The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
popping fuses?? Help

Ok I'm getting a little frustrated with my 70. I am popping the dash/tail light fuse after a short drive. I can sit in the drive way idling for as long as I want, doing everything (jumping on th bumper, blaring the radio, honking the horn, stomping the brakes, leaving the lights on...)I would be doing driving and it doesn't pop the fuse. drive it around the block and pow. This is only with the headlights on. If i leave them off it is fine.

Think my headlight switch is drawing too much?

any ideas?

I should go buy stock in Buss fuse company if this keeps up.

Thanks,
Darryl
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Class of 69

It sounds like you have a bare wire touching a ground when you drive it. Odd that it only happens with the headlights on, tho. It may be the switch. That's the only common link I can think of, or find in the wiring diagram. An old repair trick is to replace the fuse with a bolt, and wait till you see smoke...Pull the bolt quick, and look for the melted insulation. A little risky, but effective.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

I think the switch is pulling too much and the voltage regulator is over compensating and blowing the fuse.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Suicide-D

i think it's the switch also... I 'll go get one and see... be right back.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #5
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I had a similar problem once... Check the grounds on your headlights
Old 11-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
Class of 69

Good Point!! Overvoltage feeding back to the switch, and blowing the fuse. Very possible.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
cdowns

now's a good time to check the wires that run down the driverside framerail to the rearlights it's not uncommon for them to flap around and shortout due to insullation dryrotting
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:57 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I say it is more likely that you have a bare wire going to the tail lights or the front parking lights. First place I'd be looking is under the rear bumper where the trailer harness is/would be. Over the years it is not uncommon to have a few harnesses spliced in.
Look at the brown wire on that harness...that'll be the problematic wire.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
Suicide-D

Ok... I'm going under the truck... it is not the switch. I have only popped 15 fuses looking for this...
Old 11-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
Suicide-D

thanks everyone...

it was in the rear harness, that whole thing was a mess...it now has new wiring from the firewall all the way back to the bulbs.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Class of 69

Glad you found it. I was initially suspect of the rear harness too...but you threw in a curve ball with it only happening while the headlights were on. The headlights shouldn't matter with a harness short in the rear.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

must have a ground some where thats shorting the fuse
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #13
Locutus

when the headlights are on so are the tail lights. I had a short in a trailer light that every time we hooked up the trailer it would pop the dash/taillight fuse. Gave me a headache tracing it down too.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

May help the next guy. you can take alligator clips and hook to a 12 volt bulb, remove the fuse and place on each terminal of the fuse holder as long as there is a short the bulb will be brightly lit
place where you can see it and get to wiggling wires. Make sure the switch is on .
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:18 PM   #15
RussTburb

Not trying to start anything but I thought I should point out that it is impossible for a bad ground to blow a fuse. Fuses blow due to too much amps (current) bad ground = resistance (less current). ohms law says that as reisistance increases voltage and amps decrease. Again just trying to help and I'm not trying to steele the thread. Glad you found your problem!
06 2500 suburban 8.1L 4x4
84 chev 4x4 diesel
96 Geo Metro with the 4cylbb, lol! Almost 300k just won't die!
89 Honda Civic, runs on the smell of an oily rag!
2008 Aerolite 26qs Travel Trailer (aka "THE BARN")
RussTburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #16
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I had a very identical problem once....a wire in my tailight harness had worn through the insulation and was grounding out on the frame, and blowing out my dash light/tailight fuse.

RussTburb, i *think* the reason a bad ground blows a fuse has something to do with the wire shorting out....since both the + and - currents are touching each other. I think this would draw more current through the wire, and poof! there goes the fuse. You have ohms law correct...as resistance increases, voltage and amps go down. I am pretty sure that the short would draw alot of current though.....something like that anyway
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #17
'70 C/10 SS500

Here goes nothin'

I don't know if this will help any, but here goes anyway. My truck would blow the taillight fuse CONSTANTLY! It only did it with the headlights on also. I carried 3 boxes of 5 at all times! I tore apart the dash and looked at the printed circuit for clues, nothing wrong there. I replaced my headlight switch to no avail. I completely overhauled my column wiring harness and turn signal mechanism without any luck either, still blowing fuses randomly but frequently. I traced the wiring from the pedal to fuse block,- fuse block to taillights,- dissasembled the taillights and checked things completely, but everything was good. Still no answers. Well, one DAY I was getting out of my truck, pulled the detachable face of my CD played, stashed it under the seat as always and shut the door.....CRUNCH! I had closed the door on the CD player (face) and it smashed it pretty good, thanks to good 'ole Flint steel! My CD played/RADIO has never worked since, but I tell you what, I've never replaced another fuse since either!

Shamefully, I've never corrected the problem. Since I've never turned the radio on since, the symtoms are completely gone. Unfortunately, the CAUSE undoubtedly still exists.

Sorry for the long post, but it's kind of an interesting story, and hey, it's been a while since I posted too! Hope it helps someone else. I hate electrical gremlins!

Last edited by '70 C/10 SS500; 11-17-2003 at 06:01 PM.
'70 C/10 SS500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #18
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

When saying you have a "Bad Ground", what is meant is that there is a ground somewhere on the chassis that is not connected and not letting the current flow through the loop like it should be. TYo say that you have a wire that is "Grounding Out", then that means that you have a hot wire that is frayed or exposed in some other way that is touching to ground and shorting out. Having a "Bad Ground" will not blow a fuse, but having a wire that is "Grounding Out" will. Ohms law is a bit too technical for this type of problem, if fuses are going "POP", then there is a problem on the HOT side.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #19
RussTburb

Re: Here goes nothin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by '70 C/10 SS500
[B]CRUNCH! I had closed the door on the CD player (face) and it smashed it pretty good, thanks to good 'ole Flint steel! My CD played/RADIO has never worked since, but I tell you what, I've never replaced another fuse since either!

It has happened to all of us, As a Tech I have found more wiring problems related to stereo installtion! frayed wires loose wires, wires tapped in to the wrong circuit, radios causing new computer cars to stop running!! One question I always ask customers now is "When did you notice this problem?" Always a good place to start!

Totally aggree with you My new 72 sorry to over complicate things! Its a nasty habbit of mine!lol
06 2500 suburban 8.1L 4x4
84 chev 4x4 diesel
96 Geo Metro with the 4cylbb, lol! Almost 300k just won't die!
89 Honda Civic, runs on the smell of an oily rag!
2008 Aerolite 26qs Travel Trailer (aka "THE BARN")
RussTburb is offline   Reply With Quote