The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
68c10owner

camaro clip or mustang II for 55-59 trucks?

I know 2 peole that have done these swaps and one guy did the camaro clip and the other guy did the mustang II. I started installing a mustang II x-member on my old 57 but never finished. I`m just looking for different opinions on what way to go. I can install either clip myself so the mechanical part is handled but I just wanted to hear some pros and cons of either way. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

really personal preference. camaro clip would be far more involved. mII would be bolt-in....have fun!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
OldJimmy57

Not trying to steal your post but Shamrockcustoms can you take a look at my other link and give me your .02 cents worth please?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=136020
OldJimmy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
short66sickfleet

Well I clipped my 58, & its nice-U turns on a dime.No kidding! the benifits are as follows:if set up right camaro clip will have same effect as Z-ing the frame.So this will automatically put the stance of truck down low w/out spindles.Use the camaro tranny crossmember and motor has nice placement.You will need to cut a little of the inside fender well for A-arms. My father in law did a IFS mustang on his 50 chevy truck.the benifits are as follows: RACK-n-Pinion steering,& dont have to worry about making a front bumper bracket like you will w/ the camaro. "I stand by the clips"this pic is stock camaro supension with full springs w/ a radical 4-link tub new frame in rear.Carring 19.5x33"mickeys. You can see how low! With air I could put it in the dirt!
Attached Images

1960 l.b fleetside,orginal#matching,soon tb copped,& stay original#match truck.
short66sickfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
OldJimmy57

Have any pics of the rear suspension? Please.
OldJimmy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by short66sickfleet
Well I clipped my 58, & its nice-U turns on a dime.No kidding! the benifits are as follows:if set up right camaro clip will have same effect as Z-ing the frame.So this will automatically put the stance of truck down low w/out spindles.Use the camaro tranny crossmember and motor has nice placement.You will need to cut a little of the inside fender well for A-arms. My father in law did a IFS mustang on his 50 chevy truck.the benifits are as follows: RACK-n-Pinion steering,& dont have to worry about making a front bumper bracket like you will w/ the camaro. "I stand by the clips"this pic is stock camaro supension with full springs w/ a radical 4-link tub new frame in rear.Carring 19.5x33"mickeys. You can see how low! With air I could put it in the dirt!
Awsome truck. My buddy did a camaro clip on his 55 and I remember about cutting room for the control arms and making bumper brackets. I`m pretty sure he just welded the last few inches of the original frame to the camaro clip. Like I said before, I started installing the mustang II frontend on my old 57 but never got it on the road so I don`t know how it would ride but it sure did lower it. On my buddy`s 55, he used stock spindels on the clip then did a flip kit in the rear and it looked great. Anyway, thanks for the replys. I`ll probably look into the camaro clip since it would be cheaper. Those clips are all over the yard out here. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Slams_58
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by short66sickfleet
nice 58!!! do you have any pics of the camaro clip installed?? we have a nova clip in ours that was installed by the previous owner and would like to re-install it properly
Slams_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:52 AM   #8
crews
It just doesn't matter

IMHO the camaro/ nova clip is the only way to go. The mustang II front ends were never designed for the weight of a truck, let alone a Hot Rod V-8 truck!!!! I am getting ready to put an S-10 sub in my '50 truck. If I can rememebr I will take some detailed pics of the process. Not that I am an expert, I am going to have some EXPERT help!!!

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

I agree with the feeling on the camaro clips, as I did one on my '55. It is more work tying the sub into the stock truck frame, but if it's done right, it's way stronger than stock. I chose the connect the two frames in-line with each other and box the intersection with 3/16ths steel plate (about 10" long). Yes the bumper brackets can be a challenge, but if you build a jig of some sort that the stock frame horns can locate to BEFORE you cut the stock frame, it will make locating the brackets to the camaro clip much easier. You simply cut and trim the end sections of the stock frame (placed into the locating jig) and connect and weld them to the camaro clip. The inner fenders will have to be trimmed to clear the upper control arms. This can be a tedious process because you wind up installing and removing the inner panels a lot in order to not over-cut them. Not only do you have to trim around the control arms, you also have to take into consideration that the bottoms of the panels are flat from the factory, and the camaro subframe has a gradual curve. I've seen guys use a torch to do this, but it looks terrible. Use a cutoff wheel (thin, 3") on a radiac and your cuts will come out clean. For the cutout around the control arms, I wanted the corners to have a nice radius, so I used the edge of a spray can cap to establish the corner, and it looks factory. I have looked at numerous clip jobs, and you can't see much from the engine compartment, but if the inner panels are done nicely, it makes it look almost factory. Another good thing about the camaro clip is that you have the availability of using the fast-ratio WS-6 steering box and the huge WS-6 front sway bar. My truck looks very similiar to short66sickfleet's truck in the way it sits. Mine is just a roller at this time, and as soon as I get my new digital camera, I'll post pics.
________
Full-size ford

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-18-2011 at 10:48 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
Jimbow1098

Does anyone have or know where you can find pictures of a clip being installed and or installed. I'm really wanting to install one on my 1957 but would feel alot better with pictures or detailed instructions for doing it. Me and my on are starting this project, he turns 14 this month and I was 14 when I got this truck with money I earned working one summer in the mid late 70's. I'm still looking at all my options as far as a Camaro clip or a new IFS setup. Any input would be great.
Jimbow1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
speesh

just my opinion here, but there is no way I would put a suspension from a F*RD PINTO under my Chevy! The Mustang II is just a better (slightly) looking Pinto........
Now a Camaro, that is a different story!
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
59 fleet

More on the front clip suspension

I'll jump in here with a few thoughts on this. We used a front suspension from a 76 Monte Carlo on my 59, and I would not say it is easy, but it looks pretty good. Frame is a roller and I have not driven it yet, so we will see how that goes. Safety is a great consideration and if you have any question about the skiill and experience of the welder, don't do it. Use a bolt in instead. Late 70's Oldsmoble or Cadillac, maybe others, front spindles with disc brakes are a direct bolt in for the Monte Carlo suspension. That gives me 12 " disc brakes, and 5" lug bolt pattern. This matches the 12 bolt truck rear end so the wheels have the same pattern front and rear. Something you might not think about until you are looking for a spare tire. Monte Carlo front track width is the same as the 70 GMC leaf spring rear end that I used, also quite important for drivability. When you weld in the front clip, be sure to get the caster angle right and that varies according to what suspension you use. Monte Carlo uses several degrees caster, but others use very little. If you get it wrong, it won't drive right and you can't get enough adjustment to fix it. Be sure the welder guy understands this.

The Monte Carlo was a pretty easy driving car, but I have no illusions that this will be an autocross winner. I do expect similar ride quality as the Monte.

Last edited by 59 fleet; 04-16-2005 at 11:41 AM.
59 fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #13
Jimbow1098

Do you have any pic's of yours?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
59 fleet

I will look for pictures. We were more interested in getting it done than documenting it. I will see if there are pictures of the finished frame before I assembled it. We had an old Truckin article called "chevelle your chevy" that had pretty good information about how to do it with a Chevelle clip. I think this article dated back to the 80's or early 90's when magazines actually did technical articles that weren't advertorials written by the various manufacturers of bolt in parts.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #15
59 fleet

No pictures are found that would be helpful. sorry
Old 04-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #16
Jimbow1098

Thats ok.. I ordered a video on how to do it from no Limit, will see how good it is..
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #17
Bagd74Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow1098
Thats ok.. I ordered a video on how to do it from no Limit, will see how good it is..
I have that video, it does a good job of the process if you already know how to weld. It shows how to cut the frames and get them to mate correctly.
Bagd74Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking IFS = Mustang Clone

My two cents worth... go with a quality Mustang Clone. You won't be sorry you did! rico

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #19
resin addict

Check out the No-Limit "Wide Ride IFS...based on the Camaro components...I'm really happy with mine, and it went in very easy too...
Here's a couple pics
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #20
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Oh yeah that's what we are talking about CLEAN MEAN LOW RIDIN' MACHINE!

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM   #21
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

yeah, i am leaning back towards the wide-ride, as this is my first project. after watching the video, the front clip swap seemed intimidating with the limited resources, space and experience i have. i am sure i could do it, but it just makes me nervous with all that cutting bending and welding, hoping everything lines up. plus the wide-ride has larger brakes which will be good for my 1-ton, that i want to tow a boat with eventually.
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #22
speedking

Does anybody know of a front clip that DOESN't lower the truck? I want to do one on my '57 GMC but it's a work truck and low doesn't work for me. I also want to keep the 6 lug pattern so I won't have to sacrifice my 16" wheels and tires.
speedking is offline   Reply With Quote