The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
COBALT

Two-piece drive shaft needs a home...

I simply can't take this to the junk yard. I've seen these sold on the board more than once, so I know how popular they can be. I can't store it, and I don't need it.

Update:

I did some work to remove the U-joints, and did some wire brushing and cleaning on the yokes - specifically the slip yoke. This driveline is in super good shape. I'm definitely not taking this to the junk yard.

I'm going to ask shipping cost + $20. Please include your zipcode so I can determine the shipping.

It will need:
  • New U-joints
  • New Center support bearing
  • Balancing (once it's back together)

Let me know if you're interested.
Attached Images

Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 07-05-2008 at 04:16 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
bguild

Re: Two-piece drive shaft needs a home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
I simply can't take this to the junk yard. I've seen these sold on the board more than once, but I'm literally giving this away. I can't store it, and I don't need it. Now that I had my other style shaft repaired I can imagine having an extra one around would be useful.

If you're local come and get it for nothing. If you want it and you're not local all I ask is shipping cost + $10 for beer money for boxing it up and carrying it to UPS or whatever. Just include your zipcode.

It has a slip yoke attached but it has some rust to deal with. It needs a good cleaning and new U-joints obviously. Splines don't look too bad. I left the U-joints in so the inside of the yokes could be protected while it sat in my garage, but I can get them out if someone wants me to.
What would shipping be to Kansas City.. I am kind of a rookie at stuff with these trucks.. I plan to do a step notch with an air ride set up.. Would this type of drive shaft be what I need? It would be a 2wd with a step notch in the rear.. Anyway let me know thanks Brian

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
COBALT

Wow, that really depends on a lot of factors. What is your current setup? How will that setup change based on your project?

More importantly - what will your pinion angle be at ride height when all of your chasis work is done? Chances are you'll have to fab a driveline to fit your specs (using a driveline shop) when all of that work is starting to take shape later (when you have the transmission, cross members, and differential set up in the modified frame). I haven't personally done that, but I've seen a lot of pros explain the process, and being an engineer it makes perfect sense.

You may not want to commit to something like this yet. I think this is a driveline for a manual transmission. It's completely different than an automatic transmission setup. The shafts are thicker, dimensions a bit different, slip yoke is wrong, and the carrier bearing fits a different cross member.
Seattle, WA.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
bguild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
Wow, that really depends on a lot of factors. What is your current setup? How will that setup change based on your project?

More importantly - what will your pinion angle be at ride height when all of your chasis work is done? Chances are you'll have to fab a driveline to fit your specs (using a driveline shop) when all of that work is starting to take shape later (when you have the transmission, cross members, and differential set up in the modified frame). I haven't personally done that, but I've seen a lot of pros explain the process, and being an engineer it makes perfect sense.

You may not want to commit to something like this yet. I think this is a driveline for a manual transmission. It's completely different than an automatic transmission setup. The shafts are thicker, dimensions a bit different, slip yoke is wrong, and the carrier bearing fits a different cross member.

after looking more on the board.. i am thinking i might just have to make the air ride and then take it to a shop and have them do the rest.. Thanks for the help with this.. my truck project is a learn as you go thing.. I am learning alot and that is the goal.. this board is amazing too.. its a great resource.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
COBALT

Cool....

Anyway kiddies, since I have had very little interest in this I decided to go ahead and pull the U-joints (easier to ship that way), and take a peek at these yokes. I ended up doing some cleaning, etc.

Short version: They look great. The U-joints are blown of course, but the slip yoke looks amazing after some emery cloth and a little cutting oil treatment. There's still some dirt and old grease on the yokes, but the ears look great for new U-joints. A little elbow grease and new U-joints, Center bearing and balancing (and maybe some paint???) and this driveline will look brand new.

I'm updating the original thread. Ping me if you're interested.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 07-05-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
COBALT

ttt
Seattle, WA.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
COBALT

ttt - last time. Craigslist/ebay is next...
Seattle, WA.