The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
gabbin

Speedo cable from 700R4 to 63 dash

My truck has an adapted 700R4 for the trans in my 63, Does anyone have that set up, and is my cable the original or did the adapt the cable in? I believe a power-glide was in it. If someone out there is running this set up, or just knows in general, could you fill me in please, appreciate it!

A little background with trouble:
The speedo cable has always clicked or kinda ticked when driving, and the needle has always bounced at lower speed up to about 30mph, then would go steady. the guy I got it from had told me he thought or tried to get a kink out of it, whatever caused the kink I couldn't say. Either way I didn't mind at the time, but now however, it hit me that being modified, this might be a problem.
I think i can still hear the cable twisting in there and clicking slightly, but haven't been able to tear in yet. I do know it is hooked to the speedometer in the back of the dash panel. That said, I haven't had it apart yet to see if the actual gauge needle in the cluster is operable yet. I will pull it apart as soon as I can to check the needle drive, and spin the cable to see exactly which piece is broken (sure hope the cable) Thank you guys!!
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
chevy2tom

Re: Speedo cable from 700R4 to 63 dash

I just did a 2004r swap in my 64 & needed a 60" cable (6" longer than my stock one) picked it up @ my local parts store. It It has the same ends as the stock cable. Lucky for me The guy behind the counter has been in the business for a long time & knows how to use the old catalogs under the counter not like the kids that only can barely help if it's in the computer. Lol. Good luck
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
I just did a 2004r swap in my 64 & needed a 60" cable (6" longer than my stock one) picked it up @ my local parts store. It It has the same ends as the stock cable. Lucky for me The guy behind the counter has been in the business for a long time & knows how to use the old catalogs under the counter not like the kids that only can barely help if it's in the computer. Lol. Good luck
You wouldn't have a part number and make would you?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
slaminum69

Gabbin,
you should be able to pick a speedo cable at the local auto store, I can remember the exact length of it, I took the old one in and match it up.I have a 63 with the 700R4, no problems. as far as the needle jumping around and the ticking I took out the speedometer and tore it down re-lubricated everything and its working great for the past year. Hopefully that helps you out. There is some write ups on the speedometers in the FAQ section I believe.
slaminum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
chevy2tom

I'll take a look for the part #
Old 06-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
gabbin

Man that's excellent, thanks for the help!

And definitely, if you find a part# let us know.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
chevy2tom

Sorry for the delay, here's the cable info that worked for my 64 with a 2004r
Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
gabbin

Thanks for getting back to us, I'll look it up and see if I can get mine reading again!