The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Sklptrljay

Battery blues.....help!

So I am in a time crunch to get this fixed, so I thought I would get some help here. Here's what is going on:

On Monday my wife's 99' Suburban wouldn't start and I had to get to work so I threw the battery from my C/10 in and problem solved until the weekend (so I thought). When I started the engine I read 14 volts across the battery posts.

So on Saturday evening I put the battery back in my C/10 adjusted the carb and went for a test drive (20 min drive) and was going to buy a battery for the Suburban on the way back. The truck was running great, I stopped to gas up and when I went to leave, nothing. The lights and other electrical worked, but no crank, not even a click from the solenoid. My first thought was the starter got too hot and was fried. Sat for about 20 minutes until I got a jump start from my wife (in my commuter car) and what do you know, it fired up and drove fine to my house.

At home I read 14 volts across the battery in the C/10 too. I removed the positive cable while it was still running and the engine did not die. I think that means bad alternator? Just weird that after putting it in the Suburban I started having an issue. Not running I am reading 12 volts across the battery.

So what do you think? I won't be able to work on anything until this evening (Sunday) so I'm going to be under the gun to figure out what the issue is before going back to work.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Battery blues.....help!

If truck ran without battery hookup I think that means it i running off the alternator. If it dies when cable is removed it means no power from the alt. is being made.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
cdowns

i'd take a wire brush to the terminals and contacts for the wires to make sure of positive contact with the battery
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
If truck ran without battery hookup I think that means it i running off the alternator. If it dies when cable is removed it means no power from the alt. is being made.
Okay, so if that's the case I'm wondering if being in the Suburban screwed up the battery, or is it just a coincidence?

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd take a wire brush to the terminals and contacts for the wires to make sure of positive contact with the battery
Yeah, forgot to mention I checked the connections. They are fine.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Maybe a bad connection at the starter. The engine running without the batt indicates your alternator is charging, it wouldn't run without electricity.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Sklptrljay

Got a chance before to get some work in. Found that the original Suburban battery is indeed bad.

SO, that leaves the C/10.

It fired right up today. The auto place said it has a 60% charge and tests good. I put a test light in between the negative post and cable and did get a small lamp light. I found the alternator was causing the lamp to be on.

I keep going back to the starter. Its a "hi-torque mini starter". Wondering if it's getting hot and/or it's a Chinese piece of crap.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
Yeah, forgot to mention I checked the connections. They are fine.
checked them or cleaned them there is a big differance
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
checked them or cleaned them there is a big differance

Checked. Only because it started this morning and I didn't have much time. When I get home I'll take a better look at all the connections from battery to starter.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
Sklptrljay

Okay, did a lot of research while at my kids event today and diagnosed the problem. Seems I had the perfect storm to cause too much heat on my starter.

1. It was a hot day.
2. I have headers.
3. I had just adjusted my carb and leaned it out.
4. Drove it until it was good and warmed up then stopped the engine for about 5 minutes before trying to restart. That makes everything even hotter.

I put in a relay that lets full voltage get to the starter from the battery. I took it out for a drive tonight. Waited until I got home before shutting it off, and it started back up, no problem.

This site is invaluable. Thanks to everyone who didn't even know they helped by posting in the past about this issue. Mabel is back on the road!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Just remember that the starter is still getting hot and will eventually get fried. I would try to find some way to keep the heat from getting to it -either a corvette style heat shield, a home made one or a small mini starter.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
gipper

That EXACT thing happened to me last year! The solenoid was the culprit. I changed the solenoid and NEVER had the problem again.
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Just remember that the starter is still getting hot and will eventually get fried. I would try to find some way to keep the heat from getting to it -either a corvette style heat shield, a home made one or a small mini starter.
It's already a mini starter. I still might make a heat shield though.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
dajn
Account Suspended

Unlikely the battery is the problem but I strongly recommend buying a really expensive optima battery. Especially if you use one battery for multiple things. There around $250 per battery but they are worth every penny in my opinion.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
slow-1

Glad you got it all worked out...electricity can be baffling.

Great looking truck BTW.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote