The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Component Speaker Selection

I got my tax return!!! Haha, and it's time to at least put a radio and highs in the blazer. I'm going to build kicks for the components, but I'm looking for some guidance on which ones to get.

A while back, AceX suggested me to get Boston Acoustics Pro60SE's. I don't mind going with these based on his knowledge, but I figured I'd ask again incase something newer/better is out there in the same price range (which is under $300).

I'm wanting a very loud system with great sound quality. I'll eventually be matching the fronts with 2 12" subs when the budget allows it. I don't have any stereo parts now, so the budget only allows for a radio, components, amplifier (a good suggestion on this is welcome as well) and all the parts/pieces/material to install it all.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Re: Component Speaker Selection

There are a lot of good quality components in your price range, enough to make you go crazy trying to figure out which ones to buy. I haven't heard the Pro60SE's personally, but I've heard good things about them. I would suggest going to a couple of local dealers and listening to some sets. They will sound different on a sound board, but you might get a better idea of what you are looking for. Everyone hears differently, so what you like might be totally different from what someone else likes. I wanted some LOUD yet nice sounding components for my burb, and ended up buying some JBL C608gti Mkii's. Got 'em on sale from an authorized dealer for under $250. And always remember, proper installation is the most important part of quality sound!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado

Last edited by Riveted1; 04-27-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks for the link Riveted1! Those JBL's look mighty bad a$$, I think that's the beefy'est looking 6.5" speaker I've ever seen!

I wish I had some good places to go to around here, but in all the shops I've been to, nothing really sounds too different and no one really carries a wide variety. I'm not in search for the ultimate best, so online reviews and recommendations are good enough for me. I've done a lot of searching, and so far those JBL's have the best write ups/reviews on the net I've seen and I'm almost pretty convinced on them. The main reason is the reviews on the mid-bass and ability to take loads of power without distortion. Since I won't be driving the Blazer daily, I should be able to get away with going over the RMS rating on them.

What size amp are you running? And is there a difference in getting quality sounds with different amps?

As for installation, I've never built a set of kicks, but I'm 80% sure in my abilities to do a decent job. Luckily I'm only doing the fronts for now, so I only have to dyno the "cab" area of the blazer which will save me some $$$.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
OldJimmy57

It all depends on how much money you wanna spend. There are tons of brands out there that are very good. The Boston Acoustics as mentioned are very nice. Alpine and Kenwood are some other quality components. A little pricier and inline with the Boston Acoustics are the brands MB Quarts and JL Audio. And then you could get crazy and look at Focal these are some of the priciest and probably best of the best. I have had JL audio, Alpine, Kenwood, Boston Acoustic, and MB Quarts. And all were excellent. Just comes down to money and what you think looks and sounds the best.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks OldJimmy57. My price is under $300, but like all purchases, if something is cheaper and just as good/if not better, then I'm all for it. I found the JBL's that Riveted1 posted for $239 from onlinecarstereo.com. That's cheaper than the Boston's I was looking at so it's #1 on my list right now.

It's a little tough picking out an amp too. I'm trying to stay under $800 for everything and it's getting tight.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

As far as amps go, again, there are so many out there you could go batty reading all of the reviews. And you probably don't want to get too crazy, as I'm assuming you are using a factory style alternator. This Kenwood This Kenwood would fit the bill. Car Audio did a test on it and it put out it's rated power (even a bit more IIRC.) You could bridge it to 2 channels for those JBL's. I was looking at that one when I was trying to decide whether or not to stay with some old school amps I have or go new technology. You could also look for a used amp on Ebay. Anywhere from 125-300 per channel should be plenty.

If you decide to get those JBLs, you'll need to run the tweeter off-axis. Otherwise, you might find it harsh. (IOW, don't point the tweets right at your ears.)

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

For speakers, try some Infinity Kappas. I have heard great things about these, and I picked a couple pairs cheap off of Amazon for my DD. I am thinking they will sound better than the usual Pioneer/Kicker/Polk speakers I have used in the past. The only disadvantage is they have external crossovers that still nust be mounted.

I also have a single 10" Alpine Type R, and works great for being a single 10 in a small box.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
stich626
Account Suspended

go with the b/a's
reasons are they last
2)sound great
3) if you do blow one (not likely unless you send them distorted signal)
they will recone it, and do it in lynnfield,ma
4) I have a set of b/a 3way sep 6.5.3 pros that have been rocking since 2001
been in 7 cars/trucks and still kick butt..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

@Riveted1, The link to the kenwood amp didn't work. You got a model #?
Also, I'm running a chrome alt 100 amp...I had it in the garage, so I put it on. From some posts on the board, it seams it's not the best thing to run. Do you think I'll end up with problems down the road?

@tapeworm, I have also heard good things about the Kappas, and I feel the external x-overs are actually an advantage. When I can afford sub woofers, my plan is for 2 12" Alpine Type R's. Everything I've read about them has been good in they produce both great quality and a lot of bass.

@stich626, It's really hard to not consider those BA's, but your 3rd reason is only really a plus for you since I'm in CA not, MA. Although, reconing is a nice option.

I have to say that I'm leaning towards the JBLs though. The main reason is the feedback about the amount of mid-bass they can produce. Since I'm not going to be able to do subs for a while, I'm hoping for the speakers to sound as complete as possible. Out of everything I've heard about the BA's (all very good), no one mentions or referrs to the amount of mid bass produced.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Sorry for the double post, but is it ok to bridge an amp for component speakers? I thought the signal turns into mono when bridging.

If it's not an issue, is this how you wire it?

Bridge channels 1/2 & 3/4
Run 1/2 to left speakers and 3/4 to right speakers
Run 1 set of RCAs off the radio's Front PreOuts, but use a splitter to connect the left to channels 1/2 and another splitter to connect the right to channels 3/4
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
stich626
Account Suspended

if you have a 4 channel amp that is bridgeble..
that will give you 2 channels left and a right
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but just wanted to make sure...
Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Sorry, I should have checked the link to make sure it worked. It was a Kenwood KR-4S. Just a suggestion. Like I said, there are tons of good amps out there. Kinda depends on what is important to you. Cost, size, quality... there are trade offs to everything.

Like stich said, bridging a 4 channel amp, which is what that Kenwood is, will give you two high-power channels for your components. Or you can do away with the passive crossovers and go active, powering each mid and tweeter w/it's own channel.... but that's opening a whole new can 'o worms lol.

The 100-amp alternator should be fine as long as you don't end up putting in a HUGE amp for your subs.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
tubbedII
needs more $$$

No need to apologize, but that amp is a little out of my price range for getting me up and running. Those digital amps sure are nice thought! I've been "web building" a system for a long time, and have always considered the Alpine versions. It's just now that I do have some money, reality kicks in and I have to tone down some things.

With that being said, and my impulsiveness kicking in, I just purchased my system a few minutes ago:

A. Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994
I have this in my daily driver and I really the functionaility of it now that I'm used to it.

B. Speakers: JBL C608Gti MKII (Thanks Riveted1)
Like I said, the reviews on the mid-bass got me, especially since I'm not buying subs yet.

C. Amp: Kenwood KAC-8405
It's nothing fancy or top of the line, but I don't mind using it for the time being knowing I can upgrade it later. I found it online for a hair over $100, so it fits in nicely. It's rated at 720W and is suppesed to put out 180W RMS when bridged. If that's really true, then it should still sound pretty good.

D. 100 sq ft of FatMat (more than I needed for now, but buying more made it cheaper)

All of this came out to a little over $700 shipped to my door. So far, I'm under budget and still have money to get the materials for the kicks and wiring. I already have the vinyl to cover the kicks, and gotta search my "left overs" to see what wires I actually need before ordering.

I do have a question about building the kicks:

Are there any reasons I should keep the vents functioning? I don't have heat/ac, but do want a vintage air unit some time down the road, and since I don't run the top ever I don't need the air down there.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Looks good! Let us know how it sounds when u get it done.

It's a little late now, but that FatMat is an asphalt-based deadener, the same thing as Peel N' Seal from Home Depot or Lowe's. If you're interested, here's some good reading:

Why Not Asphalt?

Home depot "dynamat"

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Man, the 1 thing I didn't ask about nor research...damn impulse buying always gets me. Thanks for saving my blazer from smelling like a rooftop, Riveted1! I put in a request to cancel the order, so hopefully it's accepted. If it's not, I'm going to order a non-asphalt based product anyways, and put the fatmat on CL.

So now that I've spent my morning looking into good dampeners, I'm actually more confused. I'm looking to get around 50 sqft...I'm guessing that's enough to do the firewall, floor (only under front 2 seats for now) and inner/outter doors. My only real goal is to not have anything rattle or smell. Since I ride topless, I think it'd be a waste of money to try and cancel road noise.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options since they are in my price range:
B-Quiet Ulitimate (50 sqft)
SecondSkin Damplifier, not Damplifier Pro (40 sqft)
RAAMmat BXTII (About 80 sqft)

I'm not set on any of them, so any help on which one will meet my goal at a cheap price (hopefully $150 or less) would be awesome. Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Yeah, it can all get a bit confusing. I've used both Raamat BXTII and Damplifier. Was happy with the performance of both.

As far as the amount of deadener you use, I would suggest reading the site Sound Deadener Showdown. It's the site of the guy Rudeboy (Don) from the posts I linked earlier. It used to be just a testing/review site, but now he sells his own products. Read about deadener coverage and how little you actually need. It might save you some money.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
hotrodhomi

I used second skin in my Blazer and was very happy. I love the difference it made in the sound of my doors shutting.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I've opened that sound deadener showdown multiple times, but never read it until now. 25% coverage should definitely help out my pocket!

I went with the RAAMat BXTII (about 40 sq ft) and 2 rolls of the Ensolite closed cell foam. I'm going to put 25% coverage on the firewall, kicks, floor boards under feet and doors. I'm hoping the 40 sqft is enough, but if not, I'll pick which ones I feel are more important. I'm hoping to be able to cover the firewall, kicks and door panels with this.

Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and links everyone!

I got lots to do to the blazer now, so I need to build a work bench in my new house in order to get started...on to research that and hopefully get one done today.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Sounds like you're on the right track... Keep us updated!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Well, I got my speakers yesterday, they look awesome, but unfortunately they are damaged so I have to send them back. I don't know how long it'll be until I receive a replacement...guess it gives me more time to do other things.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Damn, that sux! Were'd you buy them from? Was it shipping damage or something else?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
tubbedII
needs more $$$

onlinecarstereo.com is where I bought them. I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't the shipping as there's zero damage to the box, or even the internal boxes. Even the cardboard around the speaker was in perfect condition. It's like the manufacturer of the speaker put a broken speaker inside the package.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Not saying JBL couldn't do that, but I'd say it's probably not likely. Those are more than likely "gray market", so while they are cheaper, you run the risk of getting inferior product. Sometimes gray market stuff works out fine though (I've been guilty of buying it myself sometimes.) I hope onlinecarstereo takes care of ya!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
stich626
Account Suspended

no that sounds about right for jbl lately