The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
69nova

?5spd Transmission in our trucks?

Has anyone taking a 5spd transmission out of a S10 (or similar) and put it in our trucks. I know that some mod work will have to be done and hydraulic clutch conversion but isn't the bolt pattern the same for the 4.3 and sbc. I have a 67 c10 fleet inline with 3spd that I want to turn into a daily driver and the overdrive 5spd would be a great addition since its already a manual transmission with 4.10 gears. Any help or ideas would be great.
69nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
epashhans

Re: ?5spd Transmission in our trucks?

My 67 has a T5 trans mated to a 454. Worked great. I am pretty sure its the stock trans cross member. When I got the truck most the work was done...had to get a drive shaft made. Clutch all hooks right up...no problems...no hydraulic. I will post some pics as I have the engine pulled right now for a rebuild.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Wilson_

pm tranzam, he has a WCt5 and beats the hell out of it and it hold up just fine
he also makes the bracket for the swap

Northern California Group

Met list: Cyclone, KCJones, TranzAm, extd56, hotrodhomi, mnky30, Rokcrln, Brad, JerryJones, Petey-pablo, 72Subby

Last edited by Wilson_; 11-05-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Wilson_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
tractorsx

I to am interested in swapping to a five speed but don't want a hyd. clutch.
So I guess my real question would be what trans. would be easist to swap. P.U. is already restored so I don't want to do any cutting on cab.
tractorsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
tractorsx

I to am interested in swapping to a five speed but don't want a hyd. clutch.
So I guess my real question would be what trans. would be easist to swap. P.U. is already restored so I don't want to do any cutting on cab. By the way it is a 71 k20 with a 350 engine and 4.11's
tractorsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

I have done 2 T-5 swaps from S-10 pickups. I 'm doing another one now. I use the original clutch linkage. They work great but are not real stout trans. You can't be doing burn outs or speed shifting.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
smn69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I have done 2 T-5 swaps from S-10 pickups. I 'm doing another one now. I use the original clutch linkage. They work great but are not real stout trans. You can't be doing burn outs or speed shifting.
Do you have a quick parts list for the conversion? I have a 3 speed with a floor shift in my 69 right now and was just wondering what else is needed for the swap.
smn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
69nova

Thanks for the answers. My truck is also a 3spd in the floor and if I can avoid using hyd clutch then it would make this a breeze. Plus I have the inline 6 and there will be no speed shifting and definitely no burn outs. I would like to know what all is involved though so that I can line up needed parts prior to taking it apart. Picts would be great if possible.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Mayo
Cool Truck

I put a T5 from an 83 Camaro in my truck last winter. I had to cut a hole in the floor, get the driveshaft shortened, and get a 26 spline clutch disc. Other than that, it went right in and I haven't had any problems with it.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Wrenchbender Ret

You need a clutch disc for an Astro van. Not many places sell just the disc alown anymore, so you need to find a clutch shop that will build one. You will need to have the driveshaft shortened. Do some research & searches on the subject. There is a world of info on it out there.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
slomotion
Old Duffer

If you can, find a "World Class" (that's a brand name) T5 trans out of a Mustang. You also want the tail shaft from a Sonoma. The Camaro, Thunder Chicken (Firebird), 'Stang and car T5's have the shifter on the end of the tail shaft. The Sonoma shifter is on the forward end right behind the gear box and is perfect for our trucks.
I am using an after market gauge set and the speedo is serviced by a signal generator, so I don't know if a mechanical cable is compatible. My forward driveshaft had to be shortened about 1 1/2". One other item in my case was the bell housing hole was 5/8" larger diameter than the front bearing retainer housing on the T5. This MUST be correct for alignment. This is what keeps the eng/trans true. The bolts only hold the trans in place. What I've posted here isn't all-inclusive, but will give you a pretty good idea.
Do a search here, I seem to remember a thread on this swap.
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
If you can, find a "World Class" (that's a brand name) T5 trans out of a Mustang. You also want the tail shaft from a Sonoma. The Camaro, Thunder Chicken (Firebird), 'Stang and car T5's have the shifter on the end of the tail shaft. The Sonoma shifter is on the forward end right behind the gear box and is perfect for our trucks.
I am using an after market gauge set and the speedo is serviced by a signal generator, so I don't know if a mechanical cable is compatible. My forward driveshaft had to be shortened about 1 1/2". One other item in my case was the bell housing hole was 5/8" larger diameter than the front bearing retainer housing on the T5. This MUST be correct for alignment. This is what keeps the eng/trans true. The bolts only hold the trans in place. What I've posted here isn't all-inclusive, but will give you a pretty good idea.
Do a search here, I seem to remember a thread on this swap.
So what did you do to solve the problem with the bell housing hole being too big?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

The only bell housing with the larger hole is one with the 68 up SM465 4 speed trans. If this is what you have you can find an older one or one from a 3 speed.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Willy Prost

68-72 truck clutch bellhousings have the 5.124 diameter input shaft hole.

67 and earlier, 73 and later have the more common 4.685 diameter input shaft hole also found on chevy cars with manual transmission.

I had a machine shop press fit a retainer ring to make up the difference.
Attached Images

Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
slomotion
Old Duffer

In my case I needed my original bell housing because the engine rear mounts are part of the housing.
Having a bushing cut out of a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum was the quick fix.
The second pic shows the bushing in the bell housing.
Two other issues that may or may not impact your installation;
The very end of the T5 input shaft may bottom out in the flywheel recess. If this is the case you can cut off a reasonable amount to allow the T5 case to mount flush with the bell housing.
The other item is the splined end of the T5 input shaft may bottom out against the bronze bearing in the flywheel. In this case put a socket against the bearing and tap it in a little further. If the bearing is already bottomed, remove it, cut some off and re-install it. This brings up another thing. To remove the bearing, completely fill the void behind the bearing with grease, measure the ID of the bearing, and find a bolt that will just pass through the bearing bore Cut off the threads so you don't damage the bearing, insert the bolt, and bump it with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure created will force the bearing out of the flywheel.
You may not experience any of these snags, I just added them in case they show up.
Attached Images

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
69nova

Thanks again for the info. This gives me a good starting point. If anyone has any additional info that will help make this easier, then by all means lets have it. I'm also a pict fan. So if you have picts then please post more.

Collection keeps growing like rabbits. Also have a 69 nova that was my first car that is in storage for now. My wife is vveerryy understanding as long as she comes first.