The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
slikside

HEI module gone bad???

Hello all, need some quick advice:

'72 C-10 350 / TH350 automatic, stock....except for the HEI ignition system I put in more than 6 months ago at least.

Anyway, she fired right up as usual, I drove it less than 10 miles, mostly on the freeway. A couple stoplights later, it was struggling tomaintain idle while in Drive while stopped at a light. I goosed it a little just help keep it running. I was able to limp it to where I was going, and shut it off. When I came back to try and start it, there was nothing but cranking going on. Not even a hint of firing. I had given it a pump of gas on the second attemp, and nothing, again.

I pulled the cleaner and could smell some raw fuel...pretty sure she's getting gas. That second attempt was without the air cleaner, so I know she's got air. That leaves ignition. I'm by myself with no tools, so haven't actually pulled a plug wire to check, but I'm thinking the module went out...Walking to the parts store now...only several blocks away...

So what do you think?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
100%Chevy

Re: HEI module gone bad???

Maybe you didn't get the distributor clamp tight enough and it has turned putting the timing off?
And,yes,it could be the module is bad.
Or,the 12 volt feed on the cap fell off.Or the same for the module connector.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
krcotter

If you suspect HEI/ignition you really need to pull a plug and confirm!
krcotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcotter View Post
If you suspect HEI/ignition you really need to pull a plug and confirm!
I agree, but have no means to do that right now, so...

AAA is on the way. I can get my truck home, where I can sort this out when I have time/tools to do it. Probably not today or tomorrow, but I will report back when I know the issue.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Try starting fluid. If it doesn't start on that it's ignition. One exception, if choke is closing when hot starting fluid won't start it and the closed choke is the issue. I had this problem before but it was due to a missing choke rod. It would start hot as long as I didn't touch the pedal. That would trip the choke shut and give nothing but cranking...and you could smell the raw fuel. No air was the problem

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
slikside

Good thing I'm not a doctor...turns out, it was flooded!

When the tow guy showed up, he suggested we try it again. I was sceptical, but agreed, nothing to lose. As before, it cranked and cranked without a hint of firing....until just as I began releasing the key, it seemed like is was trying to start...barely! Then I smelled gas. We both thought maybe it was flooded. So put the pedal to the floor and held it there and started to crank again. Sure enough it fired up after a bit! Ran like crap for a couple minutes. I still had it towed because I didn't trust it. Only thing worse than being where I was would have been being stranded on the highway, and having to call AAA again! But by the time he had it loaded, it seemed to be running "normal".

I had a few minutes yesterday afterwards, and thought I'd check the fuel filter on the front of the Q-jet. Yep, packed with crap. Looked like green plastic shavings ( any ideas?). I rebuilt the carb about 5 years ago with one of Cliff Ruggles kits. It has performed flawlessly...until yesterday. That's why it never occurred to me that it was flooded. But I haven't changed the filter in all that time either. So I got a new filter (less than $2!), and stuck it in there. Fired right up and idled fine, even in gear, but I haven't driven it yet because the weekend has been full of family events, and I didn't want to run the risk of getting stranded again with all that going on.

So I now think some debris must have gotten past the filter, and interfered with the carb somehow, but then managed to clear itself.

So that's where I am for now. Glad that it seems to be resolved, and hoping that's all there was to it. I did find a module at the parts store for $50, but I didn't buy it because I wasn't positive that was the problem, and I didn't want to chase my tail...that's when I called AAA. Basic policy covers 7 miles, and I was 10 from home (think they've run the statistics on that one??lol), $8/mile after that. It cost me $24 to get my rig home, and get on with my day on my own terms.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
midniteblues

Lots of times very small peices of the sending unit sock filter looks like strands of plastic.
But it could be rubber strands from the lines or a fuel pump thats eating its self.

Its amazing what can get by even a good a fuel filter.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Try starting fluid. If it doesn't start on that it's ignition. One exception, if choke is closing when hot starting fluid won't start it and the closed choke is the issue. I had this problem before but it was due to a missing choke rod. It would start hot as long as I didn't touch the pedal. That would trip the choke shut and give nothing but cranking...and you could smell the raw fuel. No air was the problem
Starting fluid is a great idea...quick and easy. I'll have to remember that.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
Lots of times very small peices of the sending unit sock filter looks like strands of plastic.
But it could be rubber strands from the lines or a fuel pump thats eating its self.

Its amazing what can get by even a good a fuel filter.
I'm thinking sending sock debris, but haven't confirmed. The tank is original and has never been out of the truck as far as I know. Hoses and pump are less than a year old.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
slikside

Finally got around to driving it this weekend. All has been normal. Idrove it about 12 miles. Stop and go, and at speed. Put my foot to it a couple times.

Kinda confirms for me what I thought originally when I saw the old filter packed with debris...something got past it and interfered with the carb, flooding it.

For now, so far so good. I'll check the filter again after I put some more miles on it.

And I won't be waiting 5 years to change it anymore, no matter how good she's running.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
1969c10joe

my GUESS is engine died from lack of fuel then it flooded as you pumped accelerator congrats on fixing it keep checking for more debris
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 PM   #12
72oldblu

2 things to carry around I found, a spare module an a fuel pump, from experience lol..
72oldblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
YourBuddy'sTruck

Just food for thought....
I keep my inductive timing light under the seat.
If you crank and it doesn't light up, you know you need to pull the cap and look into the ignition.
YourBuddy'sTruck is offline   Reply With Quote