The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

'49 chevy - how much $$$$ ?

i know that no one can really answer this for me, but would like some quick input on price based on what i've been told.
here it is:

i'm going to look at this truck (for the first time) this weekend, so my description is just "what i've been told"...and what pictures i've seen.
(i don't have any pictures right now or i'd post 'em)

'49 chevy 1/2ton stepside (3 window)
"run and drives as is"
350 engine - miles are unknown but "it runs strong"
th350, floor shift - "shifts good"
"no leaks or smoking"
body appears to be in decent shape (from pictures) i will find out more when i look at it. no fancy paint, just flat black.
grill and bumpers are there and look decent.
all glass is good, interior is stock and all there.
drums all the way around, said to be working good.
think its the stock suspension, was told it was "lowered",...just don't know how it was lowered yet.
says he has a good/clear title (i'm gonna check it against the vin#)

i know i can't really base this off of "what i've been told" until i see it, but i just wanted to make sure i'm on the right track. and seeing as i have to travel a bit to see it i want to be prepared with cash in hand.
now, i've been through a couple builds/buys so i have some good ideas on what to look for/at. i've never bought or built a truck of this style/year, so any input/advice would be appreciated.
i'm going into this with the idea that the motor may need some work and or a rebuild (since miles are unknown) to get it to my satisfaction as well as the breaks (possibly front disc conversion depending on the shape of the brakes as they are)
i'm looking for something that can be a driver and a "weekend at a time project".
if the guy is being honest, he says this is not a builder its a driver.
he's got it listed for $5500.00 but has told me he's willing to deal.
i'm thinking $4500.00-$4800.00?

what do you think?

thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: '49 chevy - how much $$$$ ?

One question I would have; what are your plans for it? A daily driver? I had a 54 about 15 years ago that I had planned on using as a DD. It was completely stock. Personally, I got tired of it quick. That stock suspension got old real quick for me. I know yours has a v8 and obviously a new rear end, so I'm sure that would help, but it still has that old truck handling if it's the stock straight axle. So, I guess if you're just wanting the body and you're doing a MII front end or a S-10 swap, that's probably too much money IMO.
But, what are your plans for it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
MMM...BRAINS...

my plans are (if i feel the truck is worth it)...
assuming the engine is decent do a major tune-up on it, check the brakes out, make sure everything "safe", check bushing and what not and drive it as is.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
MMM...BRAINS...

and my 4500-4800 price range is me looking for something that is or can be a driver with little effort. nor am i expecting a "perfect" truck for the $$$$ either.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
mylow53

the big questions are hidden rust and what frame mods were done to get the v8 in? evrey thing else should be flexable. not completly sure but the 5 window is the more prefered cab.
GT

Last edited by mylow53; 02-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
MMM...BRAINS...

Yea, those are both things I'm concerned abt as far as price goes. I'm pretty sure the Guy bought the truck as is, so its up to me to find it all out
I'm taking a small magnet with me to try and check for bondo
Anything I should be aware of as far as frame mods for the v8 install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylow53 View Post
the big questions are hidden rust and what frame mods were done to get the v8 in? evrey thing else should be flexable. not completly sure but the 5 window is the more prefered cab.
GT
Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
MMM...BRAINS...

I do dig the 5 windows, but I kinda like the 3s customer a lot of people don't.

Quote:
GT
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
OrrieG

Primer = hidden rust. Do a quick search here of the build threads so you know where and what to look for. Take a magnet to check for bondo. Look under the dash and frame at the wiring. Were the previous modifications done right or ??? If its drivable drive it, at highway speeds, if worn those old front ends can get scary over 40 mph.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
mylow53

the frame mods are really the stickler. if it was not done right you could be in for a world of pain. is the frame stock? most likely it has some sorta frame graft to get the v8 in. usually a nova sub frame is welded to the original. or it has a s10 frame... i would be wary of both of these unless he can vouch for the work. these can be done well and work great so don't be afraid of the mod just look very closely at the welding work and the straightness of the frame. good luck
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
MMM...BRAINS...

Granted I really wont know until I look at it, but I assume its a stock front end since he says its stocks drums on all 4 corners...

Quote:
the frame mods are really the stickler. if it was not done right you could be in for a world of pain. is the frame stock? most likely it has some sorta frame graft to get the v8 in. usually a nova sub frame is welded to the original. or it has a s10 frame... i would be wary of both of these unless he can vouch for the work. these can be done well and work great so don't be afraid of the mod just look very closely at the welding work and the straightness of the frame. good luck
GT
Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM...BRAINS... View Post
stock drums on all 4 corners...
I'm no expert on the 49 suspension, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But if it's got a 350/th350 I don't think they could have used the 49 rear end because it had a closed driveshaft system.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
MMM...BRAINS...

now that you are right. i didn't word that correctly, the stock rear would have been a torque tube i believe,...so the rear must be a later model for the trans to hook up. but i think the front suspension is stock. but he (the seller) could just not know what he's talking about too...
but you are right about the rear. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I'm no expert on the 49 suspension, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But if it's got a 350/th350 I don't think they could have used the 49 rear end because it had a closed driveshaft system.

Last edited by MMM...BRAINS...; 02-17-2010 at 03:27 PM.
MMM...BRAINS... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
The stock brakes under a '49 would be the old Huck type.

I don't believe there are any open rears available that would have Huck brakes so you're right it really can't be the original drum brakes on the rear unless someone changed the center section to an open type and welded up the pivots.

I've heard of this being done but have never seen it or done it myself.

Welded pivots fall into the scary frame mod category in my mind. I'd stay away from them.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Can you post any of the pictures you have seen.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
MMM...BRAINS...

I will see if I can dig some up. I never saved the pics from his for sale add and his original posting has since expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
MMM...BRAINS...

well, not that its any help....but i found the original add i printed from the net.
here are a couple pics....but they're black and white(how i printed them) oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
steve23116

I just bought a 49 5 window 3600. It's on a 69 half ton frame, drum brakes, new paint, new gauges, 350 motor was just completely rebuilt, 400 turbo, brand new wheels and tires. It needs the interior finished and new wood in the bed. I gave $4000 for it if that helps you out any
Attached Images

steve23116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
MMM...BRAINS...

Thanks! That's does help and give an idea of price. It also shows me that I should able to get this truck for cheaper than I think or find one better with my price range. Thanks again.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve23116 View Post
I just bought a 49 5 window 3600. It's on a 69 half ton frame, drum brakes, new paint, new gauges, 350 motor was just completely rebuilt, 400 turbo, brand new wheels and tires. It needs the interior finished and new wood in the bed. I gave $4000 for it if that helps you out any
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
MMM...BRAINS...

now, i also realize price will vary depending on where you/i live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM...BRAINS... View Post
Thanks! That's does help and give an idea of price. It also shows me that I should able to get this truck for cheaper than I think or find one better with my price range. Thanks again.
Chris