The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
RexDodge

Removing the TCS, what to do with the wires?

Removing the TCS (transmission controlled spark hook up). Do I just unplugem or do I need to do something with jumpering wires? Can one of these wires be used for the electric choke? I think all I need is an acc hot for the choke. At this time I just have the stock water temp gauge and I will use the green wire that runs to the other side of the engine compartment and attach the the passenger side sending unit. Thoughts and wisdom?
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
MagmaJct

Re: Removing the TCS, what to do with the wires?

All my `71 had removed was the vacuum solenoid/fast idle solenoid. The system still works for the most part, but it's unable to do anything without the solenoid. I say it works for the most part because the temp sender on the passenger side is also missing, but the timers are still in place, and when checked with a meter, function as they should.

I would like to restore the TCS on my truck someday as part of a near stock restoration, but I'm missing the aforementioned temp sender.

As for the choke, I wouldn't recommend using the ACC circuit for it. If you had the key in the ACC position (engine would be off of course) the choke would just be another load on the battery, and it would make starting that much more difficult with it open.

I've got mine hooked up to an extra terminal on the fuse panel to the "ON" circuit, bypassing the coil's resistance wire.

I've heard that one can use one of the alternator outputs that is only "hot" when the engine is running. I've never fully investigated this method.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
sjarrett71

I just removed mine. It is it's own circuit with it's own wiring. You can remove everything without adverse effects. If I'm not mistaken, the sending unit on the passenger side is a switch for the TSC and not so much a sensor. Unless it's been changed over the years of course. You might want to just go ahead and get a new sensor and put it in the stock location. That's what I have to do since my sensor was removed at some point. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
RexDodge

Acc on? Major duh on my part. Ignition on source is what I need. The wiring is the point of my question. I have my harness completely unwrapped so I have the opportunity to just wrap the wires that run to the "timers" up so they are not seen. Speaking of unwrapping the wiring harness I would recommend this for anyone that has an original. You will find little surprises in there. Back then they soldered connections and just taped them. No shrink tube or other protection. I even found a chunk of insulation gone out of the larger gauge purple wire that had just been taped and not repaired and that was under the original wrap. I am replacing any questionable wires and shrink tubing all soldered joints while I have this apart. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
BigRed76

These timers you are refering to are they mounted on the driver's side of the firewall?

1970 Chevrolet Custom Camper K20
1971 GMC Super K2500, 12V/NV4500 swap in progress
1971 Chevrolet Custom C10
1972 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C20, 5.3/4L60E
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 455/TH400, 3.73 posi
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD, LB7/Allison, CCSB
2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3/4L60E, CCSB

BigRed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
RexDodge

Yes they "where". I took them off. None of the wires went to anything. I just unplugged the brown wire at the junction where it runs into the main harness.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
Removing the TCS (transmission controlled spark hook up). Do I just unplugem or do I need to do something with jumpering wires? Can one of these wires be used for the electric choke? I think all I need is an acc hot for the choke. At this time I just have the stock water temp gauge and I will use the green wire that runs to the other side of the engine compartment and attach the the passenger side sending unit. Thoughts and wisdom?
My electric choke gets its +12V from a wire that was hanging under the hood and hot with the key on. I assume some previous owner simply cut the TCS.

It has worked well for me (the wire I'm assuming was TCS) as my electric choke power since 2004.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
BigRed76

Quote:
Yes they "where". I took them off. None of the wires went to anything. I just unplugged the brown wire at the junction where it runs into the main harness.
My '71 "had" the same thing I didnt know they were timers, they looked like relays to me. I removed the whole harness for now, but I still have it, and it worked before I removed it.

1970 Chevrolet Custom Camper K20
1971 GMC Super K2500, 12V/NV4500 swap in progress
1971 Chevrolet Custom C10
1972 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C20, 5.3/4L60E
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 455/TH400, 3.73 posi
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD, LB7/Allison, CCSB
2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3/4L60E, CCSB

BigRed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed76 View Post
My '71 "had" the same thing I didnt know they were timers, they looked like relays to me. I removed the whole harness for now, but I still have it, and it worked before I removed it.
Same boat I am in. I thought they where relays too but everyone on here calls them timers. In the end all agreed they are not needed. I have the wiring harness completely unwrapped and just cleaning things up. Hope to have it put back together by the end of the week so I can tear apart the front suspension. Always another project...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
jjzepplin

Quote:
Was this wire brown with a white stripe next to the purple starter wire in the junction block?
I have tracked every wire on that block and removed the TCS wires and "relay" but have this brown wire I cannot figure out.
Sorry to hijack....
But it's driving me nuts!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Was this wire brown with a white stripe next to the purple starter wire in the junction block?
I have tracked every wire on that block and removed the TCS wires and "relay" but have this brown wire I cannot figure out.
Sorry to hijack....
But it's driving me nuts!
Anyone?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Billett

Not trying to jack your thread, but when I read the title I was trying to figure out when the heck did we get traction control haha
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
ERASER5

Rex, I used the main wire to the TCS relay for my electric choke. My relay was just behind the dizzy anyway (70 GMC) so it was right there. The rest of the wiring should just unplug. The switch in the trans can be left as is or removed a nd plugged off. The same with the switch in the passenger side head.
It is a relay, there is no "timer" in the TSC system. There is a cold switch in the passenger head(opens when 32° or less), a 3rd gear pressure switch in the trans(closes when in 3rd gear), and the relay(closes contact when engine is warm and 3rd gear is engaged) controling the vacuum switch to the vacuum advance. 4 pieces, 3 switchs, 1 relay.

Brown wire, there is one going to the brake porportioning valve. I think it has a stripe. A brown wire goes to the headlights.

There is a good color wiring diagram in the FAQ section.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Custom/Ten

Quote:
Brown wire, there is one going to the brake porportioning valve. I think it has a stripe. A brown wire goes to the headlights.
prop valve is tan wire, no stripe. Here's a picName:  image.jpg
Views: 4081
Size:  41.7 KB mine is a 72 Custom/10. Just upgraded to power brakes but that is the original wire for valve. Ignore the black paint, I dunno what's up with that lol, some po must have went a little crazy with the spray gun.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote