The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
BurnoutNova

Anyone here push snow?

I've been thinking about looking for a plow setup for my truck... probly want one for my 86 K10, it's more of a beater truck an I dont mind if the salt eats it up. I think I could make a few bucks, and save myself some hassle by doing my alley and friend and family's snow removal much quicker with a blade. I really don't know where to start. I have driven plow trucks, around the lots at various shops I've worked at but never more than to clear off a small parking lot. I've seen a few Meyer setups locally on craigslist, and some Western's but don't really know how to compare them.

The plow truck at work has a 7.6 western plow on it and I like it, but the controls would never work for me with a 4 speed shifter, Is there more than one way to mount the joystick?

What issues should I expect to have if I buy a "worked when removed" setup. I can assume it won't be a bolt and go opperation as that would't be my luck. Is it difficult to bleed the system?

I'd just like a few story's maybe from someone who's bought used plows and some pointers to look out for. Also some brad preferances and explain some avantages?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Re: Anyone here push snow?

I've ran/ worked on many Westerns, and one older Meyer. Alot of different versions of each brand thru the years. The old Meyer a friend had in a 4spd truck. It had 2 toggle switches that could be mounted anywhere. Most of the joystick Westerns I was around were controlled by cables, and you could mount the joystick anywhere the cables would reach. One guy had a Western V-plow, it would really break thru big nasty drifts, or cut thru piles & ruts that were solid.

I don't personally like a manual trans with a snowplow, it's a real workout to get small areas done quickly. And if you catch a curb or something, it can tear up the plow, truck or you in a hurry. Auto trans Blazers or shortboxes were my favorite.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
I've ran/ worked on many Westerns, and one older Meyer. Alot of different versions of each brand thru the years. The old Meyer a friend had in a 4spd truck. It had 2 toggle switches that could be mounted anywhere. Most of the joystick Westerns I was around were controlled by cables, and you could mount the joystick anywhere the cables would reach. One guy had a Western V-plow, it would really break thru big nasty drifts, or cut thru piles & ruts that were solid.

I don't personally like a manual trans with a snowplow, it's a real workout to get small areas done quickly. And if you catch a curb or something, it can tear up the plow, truck or you in a hurry. Auto trans Blazers or shortboxes were my favorite.
It is a swb k10, and I realize the 4 speed will not be the optimal setup, but its the truck I have, and I really dont plan to use it as much as some do to make money. I just get tired of having a 2' snow drift all the way down my alley, and if I could get a cheap (1,000 bucks or so) plow setup I could take care of that and some other small non-commercial stuff.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post

And if you catch a curb or something, it can tear up the plow, truck or you in a hurry. Auto trans Blazers or shortboxes were my favorite.
Good point about curbs, never thought about it NOT stopping. This truck is that way too, 4.10s and especially in 2nd gear it needs to hit something pretty solid to get it to stop.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

My first plow truck had a three speed stick on the column and I could not wait to change it to an automatic. The areas that I plow require a lot of backing up so if your plowing is mostly forward you may be ok with a stick.

Right now I have a Western hydraulic setup with a Meyer plow blade. The blades will interchange on the plow mount that I have. My joy stick that controls the cables is mounted on the dash down low on the left side and it works well in that location.

Plowing your own place works pretty well but from my experience snow plows require lots of maintenance so plowing for others can be expensive.

I have never had to bleed the system as it appears to bleed itself.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I think I would wait for spring before I went shopping. you could get a whole truck for cheap.
I have a customer who sold his 87 K20 with a 7 1/2' western last spring for $2500. it was a good clean truck with a fresh 350 and the old cable driven tilting plow.

I would avoid the newer electronic controlled ones as they seem to have lots of problems.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I ran a Western in a`71 K/20 4spd.I had the joystick mounted so I could lay my arm on my leg and only move my arm a little to shift.I had no problems with the manual.I mounted dual alternators & batteries because you`re usually lifting and angling the plow at idle.But,I can see an auto would be better for reasons explained.I never felt the truck was strained.But,after 20 hours of plowing I needed a clutch and a rear ring and pinion.The truck was fairly old,the clutch wasn`t.It never slipped and it was a top shelf kit.It`s best to have some give somewhere,like an auto does.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
mrein3

A little over a year ago I knew nothing about snow plows. Then I purchased one for my K10 off of Craigslist for $500. The guy gave me everything including a plow frame that was previously mounted to a 1972 GMC (which is how I found it on Craigslist - by searching for 1972 GMC).

According to what I've read and learned it is an older "western style" plow. The hydro pump is a GM starter motor with a pump built on the front of it. I mount that whole shooting match under the hood, next to the alternator, on the frame.

The pump has an up/down and and a left right pivot contraption. If you pull the pivot one way, a leg reaches down and completes a connection on a solenoid and also opens a valve to move fluid. The PO had two 1/4" rods that went through the firewall and in to the cab. You push one for left and pull it for right. Same for up and down, push and pull. Since I didn't want a bunch of holes in my cab and a bunch of rods hanging around I fabbed up a cable system. You pull one cable for up, one for down, one for left, and one for right. I ran the cables through the clutch hole.

These cables are simple dirt bike throttle cables that were about $10 each at Northern tool. After I fabbed that all up I discovered that you can get a joystick deal on the internets for around $150. Oh well. Too late. I'm plowing with my setup.

The plow is quite heavy and raises the back of my truck up a good 8 inches or better. I fixed that with seven seventy pound sacks of sand (490 pounds). That levels the truck pretty good and gives me gobs of traction back there.

To keep the salt off my truck I only use it on my driveway and on the lake. If the snow gets to deep to easily drive out to the fish house I make a swipe or two out to the shack and back. I would never consider doing more than my driveway with my little half ton.

If you are looking to do this for money I would get a 1987 or older 3/4 ton or 1 ton. You can purchase them all day long around here for $2000 - $3000 already pre-rusted and with a plow attached for your convenience. I have been told by folks who plow for money that the newer CV front end 4x4s don't hold up as well as the older, solid front axel trucks.

The best part of my set-up is that it is all bolt on. I can completely remove it in the spring in about 1.5 hours. When it is off you can't even tell it was there.
Attached Images

Center City, MN

Last edited by mrein3; 01-02-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Stupid touch pad
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote