The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Bryce Sills

Motor swap questions-305v6 to 350/350

Hey,
I recently picked up a 64 GMC fleetside with a 305v6 and a 4sp. I would really like to start collecting parts to swap in a 350/350 setup. From what I hear I'll have to get a new transmission support, motor mounts and a shortened driveline. I did a search and didn't come up with what I was looking for. I'm pretty new to this so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Do I need to buy an aftermarket trans support or will one out of a Chevy work for it? Is this a huge undertaking or fairly simple? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Bryce
Bryce Sills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
100%Chevy

Re: Motor swap questions-305v6 to 350/350

That's funny because I'm trying to find parts to put a 351 v/6 back in my 64 GMC!(It was a six)I need the front mount.
You would be better off if you can find a Chevy that's already got the v/8 parts on it.
For the 350 auto,you might want to go to a late model steering column as the originals are getting hard to find.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
jr's62

i dont know if this will help but, i went from an inline 6 to a 305v8 /350 turbo. we took the v8 motor mounts and drilled new hole in the frame then we made a new tranny crossmember out of a cutting edge off of a motor grader as for the drive shaft it is the same that came with the straight 6. everything seemed to work just fine with our setup although it is not professional looking it works very well.
jr's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes you will need different motor mount brackets, and a transmission crossmember. And yes you will need to shorten your driveshaft. Plus there are a number of other things involved as well. These are items such as removal of the original bellhousing crossmember, addition of a tramsmission cooler, need for a shifter to shift the auto trans, different exhaust system, etc. A lot of the necessary swap parts can be found if you can locate a complete donor truck or Suburban from '67-'87 which can provide the engine and trans as well......if you don't already have one.

If you can't find the motor mount brackets and trans crossmember locally, let me know.

Oh and welcome to the board
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-23-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Bryce Sills

Thanks for the feedback guys. Captain Fab,I'm going to be in your neck of the woods a few times this summer, maybe we can work something out. I hadn't even considered the exhaust, I'm really glad that I asked you guys. The truck used to be a column shift three speed but the p.o. installed a granny 4 and cut a huge hole in the floor so I'm probably going to go with a a lockar or hurst style setup for shifting as I'm petrified of messing with columns. Does anyone know how the weight difference is going to affect me? The 305 v6 is HEAVY, I'm thinking that it might put the front of the truck sky high with a 350, but I've been wrong before(just ask my wife, she'll tell you ) Any other feedback is appreciated!
Bryce Sills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Sills View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Captain Fab,I'm going to be in your neck of the woods a few times this summer, maybe we can work something out. I hadn't even considered the exhaust, I'm really glad that I asked you guys. The truck used to be a column shift three speed but the p.o. installed a granny 4 and cut a huge hole in the floor so I'm probably going to go with a a lockar or hurst style setup for shifting as I'm petrified of messing with columns. Does anyone know how the weight difference is going to affect me? The 305 v6 is HEAVY, I'm thinking that it might put the front of the truck sky high with a 350, but I've been wrong before(just ask my wife, she'll tell you ) Any other feedback is appreciated!

You're welcome to stop by anytime, just let me know.

It is possible that your front will sit a little higher with a SB in there.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote