The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Dusty4

Original push button door handles with bearclaw latches?

I saw a post somewhere on how to make the original push button style door handles work with new bearclaw latches, but can't find it. Can somebody help? I'm having some trouble imagining how to make this work.
Thanks upfront, Dusty
Dusty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Houston54

Re: Original push button door handles with bearclaw latches?

This may help you out.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...64&uid=2902753
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Dusty4

Lightbulb Re: Original push button door handles with bearclaw latches?

That's it!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Dusty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Houston54

One thing I learned regarding this installation after I was done was that if I had positioned the latch assembly in the door about 3/16 out from the door it would allow the window glass to operate in a smoother manner. The way it is shown in the pictures the latch is located against the vertical glass channel. Evidently this caused some pressure on the channel when the glass was raised or lowered. I have had to change the inside setup slightly to correct this. Everything is fine now. Live and learn.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Here's a thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223039

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
53lochevy

Hey bud I have the template for the new door latches for the outside door handle to work correctly. Will post a how to do as soon as I get the front end in, its suppose to be on my door today from TCI so the fedex tracking number says. I have already gotten the passenger side done and the install was very clean, one tip be sure to take your time in cutting out the area and use the right grinding tools to get a nice clean cutout area dont be a butcher at this install like the photos of the links to look at, man I wouldnt let them cut anything on my stuff with work like that good thing they make plastic filler to cover up that mess they made in the cutout it was just poorly done in my opion and with patience they would have gotten a better fit let alone without the butcher cutout in the whole area.
53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

would it be easier/better to put the latch in the post, and the striker on the door?

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
hotrodsbyray

when making the cuts consider using a dremel type tool with a reinforced cutoff wheel. the small diameter makes more prcise cuts and good gaps for welding. it may take several to do the job but easier to manipulate.
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
53lochevy

In my opinion thats not the right look how many cars put the latch in the post. Answer zero there is a reason no car manafactors put them there door handle will not work and who want poppers I dont. I like the chrome and lots of it. even with poppers I still wouldnt put latches in the post looks out of place when you open the door anyone will notice it looks odd period. just my opinion there no need to put them in the door post when they work fine in the stock location like every door made on a car.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Houston54

Now there is a first for me on this site. A member who just has to criticize someones elses efforts without offering advice on how to do it better and easier. Must be nice to have all the resources and tools needed instead of making do with what you have. What a jerk.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
53lochevy

Well if u dont like critizing dont post pics that look like u dont know what your doing and cut something in the manner u did if you read more it was just my opinion u should have taken more time in your work or maybe thats just the best you can do either way you post pics like that you will get critized about it critizing doesnt hurt me it makes me better period. And about the tools I didnt have everything to the do the install, save alittle and get what I needed to do the job right, angle grinder, dremel tool, hand file thats not a big list now how to use them right, I rather take a week in doing something right than to butcher cut something and not taking the time to think thru the problem that whats separates our projects from other look at cal's and the kid and I believe prostreeter projects priceless there are prefectionist and not people just want the job done. U decide which is better. just my opinion again and my advise if you dont want to be critized on your work make it look better and take your time patience will pay off in the long run in everything you do in life.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
53lochevy

Houston54 u gotta admit that door in the post is pretty badly cut wouldnt you agree u could have done alot better cut out if you would have took alittle more time in that area. Your truck looks great not knockin it just I think and so do you by lookin at the rest of your truck u could have cut that area out alot cleaner than u did wouldn't u agree. Ive seen your blogs. I like critics gives me ideas and makes me better in all areas of life in general without it how would you get ideas unless from other people opinions or work. Just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Houston54

I do not mind constructive comments about my work. Regarding the door I think the end result turned out great. You do not see the finished product and while there is some filler to smooth out the weld lines I do not rely on filler to hide problems. In my opinion this modification is pretty major as you really have no instructions to go on. If someone thinks they can do a better job of it than I did and my pics show them something they need to avoid then they did what I intended.

The area on the inside door panel may appear to be kluged together to you but I actually planned some of that so I could access the connections needed on the actuator arm and the cable connection points. The plan is this will all be covered by the door panel which has yet to be added.

If I were going to have the door panel uncovered and leave the door as it is shown in the pics than being called out on that would be warranted.

As much effort as goes into bringing these trucks back to life it is never pleasant to have your efforts pointed out for intended or unintended ridicule. If I took it wrong then my skin may be too thin.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53lochevy View Post
Well if u dont like critizing dont post pics that look like u dont know what your doing and cut something in the manner u did if you read more it was just my opinion u should have taken more time in your work or maybe thats just the best you can do either way you post pics like that you will get critized about it critizing doesnt hurt me it makes me better period. And about the tools I didnt have everything to the do the install, save alittle and get what I needed to do the job right, angle grinder, dremel tool, hand file thats not a big list now how to use them right, I rather take a week in doing something right than to butcher cut something and not taking the time to think thru the problem that whats separates our projects from other look at cal's and the kid and I believe prostreeter projects priceless there are prefectionist and not people just want the job done. U decide which is better. just my opinion again and my advise if you dont want to be critized on your work make it look better and take your time patience will pay off in the long run in everything you do in life.

53lochevy

I am going to take you at your word and offer some corrective criticism.
The first sentence of this post is a run on sentence or more like a paragraph with no punctuation or grammar.

Here are some tips.
Never start a sentence with “And”.
Correct spelling always gets your point across.
Bad spelling makes you sound less knowledgeable that you may be.
The whole post gave me a headache trying to understand what you were trying to convey.

Example:

#1 As written

Well if u dont like critizing dont post pics that look like u dont know what your doing and cut something in the manner u did if you read more it was just my opinion u should have taken more time in your work or maybe thats just the best you can do either way you post pics like that you will get critized about it critizim doesnt hurt me it makes me better period.

#1 With correct punctuation and grammar.

Well if you don’t like criticism don’t post pics that make you look like you don’t know what you’re doing by cutting something in the manner you did. If you read more it was just my opinion that you should have taken more time in your work. Maybe that’s just the best you can do. Either way if you post pics like that you will get criticized about it. Criticism doesn’t hurt me it makes me better period!

As for the rest of it, it’s more of the same so I will not continue on. But I’m sure you get the point. Use of a spell checker and a word checker will make your criticism’s less caustic sounding.

Lastly, Its generally not good etiquette to trash someone else’s thread. It just sets you up for a trashing in kind. I would recommend that you read them and not call some ones work a butcher job. Everyone has opinions and backsides and yours is sounding unusually large just now.

May I ask when we will be seeing your handy work so that we can all offer “opinions”?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Norselander
Clunker Farm, Proprietor

Arrow Re: Original push button door handles with bearclaw latches?

One problem associated with mounting the pin in the door is that it increases the odds of catching the pin on something as the door opens and closes.

That's fine work there, Houston; your truck looks great!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Mounting the latch on the cab vs on the door(traditional) is fine IF you are not running outer door handles.

Running outer door handles with the latch installed on the cab corner would make for a tough job.
Installing the latch on the cab would be a great method if you are running no handles and using electronics like door poppers...Eric

P.S. 53chevy or whatever your name is
You talk the talk, but lets see you walk the line now. Post up some pictures.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects

Last edited by sevt_chevelle; 04-12-2008 at 07:04 AM.
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote