The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Hooker
aka TEX-TOY

fuel tank cleaning? cheap?

Looking for a way to clean rust from my tank... CHEAP!!!! I am on a strict budget and do not have the money to buy a new tank right now

BRAND NEW WIFE BOUGHT IT FOR ME AS A WEDDING GIFT!!! SHE IS THE BOMB!!!!!!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
buffle
buffle

Re: fuel tank cleaning? cheap?

put rocks in it first and shake vigorously, this will dislodge a lot of the rust and scale. then use a power washer and keep spraying until all u get is clean water. You can then buy a 2 stage epoxy coating and follow directions. Mine is over 10 years old and works fine.......
buffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
71chevylowrider

I saw a couple of good looking original in the cab tanks for $15 here in the local craigslist, but not sure how bad shipping would hurt you.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if you have access to a steam cleaner, it'll do all the work for you... no rocks needed (which could cause a leak) Plus, the water from the steam cleaner will evaporate with the quicknes
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
uniman

iv use muratic acid(pool supply store) in one of mine tanks peet gravel works also my dad just ordered a all in one kit from http://www.por15.com/s.nl;jsessionid...0?it=A&id=1515 it was reltivly cheap and sounds like a good system to use check it out
uniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
bowtieride

I got lots of rust in my tank to. I called to see how much a shop would boil it out for me and they said around $150. I laughed and said i could buy one new for that price.
bowtieride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

The muriatic acid works great. BUT it is rough stuff, do it outside. You can get it at hardware stores, it is used to clean concrete. Mix about one gallon of acid to two or three gallons of water (I usually wind up putting about 2 gallons of acid, and about 6-8 gallons of water). Put a piece of chain in the tank, SEAL ALL HOLES, and slosh. My favorite way to slosh is to throw the tank in the back of my driver truck and go for a drive. Drive a few miles, then flip the tank over and drive some more. Works good if you do it while running errands around town. I use a chain because it is a heck of alot easier to remove than gravel. This next part is VERY IMPORTANT:

Dump the acid/water out of the tank (in what ever enviornmentally way you choose), fish the chain out with a stiff piece of wire, and dump a couple of boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda (like what your wife uses in the refrigerator) and fill with water. This neutralizes the acid. If you don't nutralize it, it will form even worse rust in your tank. flush and fill with fresh water several times and use a shop vac to suck out what rust you can't shake out.

Leave the tank open in the sun a few hours to dry.

Bada Boom, Bada Bing...

Fresh clean tank.

Can't stress enough though, be careful with the acid. It'll put the hurt on you.

BEATERS ARE NEATER

Last edited by Bus Ted Knuckle; 05-11-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote