The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Bed Repair for Ol John Lee

Finally, got an excuse to pull the bed wood, and is it ever punky. In addition, about half the bolts that actually secure the bed to the frame are missing. So, replaceing them with bolts as I go. Some are temporary and get replaced with the right zinc coated steel carriage bolts when the wood goes back on. But, the wood install waits till 20 June. Dad will be here and I hope to have everything prepped so we can mill the pine, paint it and bolt up the bed. Might have to have him knock some rust off that steel for black paint too...seems that was my main job growing up...pay back sucks!!!!!!

For now, strips and angle strips for the bed side are on the way....with the first of the wood pulled, the rest of the bolts are easily snipped with lock cutters. None of the strips are salvagable. Breaking the spot welds on the bedside angle strips is clean and easy, two or three blows with a cold steel chisel (screwdriver for me) and hammer and it pulls out clean leaving a nice hole in the bed side. These will be measured, marked and transfered to the new bedside strips for replacement with bolts. (I don't weld). The head of the bed is pretty well rotted out so the existing shelf the wood rests on will be cut away and replaced with a painted piece of angle aluminum or steel also bolted in. Finally, two of the cross ties have a bit of rot but a simple fix for the next 20 years will be sistering a section of steel or aluminum strap with a bend to tie the cross pieces to the bedside. All in all, it should tighten the bed back up really snug and eliminate most of the squeeks and drumming.

Last decision is pine painted black as original or oak. I guess I need to make a trip to the wood store.

Boy, that suspension that Bigten did over sure looks good from above too.