The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
mks72

lights question

Everytime I push my brakes, my right turn signal lights up?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: lights question

That could mean a few things.
1. Messed up turn signal switch.
Have an assistant hit the brake pedal, or shove a pipe or 2x4 between the pedal and seat to where the brakes are on, and go look at the front parking lights in the bumper. If one is on, you probably have a messed up switch.
2. Burned out bulb in back.
As described above, light up the brake lights, and then look at the back lights. See if they are both working.
3. Bad ground.
This one gets funny, becouse your lights are working, yet it can be a funny ground. Replace both rear bulbs, and when you have the lenses off, remove the 2 5/16 headed bolts that hold the tail light buckets...or what ever you want to call them, and clean the metal underneath. Bolt it all back together and see if that chainges anything.

Those are the common problems, there could be wire harness issues where you have chaffed wires and arcing and all kinds of other funny things, but odds are, it is one of the 3 I listed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
mks72

okay. sorry i didn't include this yesterday...
When the lights are on:
the light in the bumper gets brighter and the sidemarker on the pass. side turns off. Brake lights work all the time.
When the lights are off:
both lights, the bumper and sidemarker, light up.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

I would start with a turn signal switch personally.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
mks72

Yeah, that is what i was thinkin. Never had to replace, is it difficult?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Could also be a quirky short in the wire bundle.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
mks72

could be cus every blue moon you can wiggle the wire and it will stop, but only ever once in awhile.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

I had a short a few years ago. Everytime I pushed on my brakes during the day time...no big deal...worked fine. At night though when ever I pushed on my brakes, about my third long stop a fuse would blow and out went my brake and running lights.

I was a short in the wire bundle that runs to the rear of the truck.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #9
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

I had a problem 2 years ago of when I turned on my 4 ways all my dash lights would flash. Right turn signal worked fine, left turn signal wouldn't work outside but would make the dash lights flash inside. Turned out being the socket itself thats supposed to be clamped into the front bumper brace bracket was not securely clamped and it was causing the power from the blink blink to jump across and go into the power wire for the regular running lights. Took me 2 weeks to figure that sucker out!!
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
crazyred
yeeha

If you have a trailer wiring hook up I would start with that … then work your way underneath the truck looking and feeling every inch of wire run back to the cab. reason for is because there is a lot of crap could have been kicked up pinch or damaged the insulation and also trailer wiring is known to do crazy things … plus you hate yourself if you tear apart the column to find out that it was something as easy as replacing a foot or two of wire at the back end of the truck. but thats just my two cents

Don't drink and drive, you might spill something!!!

Daryl Kuchmak
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

It isn't going to be underneath the truck, it'll be in the turn signal or a messed up wire close to it... or a ground issue.
The wires that feed the brake lights are the exact same wires that feed the turn signals... one yellow, and one green.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
crazyred
yeeha

I see what you’re saying Longhorn Man, and that’s true but what about the side marker light??? Why would it light up when the lights are off... im not sure because my truck does not have it... but shouldn’t that side marker light only receive power to it from the main headlight switch and not anywhere from the steering column ( that side marker doesn’t have the blink blink hooked up to it right ???) witch means when it lights up when the headlights are not on, its got to be shorting with a left or a right direction wire???

HaHa the more I thing about it the more of the “ya but what if” i come up with and the less I know !

mks72, could you post your results as to what it was, if nothing less it will help me with my trouble shooting skills

Don't drink and drive, you might spill something!!!

Daryl Kuchmak
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote