The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2016, 02:20 AM   #1
Brandons63

'63 coolant temp/ammeter gauge INOP

Hey guys! So I've found a few gauge clusters over the last few weeks. I've put a few together and came up with one nice deluxe cluster. I am having problems getting the ammeter and coolant gauges to work the rest of the gauges and lights work great. I thought it could be a grounding issue since both of those gauges are on the same mounting plate. As far as the coolant gauge goes.. I replaced the temp probe with one for the gauge. When I built my engine harness I had three wires dead headed for later use. Two were for the coolant dummy light and one for the oil pressure switch. So when I went to the deluxe cluster, I wired the new terminal to the wrong wire forgetting that the wiring diagram shows the plugs as viewed from the terminal end. It ended up blowing the cluster disease melting the terminal end at the probe. So I got the wiring sorted out and replaced the fuse. I cannot get the thing to work! I've rung out the wire all the way from the fuse to the probe and it's good. My spare temp gauge reads 50 ohms across the terminals. Is this good? I unhooked the plug from the cluster and hung the spare below and grounded the gauge and it didn't work either. What am I missing? I haven't even looked into the ammeter gauge but it reads half way whether the key is on or off so I'm assuming it's just hanging out there. Help please!
Brandons63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Re: '63 coolant temp/ammeter gauge INOP

Did you use teflon tape or some other sealant on your temperature gauge sending unit? Bare threads are recommended for proper unit operation.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Brandons63

I used Teflon only because it came on the sending unit . I guess I could pull it, but i know it's getting a good ground. Maybe it's fried from having the power lead to it by mistake?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Brandons63

Nobody??
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
step65

This link shows how the light and the gauge are wired if that helps. Should have a switched positive lead and other goes to sending unit.
http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%204.0.pdf
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote