The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
dbelanger24

Question how rare is the cheyyane super?

Hi guys, new to this forum. Currently going to school for Marine Engineering and figured I'd join because I'd like to know the in's and out's of my future dream truck!

I'd like a 71 or 72 chevy cheyenne super, how hard are these to find? what am I looking at in terms of a rough price range for one in moderate shape (runs, cosmetically rough) I'd also like it to be a k10 or k20.

Thanks for the help guys!

Here's a rough idea of what I want

[IMG]C:\Users\Damian\Desktop\Future Truck\DSC00062[1].jpg[/IMG]
dbelanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: how rare is the cheyyane super?

They aren't rare,except a K/20 IMO. Maybe still not rare,but certainly a lower production in the bunch. Certainly a holy grail.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
engineer_gregh

I would argue that point. True Super Cheyenne's are hard to find, 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
dbelanger24

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
They aren't rare,except a K/20 IMO. Maybe still not rare,but certainly a lower production in the bunch. Certainly a holy grail.
how hard are replacement parts to find for the Cheyenne super relative to an early 60's C or K series?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelanger24 View Post
how hard are replacement parts to find for the Cheyenne super relative to an early 60's C or K series?
What do you mean by replacement parts? These trucks are all the same essentially, but have different options and you wont know what options your truck had from the factory until you look at the SPID after buying one. Unless you want to build a truck with every highend option available back then which is possible, but you do have to search and look long and hard for some parts and piece it together. Not everything is reproduced of course, so that's a loaded question and can't really be answered until you have a truck and see what options it actually came with.

Due to the various trim levels and custom orders back in the day, every truck is like a box of chocolates Always fun when buying a "new" classic truck and examining the SPID and build sheet if both are available for it.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
tommys72

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_gregh View Post
I would argue that point. True Super Cheyenne's are hard to find, 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
A super cheyenne is hard to find...being that GM didnt make one. They did however make a cheyenne super. I found my cheyenne super under a carport in a old man's yard. They are out there. Just have to hunt for them.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
dbelanger24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
A super cheyenne is hard to find...being that GM didnt make one. They did however make a cheyenne super. I found my cheyenne super under a carport in a old man's yard. They are out there. Just have to hunt for them.
thank you for your service!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_gregh View Post
I'm sure you could find plenty to argue that,but I'll pass.
Quote:
Do you mean to other 71/72s,other 67-72s,or are you comparing to the 60-66 design prior to these trucks? The parts that make a Cheyenne Super include '71 chrome tailgate handle/'72 stainless cover,woodgrain instrument bezel and glovebox door applique. Any other trim is shared with the Cheyenne. Those parts I mentioned are hard to find,especially in great condition...as well as some of the parts exclusive to Cheyennes. General service,trim,and body parts for these trucks are as easy to find as it gets

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
dbelanger24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
What do you mean by replacement parts? These trucks are all the same essentially, but have different options and you wont know what options your truck had from the factory until you look at the SPID after buying one. Unless you want to build a truck with every highend option available back then which is possible, but you do have to search and look long and hard for some parts and piece it together. Not everything is reproduced of course, so that's a loaded question and can't really be answered until you have a truck and see what options it actually came with.

Due to the various trim levels and custom orders back in the day, every truck is like a box of chocolates Always fun when buying a "new" classic truck and examining the SPID and build sheet if both are available for it.
This may be a stupid question but since I'm new to the scene I don't mind asking. What is the "SPID" I have plenty of experience working on vehicles but I've never come across this term before.

Also, do you have a preferred company you buy these reproduction parts from? What are your thoughts on LMC trucks?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
dbelanger24

Quote:

Do you mean to other 71/72s,other 67-72s,or are you comparing to the 60-66 design prior to these trucks? The parts that make a Cheyenne Super include '71 chrome tailgate handle/'72 stainless cover,woodgrain instrument bezel and glovebox door applique. Any other trim is shared with the Cheyenne. Those parts I mentioned are hard to find,especially in great condition...as well as some of the parts exclusive to Cheyennes. General service,trim,and body parts for these trucks are as easy to find as it gets
Great info! I was supposed to say 67-72 k10's . Is there a reputable company that makes good era correct reproduction parts for what make the Super, super? ('71 chrome tailgate handle/'72 stainless cover,woodgrain instrument bezel and glovebox door applique.)

Also, are those the ONLY differences between the Cheyenne and the Cheyenne super?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
jocko

SPID is the service parts identification - a list if regular production options (RPOs) that your truck came with - on the inside of the glove box door. ie originality proof. Think if it as a permanently attached mini-build sheet. They can be reproduced, but once reproduced, it's obvious and tells a seller it MIGHT not have come that way from uncle gm. If the original is saved separately for a complete resto, then proof is maintained. Like any classic, some folks care about originality, some just like the trucks for what they are. When you start talking about Cheyenne Supers - originality means a lot when it comes to price. Supers are the top of the line trim level. Other than what Tim listed, the only other difference between a Cheyenne and a Cheyenne Super is that Cheyenne had a scrolled vinyl seat and the Super had a Custom Cloth (houndstooth) seat (in parchment, blue, or olive if a bench seat was ordered) and the "super" emblem under the Cheyenne.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Oh yeah...the seat! Also,all Cheyenne Super Fleetsides came with upper side trim,even with solid (single color) paint. But,the trim itself was used on any other trim level with deluxe 2-tone to act as a paint divider.

For parts,I'd suggest checking the vendor review board near the bottom of the menu page and there also is a board supporting Vendor list that can be accessed on the first page. The page before you log on. I'm not sure what to call what page.It's the one with articles and on the left is the menu. Usually I say deal with the one closest,but that may not matter as much living in Maine. Often it depends on what part you need for who to buy from,but generally most sell a lot of the same stuff. In my opinion LMC is maybe the biggest,and generally the most known to the general public through huge promotion,but far from the best. Southern California has a couple big outfits that produce many parts,then there are the guys you'll see here posting and helping us out. If you're not in a hurry for anything,just hang out here and in time you'll get your own feel for who you want to deal with.

Tim

Old 02-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
dbelanger24

Quote:

I've done some research and found this.
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/72cv/72cv.html

Really lays out the differences and trim levels of the 72's
But one question still remains, what is the difference between the 71's and 72's for Cheyenne's and the Super's?
Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
davepl

Not as rare as a Sierra Grande, I'd imagine. Unless the GMC buyers tended to option more heavily and move up the model chain more frequently, but I've not seen that to be true.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
tommys72

Quote:
thank you for your service!
Thank you very much!

I meant to tell you earlier that your idea of what you want yoyr truck to end up like is awesome. Those a beautiful trucks

Old 02-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Coley

Smile Re: how rare is the cheyyane super?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the 'Cheyenne Super' option package.
Trucks at the time didn't push things too far with package badging...most upgrades were pretty subtle.
In my opinion, the best way to approach it is to find a truck with the best possible condition for the price and the best option group that suits you.
Here is an excellent example of a really nice truck, nice price with a great option group...that isn't a Cheyenne Super.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4324051220.html
For a couple hundred bucks you can add the 'Cheyenne Super' badges on the side...LOL!!
Good luck on the hunt!
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I found mine in someone's front yard. Parts for these trucks are very available. The only major body piece not reproduced is the cab. Give it some time and I bet one will come out. Google "Classic Chevy Truck Parts" and you will find all the parts books you could want.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
engineer_gregh

Good catch Tommy, I meant to say Cheyenne Super:confused. I was stationed in North Carolina from 1986-90 and thats where I came to be so obsessed with these trucks. There are a lot of very nice 67-72 trucks in the Carolina's. I've read on this forum that only 1-2% were Cheyenne Super's. I thought I would share one that I'm lucky enough to own. Hard core documentation, not to mention that I knew the original owner and spent more than 25 years trying to buy it.
Attached Images

engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
leddzepp

I've had two "real" Cheyenne supers. Not rare IMO. These trucks were built on assembly lines by guys with hangovers, so I really don't care how they left the factory

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
tommys72

Hungover building trucks, thats funny and probably true. Or high

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

There are no production figures on percentages of trim level options. I was saying they aren't rare,meaning they made a lot of them. Hard to find is another matter. And yes,any GMC is more rare,especially Sierra Grandes. I've had quite a few rare examples of these trucks in various forms based on combinations of options and the model. It's more rare to have a heavily optioned Custom than most any Cheyenne Super. Those hungover assembly line workers sure managed to build some of the best vehicles to hit the road

Tim

Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

They're all over the place - I found one in my garage!
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
tommys72

I wish I found one of those in my garage...beautiful truck. And you're right Tim. Hungover or not they did a damn fine job building our trucks

Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
dbelanger24

Quote:
I wish I found one of those in my garage...beautiful truck. And you're right Tim. Hungover or not they did a damn fine job building our trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I wouldn't get too caught up in the 'Cheyenne Super' option package.
Trucks at the time didn't push things too far with package badging...most upgrades were pretty subtle.
In my opinion, the best way to approach it is to find a truck with the best possible condition for the price and the best option group that suits you.
Here is an excellent example of a really nice truck, nice price with a great option group...that isn't a Cheyenne Super.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4324051220.html
For a couple hundred bucks you can add the 'Cheyenne Super' badges on the side...LOL!!
Good luck on the hunt!
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks View Post
I found mine in someone's front yard. Parts for these trucks are very available. The only major body piece not reproduced is the cab. Give it some time and I bet one will come out. Google "Classic Chevy Truck Parts" and you will find all the parts books you could want.

Thanks I appreciate it guys! I'm looking to learn as much as possible about these beauties before I get out of school so I can find the absolute perfect truck! Love reading about some of you guy's build threads! keep on soaking it in!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #25
dbelanger24

Quote:
Thank you very much!

I meant to tell you earlier that your idea of what you want yoyr truck to end up like is awesome. Those a beautiful trucks
this is a link that show exactly what I want to build! thing is absolutely gorgeous!