The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
**grumpy**

Talk me out of it

I know I haven't been around here for real long, but....

I lost my job at GE after 13yrs due to plant closing. We're selling our house because it's just too expensive, and I'll never make that kind of money again.

My truck is in pieces in the garage, with all my tools, cabinets and other stuff I brought home from work before our last day.

I need a truck to haul some stuff while moving, and I thought about selling the project and buy a beater.
My wife says I should throw it together since I have 90% of the stuff, and use it.

I just don't have any interest. I walk out there and look at it, and go back inside.

I'm stressed about work, selling to avoid losing my house, having to pack up and move from the only home my kids have ever known.

My head is spinning.

Just a FYI incase you have no idea what truck I have.
It's a 64 short/fleet. 250-6, 3spd. I already did a 7" notch, made 2" blocks, bought new ubolts.
I have 4 slam bags, 8 parker valves, 5-gal tank, kp gauges, front plates and cups, switches.
I need to use my York compressor, or buy an electric Viair, and I need some 4-flat wire, and airline.

I don't have alot in the truck, compared to alot of people. It was to be my daily driver / cruiser / old style "shoptruck".

I keep wanting to just sell it, and buy a beater 70's longbed to drive, and my wife, thinking I'll regret it later once things settle, keeps pushing me to just put this together. Maybe not as I planned to do, but make it a bagged driver.

I get on here, read what everyone is up to on their's, and feel like I should push on. Then I wake up in the morning and everything hits me again, and I can't go out there.

Sorry for rambling on, venting my troubles. It's been a hectic few weeks.
**grumpy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
joe231

Re: Talk me out of it

sorry to hear it! I agree with your wife, beside the fact women never need more chances to say "I told you so", lol.
If yours is any thing like mine, I hear it plenty.
I have been where you are and miss my '67 Bronco so bad (not to mention losing a friend over it)
Things will get better and you will be sorry. just my $0.02

Last edited by joe231; 03-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
PBFAB.COM

Keep your chin up! The hard times will pass. They ALWAYS do.

You know best, and if it comes to feeding the fam. or selling the truck it's an easy call. If you can afford to put it together I think you should.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Tim64

Keep the truck. Put it together and use it. You won't find anything easier to work on, and the parts are cheap. You will wish you'd kept it if you let it go. You know what the truck needs to get it going. If you buy a beater you won't know what it needs, and you know it will need something.
I'm real sorry about the job. There is more and more of that every day. I wish I knew somewhere up where you are that was looking for help. We need about 5 machinist here where I work in Dayton.
Good Luck,
Tim
Tim64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Hey man....times are ruff at times. Sorry to hear about the plant shutting down.

I totally understand about not having any "drive" to work on your truck. I have about three projects right now that I can't even look at cause it makes me sick.

I agree with everyone else....you probably will kick yourself later for getting rid of it. I would mabey have a friend come over and help you out...

It has helped me before....When I start losing interest, a buddy will come over, start picking up some wrenches and say "OK John, what's next ?" Next thing you know, your back in the game !! It works for me.

AND...your wife wants you to keep it ?!?!? That is like the number one insentive right there !!!

I would throw it back together...use it for a 'hauler' for now (why buy another truck, you have one already ??).....then, once the dust settles...blow it back apart and do it up again !!

Man, these things are easy to work on, and can be tinker with forever !!!

I hope all works out for you man !!!

Take care....

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by ChiefRocka; 03-08-2008 at 04:42 PM.
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
fuelpump

Grumpy,
I know what you are going through. I went through the same thing many years ago. We ended up moving from upstate New York to Michigan. It wasn't easy but the whole family adjusted well. It took a while but we did it. So just hang in there and be the cheerleader for your family. Put a positive spin on everything. That will help your kids a lot to see you being positive and upbeat.
While it may not be "fun" right now to put the truck back together look at it as a job. Every hour you spend on it is adding value to it and that will help the family finances. Its worth more assembled than unassembled and working on it will help take your mind off everthing else.
Things WILL get better for you and your family. I know that may be hard to believe right now but it will.
fuelpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
62 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Keep your chin up! The hard times will pass. They ALWAYS do.

You know best, and if it comes to feeding the fam. or selling the truck it's an easy call. If you can afford to put it together I think you should.
I agree totaly! Good luck with whatever you do.
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
slug

grumpy, i feel you. i got laid off a week before christmas and i ended up getting a job makeing $5 more than i was makeing at the previous job. keep your chin up. things happen for a reason. as for the truck, i would say keep it, but thats just me. and take fuelpump's advise on being positive. and i hope everything works out for you.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

If you go out and start putting it together it might even make you feel better to get something done. Take your mind off of other things. Think of it as therapy. It might even help. Getting started is the hard part.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Gotta agree with fuel pump. Regardless of whether you sell it or not put it back together. It's worth far more to you anyway you decide to go. It will be worth it in the end. One foot in front of the other my friend.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
283 Man

Times are really hard for everyone know how you fell,just keep you head up look forward not backwards,it will get better!!..
283 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 Man View Post
Times are really hard for everyone know how you fell,just keep you head up look forward not backwards,it will get better!!..
+1
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
Hoser's Girl
Chevy Chica

Keep your head up! Sounds like you have a supportive wife and together you can get through anything. This too shall pass. Best of luck to you and your family.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
slepysal

I can only agree with keeping yur head up. Things will get better.
The thing about buying a beater,is not knowing what it is going to need, and it could wind up costing you more.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
larry may

Put it together.Drive on. New set of priorities will help.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #16
1974k5blazer
Account Suspended

do what you have to do! your a dad and a husband! sell it if you need the money! there will be more around! i'll sell you my 63 shortfleet once you get on your feet! for real cheap!
1974k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

i agree with everyone on here and if i was close to you i would help you put it together
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #18
drewmangoo

Keep the truck, and Keep your head up. Hope everything works out for you.

1965 c10 Longbed Fleetside
1972 Chevelle (wife's car)
2002 Suburban (wife's car)
drewmangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #19
greg64

Good luck grumpy. Like the others have said, I'd put your truck back together. In my own case, my 77 was to be project to be proud of. But, the situation changed and I needed it on the road way sooner than I thought I would. This pushed me to do a throw together with the help of family (because of the time crunch). It wasn't what I wanted, and I had contemplated just selling the damn thing and buying something more "sensible". But, every year since then, I've done one more project on 'er to make it better. Now, 12 years later, I still own the truck and drive it every day. It's been a load of neat little projects, although it's still not the way I had envisioned it. I'm glad I hung on to it, as I would have felt (now, from a 20/20 hindsight) like I'd given up on a neat project and would have regretted it. Anyway, just my 2 cents...
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
**grumpy**

I'd like to say Thank You to everyone who replied.

It's not so much that I need the money from the truck, because it isn't worth a ton. I've had some much more expensive cars/trucks over the years.
It's more that I just can't get myself to go out there. I feel like I should be worrying about the job and home situation more.

And as someone said above, It's getting started that's the hardest part. And everyone is right, I already have a truck, so it may be dumb to sell and buy another beater with what money i could get from it.

I don't know. My head is spinning. I think I want to do it, then a hour later not.

The realitor came last night, and brought the "For Sale" sign for the yard today. That took alot out of me. And it wasn't much better for my kids. I think that was when they realized this was happening. It broke my heart.

Again, sorry for rambling on. I know this is happening to people all over the country right now. Things are rough.

Thanks again.
**grumpy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
Deuce

Keep your chin up.

I just had my very first girlfriend die of stomach cancer at 36 years old...............I feel "lucky" to still have "bad" days.

I wish you and your family all the best from here on in.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
Dinos63
chevy only

man i wish you were closer i would come over and help ya work on your truck just to help get your mind off things,I went though the same thing and had to sell cars i loved, but you do what you have to for your family, hang in there.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #23
296moon

Two jobs at the same time. Putting your truck and yourself back together at once!. its got to be done.
296moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #24
motopatzo

Hey Grumpy! Hang in there....everything happens for a reason, everybody goes thru good times and bad . When things are bad that's when you reach deep down and pull out that inner strength. Your family will see it and boost them up too! Keep the truck! I have been thru stuff as well, and it is very difficult to get motivated, but once you start....It's not that bad. This will make you stronger. Hang in there!
motopatzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #25
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Grumpy:

Hats off to you for having the courage to hang in there when the chips are down. I have found my trucks to be a good source of therapy for me in tough times. With the support of your wife, family and your friends here on the forum, I hope you are able to get your rig back on the road and in the process experience some abundance in other aspects of your life. Make a plan, take some baby steps and next thing you know, you will be back in the swing of things. Good luck and keep the faith.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote