The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
LSXTravis

1965 C10 Custom Cab for me....

Hey guys and gals,

It has been a while since I posted in this forum about my truck. I had a 1964 C10 SWB BBW that needed total restoration. However, I never was able to get a title for that truck so I ended up selling it. I also moved overseas for 3 years but now I am back at home in Texas where I belong.

Ok, so here is the deal. I have an opportunity to buy a 1965 C10 custom cab long fleetside bed with small back glass that has been painted and is absolutely gorgeous. I am going to buy the truck from the seller but I had some questions about some of the "interesting" options. Here is a laundry list of the options the truck has on it.

1. Dealer ordered with 283 but original owner requested a larger motor so when new dealer installed a 327 in place of the 283. Either engine is fine with me but I like the story behind the 327.

2. Factory 4 on the floor transmission. Not an odd option but interesting.

3. Ordered with factory air conditioning. Kind of rare and really neat and cool.

4. Deluxe steering wheel. I think these steering wheels came in the earlier Impalas and Novas. Nonetheless I have seen them in many C10 trucks before.

5. Factory tachometer on the right side of the instrument cluster. I have seen guys do this to their trucks upon completion but I have not seen one ordered from factory this way. Very cool and interesting option.

6. Ordered from factory with power drum brakes. Again I have only seen this option on very few trucks ordered. I am curious if I can get a disc brake kit that will work with the original Master Cyclinder. Or if master will need to be rebuilt and modified to accommodate the power disc/drum set up I want to go with for safety reasons?

7. Ordered from factory with power steering. Again very rare and cool option. Again another question arises with this....will this option work with disc/drum setup and will the upgrade keep the same steering geometry?

8. Comes with the original CA title, protect o plate, and original owner's manual. Since the guy I am buying from has never switched title into his name I will be the 2nd owner of this cool truck.

Like I said this truck has some very rare and interesting options on it that make it very cool and desirable. Now I would like your comments and opinions about what I want to do with this truck to make it "mine" and bring it into the 21st century. If you have negative comments about the direction I am going to take this truck then do like your mother said "If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all".

1. I have secured a BBW interior panel from one of the forum members here. I am planning on having a the small back window swapped out for the BBW.

2. I am also going to have the same shop take the long fleetside bed and frame and cut down to the SWB and short fleetside bed. I know this will upset some of you but it is my truck and I can do with it as I please.

3. Gas tank is still in the cab. I will have same shop move to under the bed.

4. I am going to go with 5 lug disc up front and 5 lug drums in the back. Again curious if my MC will work with the disc/drum set up or if it will need rebuilt and modified or just new MC altogether? Let me know what you think.

5. Serpentine accessory drive for the SBC. I am hoping this will be compliant with the original A/C and original Power Steering. If not I guess changing to modern A/C compressor, condenser and dryer along with new P/S pump won't be that big of a deal.

6. Go with fuel injection so that the truck will always start in all kinds of weather.

7. Eventually switch from manual transmission to a 200-4r or 700-r4 along with steering column which will have tilt and automatic column shift.

8. Get rid of chains on the tailgate and go with a Mar K system. Expensive but practical and user friendly.

9. Get my Dad to build a bed wood kit from some old black walnut we have had since 1985. I think this will be a quite stylish wood in the back of this pickup.

Again let me know what you think especially with the serpentine accessory drive kit and will it be compliant if you have done this set up in the past. Also with the disc/drum brake conversion. Will my MC work?

As soon as I have some pictures I will post. But believe me the truck is a very handsome 1965 C10.

Travis
LSXTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: 1965 C10 Custom Cab for me....

Make the truck of your dreams. I am in the process of dropping a 1993 5.7 TBI with 700r4 ( early 4L60e ) Serpentine belts standard equipment. Most modern engine swaps now everybody goes with LS. Read thru the LS section .. engine and drive train....A modern engine swap will need the wiring to go with it, Stand alone harness or make 1 from the donor truck. IMO stand alone harness is less hassle. Disc brakes take a larger amount of fluid and prop valve is different I think.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

I don't know - I'd take a beater and fix it up the way you want it. That truck I'd leave alone or clean up and leave it original. Just sayin.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
LSXTravis

Thanks for the input RocknRod but I am buying this truck at a very deep discount and it would cost much much more to take a beater and do what I want to with it. The paint job on this thing is Black and is super super deep.

BTW I know China Spring well. I graduated from Baylor and I used to get out that way every now and then.

Travis
LSXTravis is offline   Reply With Quote