The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
chevy72blu

High IAT temps. Worth it to relocate intake?

I am getting readings of 145-150* in stop and go traffic, with it slightly cooling down while cruising. I am in the SW where ambient temps are 105*, but I have never seen it run less than 20-25* above ambient even while cool out. The motor is a stock LS1.

The MAF and IAT are right above the rad hose and quite close to the radiator. Would be worthwhile to extend the intake tube and add a small bend to put the intake closer to the horn/in the fender well? I know that cooler air = good but I also suspect that a few degrees isnt going to affect real world performance much.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
littlevictories

Re: High IAT temps. Worth it to relocate intake?

I get that and higher with a similar set up in traffic, but the motor pulls timing and adds fuel and it never gets outta hand. In really bad gridlock when it was 90's here ive seen IAT's in the 160's…whole truck is heatsoaked at that point.
littlevictories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Things I've learned, and am in the process of fixing myself:

the intake needs a shield, these things are toasters under the hood, and don't have ducted air flow like more modern vehicles. The engine bay remains pretty stagnant if you have inner fenders in. If you add a heat shield and try to lengthen that intake out a little (Getting the filter to the farthest corner you can). That will probably drop temps by 20* at least.

Also consider a fan cooled trans cooler if you are getting high iat as a result of a badly heat-soaked trans cooler. If you see high trans fluid temps in correlation, you'll have a way to fix it.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Things I've learned, and am in the process of fixing myself:

the intake needs a shield, these things are toasters under the hood, and don't have ducted air flow like more modern vehicles. The engine bay remains pretty stagnant if you have inner fenders in. If you add a heat shield and try to lengthen that intake out a little (Getting the filter to the farthest corner you can). That will probably drop temps by 20* at least.

Also consider a fan cooled trans cooler if you are getting high iat as a result of a badly heat-soaked trans cooler. If you see high trans fluid temps in correlation, you'll have a way to fix it.
I'm running a cold air box that is fed from the front of the core support. I see IATs around 110-120 in 90+ FL weather, 90% humidity. I do have an air to water heat exchanger for my supercharger, which I'm sure helps some.

J - I'm running the tranny cooler in the radiator and have an dual pass auxillary transmission cooler underneath the core support. I'm seeing tranny temps from 180-210 in 90+ Florida heat (6L80 with 2800 Circle D triple disc stall). How hot is to hot and should I be concerned?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-09-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I don't think your really in the realm of danger around there. Personally, I aim to keep my tranny temps not much higher than the engine temp at the time....but that being said, some of the diesel guys go way higher on tranny (240ish) and don't seem to sweat it as long as everything is in good shape, they don't spike, and you don't feel slip.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
sunk99

@ Hart Rod , Did you fab the intake box or buy? Looks good and I'm getting the high IAT's also
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunk99 View Post
@ Hart Rod , Did you fab the intake box or buy? Looks good and I'm getting the high IAT's also
I know it wasn't directed at me, but it might help with your question. I fabbed mine out of simple stuff w/ no special tools.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
sunk99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I know it wasn't directed at me, but it might help with your question. I fabbed mine out of simple stuff w/ no special tools.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXfR4fIb8c
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Houston Ben

This makes me feel better. When stopped I see temps at around 100-110. When I drive (depending on the temp outside) it will go back down in the 80-90's real quick. I was always kinda worried about the temp but not so much now.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote