The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Dcm

Newbie to forum with tons of questions

First, I'd like to start by saying hi, and thanks in advance for all the resources and knowledge that are available through this site.
Second, I'll give the specs. I bought a 1970 swb c10 4 weeks ago. Solid body. Rough interior. Paint ugly as heck. Truck runs fine (350 cu. in.) and has a turbo 350. A/C cab. The info sticker on dash pocket door says the truck originally had a 4 speed.
I took the truck apart this weekend (I have always wanted to do a restoration down to the frame). Speaking to a few body and paint guys, it seems that people aren't exactly lining up to paint an old truck. Also, seems that most people talk to you like you are crazy for tackling such a project. I was feeling pretty good about getting the truck all the way down to the frame this weekend, but now I'm kinda feeling like maybe I've played the fool? I'm not looking to drop 40k on this project. Hopefully I can decipher how to upload pics. Anyway, all and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
hdff

Re: Newbie to forum with tons of questions

welcome from the great state of texas , you have come to the right place to answer your questions. there is someone here with an answer to any question you have and usually pics to illustrate it for you. to add pics there is a button below where you put text that says "manage attachments", click it and add pics from your hard drive, it is that easy...
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
welcome from the great state of texas , you have come to the right place to answer your questions. there is someone here with an answer to any question you have and usually pics to illustrate it for you. to add pics there is a button below where you put text that says "manage attachments", click it and add pics from your hard drive, it is that easy...
WOW! I've been posting pictures a really hard way before this. Thanks for the lesson! This will be much easier now.

Dcm: Welcome from NY and good luck with your project! You'll get plenty of help here so keep coming back. IMHO, I would check out some other body and paint guys until you find one that is enthusiastic about your project.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
davepl

It took me 3 months to tear down, photograph, bag, tag, and label mine. If you did it in a weekend I hope it's not your first one, because let me tell you: things that look obvious now won't be when you're putting it back together!

I have 637 photos and honestly should have taken 4X as many. Next time every piece that comes off is getting photographed before and during as appropriate. Lesson learned.

Welcome to the board! If the folks here don't know, generally it's not known.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Dcm

Thanks for all the encouragement gas. I'm a little nervous now, I only took about 150 photos. However I did bag and label all the parts, bolts, and pieces and too ok a couple of videos about some things came apart hopefully I won't be too confused.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
davepl

I never thought of a video. That's a great idea. Pictures are better but if you do a complete video walkthrough with a decent light you'd be able to go back and spot a lot of things you might miss in photos.

Learn something new every day. And I learned it from only your second post :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Dcm

I think that's what the old men mean when they refer to the blind hog finding an acorn occasionally haha
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Dcm

Cab gutted
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Dcm

Truck before taking apart (captain obvious has struck again).
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Dcm

Frame
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Dcm

There is a local guy that has owned a couple of these trucks that were show quality, and all of them were built by the same guy. My dad hooked me up with a huge favor/surprise and got the builder to call me tonight. He is coming out Sunday after church to look it over and give me some advice. He sounded interested in doing the paint and body work. I sure hope so. Guess you have to find the people that share the same passion.