The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Chevy Fan Always

Power steering gear box

Does anyone have an idea on my 72 PS Gearbox. It sat for 15 years and blew the seal when I put it back on my restored truck. I exchanged it at NAPA for a reman. That one was too stiff. Steering wheel wouldn't return. They gave me another. It's tight as far as no play, but there is absolutely no feel to it. Its like it has a super volume and pressure pump. I had a shop try to adjust the screw on top, but they said they couldnt tighten it any more. My other 72 feels correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Chevy Fan Always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Power steering gear box

Sounds like an issue with your pump.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Bigdav160

Quote:
I had a shop try to adjust the screw on top, but they said they couldnt tighten it any more.
Really bad idea. The sector screw should only be adjusted to add turning torque to the worm bearing preload measurement.

Are the torque rods the same size as your original?

Larger torque rods require more effort to steer
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Chevy Fan Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Really bad idea. The sector screw should only be adjusted to add turning torque to the worm bearing preload measurement.

Are the torque rods the same size as your original?

Larger torque rods require more effort to steer
I have no idea, I haven't taken the gearbox apart. Is that the shaft that comes out of the gear box?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Chevy Fan Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Sounds like an issue with your pump.
When the old one first blew the seal I put the gear box off my other truck on because I was anxious to drive my newly restored one and it was normal.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
OrngePeel

I recently replaced the steering box, pump and hoses. I used components from the next series up Chevy trucks (square bodies) because the steering ratio is better. I went to the parts store and asked for the box, pump and hoses from a 77 or 78 and they fit perfectly. Some guys use adapters to keep their original hoses and pumps but those are cheap to replace and need to be replaced or rebuilt once in awhile anyway. The steering in my truck is smooth, effortless and very responsive. I love how it handles.
OrngePeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Chevy Fan Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngePeel View Post
I recently replaced the steering box, pump and hoses. I used components from the next series up Chevy trucks (square bodies) because the steering ratio is better. I went to the parts store and asked for the box, pump and hoses from a 77 or 78 and they fit perfectly. Some guys use adapters to keep their original hoses and pumps but those are cheap to replace and need to be replaced or rebuilt once in awhile anyway. The steering in my truck is smooth, effortless and very responsive. I love how it handles.
Good idea, thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
54belair

Do not waste your time on parts store gear boxes (power). There are two excellent rebuilders that I know of; one is Red head on the west coast and the other is Power Steering.com in Mo.

What no one will tell you is there are many variations-----all covered under one rebuilders' part number. The parts houses will tell you "this will fit", but that doesn't mean it "will work".
I'm having this very issue Today as we speak---its frustrating as hell. I ordered 4 parts house gearboxes--they sent what they said was correct ---yet none of them were.
Under one part number, someof the variations are Mounting, output shaft, input shaft size, hydraulic hose fitting style. One parts counter guy actually told me "yeah, its the right one, you just have to change your hoses to a different style--and you may have to change the coupler". I'm sure I cant say here what I told him to do with his gear box.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

the factory Gear box you traded in was worth 350.00.Me i'm guilty I've done it 2 times The factory gear boxes have more sharper turns the one from Napa or auto zone them have short turns.I now have all my factory boxes rebuilt ya its 195.00 and 2 weeks waiting But its brand new the last one i got back did fine but the first one still leaked.Took it back guy fixed it and gave me back $50.00.He said we wanted the repeat business.So i have not had to use him in 4 years but the boxes are doing fine
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

One last thing this is the best power steering bracket GM ever made for are trucks i use it on my 1964 --72 chevy sm block chevys
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #11
54belair

The one that was installed today was a factory housing that was rebuilt. There are ways to identify the housings but what it seems hard or impossible to identify is whether or not it has been rebuilt AND if it was rebuilt to original specs. The gear I took out was a 3.5 turn Lock to lock unit as was the one that went back in. What makes the Saginaw gear boxes such a pain is partially the running production changes and the fact that later model parts can be installed into an earlier housing. In my case I got lucky, I was able to get the 68-72 coupler (since unbeknownst to me my original coupler had been changed to match the input shaft change on my original box.
The rebuilder charged 150. core charge in addition to the 300. for the gearbox. For a gear box to be accepted as a good core--they have to be identical in every respect as well as rebuildable. Since my original box was not what I thought it to be the rebuilder could have said" sorry I keep you core deposit," but he didn't, we talked and he realized it was a mistake and he honored the core agreement. I would recommend his company to anyone. (good customer service).
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote