of weekend warriors who did them.

The reason I suggest them is that they know all the glass people in your area.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote