The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
cjosatx

Having issues with my oem throttle cable

Hello fellow truckers, I have a 1984 chevy stepside with a oem Quadrajet carburetor, i have an issue with the gas pedal its hard to push.

I purchased a new oem cable with no luck im thinking its to long and it get tied up. the carb linkage is easy to move the pedal is easy to move but when cable it attached its hard. I noticed the cable is long and it curls with its connected.
Its definitely the right one off a 1984 chevy stepside. Im lost...LOL...
cjosatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:23 AM   #2
66gmcguy

Re: Having issues with my oem throttle cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjosatx View Post
Hello fellow truckers, I have a 1984 chevy stepside with a oem Quadrajet carburetor, i have an issue with the gas pedal its hard to push.

I purchased a new oem cable with no luck im thinking its to long and it get tied up. the carb linkage is easy to move the pedal is easy to move but when cable it attached its hard. I noticed the cable is long and it curls with its connected.
Its definitely the right one off a 1984 chevy stepside. Im lost...LOL...
Is the pedal stiff throughout the travel? Or is it stiff initially, then it breaks loose after you push it a little further?

Try disconnecting the cable from the throttle lever without removing the cable housing off the bracket. If it's still sticky, then the cable is kinked or binding somewhere. I've found that the only way these work smoothly is if there's a big loop in the cable.

If the pedal is stiff initially then breaks loose, then it's most likely worn throttle shafts. It might not seem like that's the problem if you actuate the throttle lever by hand, but it only needs to bind a little bit for the pedal to feel stiff. The only fix for that is to bush the throttle shafts. I had this problem with my throttle body. I bushed it and the pedal felt way better afterwards.
66gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
cjosatx

Re: Having issues with my oem throttle cable

Hello, Yes it stiff all through the motion, I'm sure its cause of the curl it has.
Can i get a custom cable made somewhere that's shorter?
I'll try to reinstall it and make a circle on it but not sure it's going to work.
cjosatx is offline   Reply With Quote