The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
that_guy_james

Exclamation U Bolt problem

Hey ya'll! You're Chevy GMC people here so you may already be aware of this issue but in case there's someone new around that doesn't know and we can save them from a disaster I'll go ahead and post this.

I own a custom shop in West Kentucky and we do A LOT of Chevy work in these parts. One of the biggest issues we face are the U Bolts in the late 80's thru current trucks. The cradle that goes beneath the axle shaft that is secured by the U Bolts has two pockets that collect water, dirt, salt and whatever else happens to fly up there and get caught. The pockets hold onto all that junk causing severe rusting of the U bolts. I just repaired a 1999 a few days ago that was really BAD! 3 of the 4 u bolts in that rear end were broken off on one side because they'd rusted completely through.

We've contacted GMC about this issue and they don't seem to interested in addressing the issue. So I'm posting this around to remind Chevy/GMC owners to check their U Bolts often! Clean out those cradle pockets every time you change your oil!
that_guy_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Re: U Bolt problem

Welcome to the forum!
That's some good info. I definitely know what your talking about.

Name:  80.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  74.3 KB
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
that_guy_james

Re: U Bolt problem

That would be the little buggers. Sure wish GM would do something to address the problem before people start getting killed when they lose their rear ends on the highway!
that_guy_james is offline   Reply With Quote