The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
72gord
Never enough time!!

What muffler is best?

Looking for some advise here, getting ready for new exhaust on the project and wondered what everybody else was using. I'm looking for an aggressive sound, but not deafening in the cab as you roll down the road. The truck has a 350 with 268 extreme energy comp cam, 4.56 gears and more than likely will end up with 32 inch tires. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions, Gord
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That's a tough one.

I've used a bunch, and for me (in my opinion only), I'm tired of Flowmasters. Too loud for me anymore. I currently have DynoMax Super Turbos on my truck, and I don't like the sound from them. They aren't too loud, just don't like the sound.

Of all the mufflers I've used, I liked my Borlas best, by far.

Lots of fellows on here also tend to favor Magnaflow. I've never heard a set myself.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
GreyHoundSteve

Im glad you asked this question. Ive been around the block when it comes to exhaust myself and i have to say that BORLA is the way to go here. Ive tried dynomax, flowmaster, greddy and borla and I have to say hand down that borla makes THE BEST mufflers and i say that without hesitation. You have to look no further than the mufflers themselves. Find someone who sells borla and take a look in it.... youll see right through the other side and NOTHING can flow better than that but two other great reasons to buy borla is that they have a million mile warranty on their mufflers (last mufflers youll ever purchase) and they sound great. IMO flowmasters are played out. Every kid with an f body or mustang and $100 has that same flowmaster sound and i think its boring. You listen to a borla muffler and its much deeper and stronger sounding and they are also smaller and can be mounted with better ease because of the design.

I just bought my truck and it has 40 flows on it but i have plans to swap them over to a set or borla mufflers REAL SOON.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
ChevyDude

OK...so where's the best place to buy the Borla muffs??? Any particular model or are they all the same???

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude
OK...so where's the best place to buy the Borla muffs??? Any particular model or are they all the same???

I bought my last set from jegs and they offer a few differnt designs based on the amount of HP your engine is capable of. I went with a pair of the 3" xr-1 oval sportsman race mufflers. The part # is 157-40944, jegs now sells them for $133 a piece but i got mine for $99 a pop a few years ago. They have the "sportsman race mufflers" available in several differnt sizes and designs though and im sure youll be pleased with any of them.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
72gord
Never enough time!!

Thanks for the input guys, does anyone have any experience with the 50 series Flowmaster? A friend of mine has 40 series on his truck...they sound good when you accelerate, but he said it is really loud in the cab all the time. Later, Gord
72gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #7
GreyHoundSteve

I have the 40's on my truck now (po installed them) ..... they are loud in the cab but then again they are dumped at the axel. Sound is definately an objective thing but imo the 40's sound more high pitched then i like ..... souns like an f body or mustang too much for my likings.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

I've got a set of Flo Pro mufflers on my very mild 350 (headers, dual exhaust and an RV cam) and I've got no complains with it. When you let the lead foot prevail, they produce a very nice growl, but they quiet right down when you get to crusing. They are like that all the way up to 60 mph where they do start to drone a little bit. I'm sure that an x-pipe and getting the exhaust pipes off my transmission crossmember (bent for a standard tranny, then put into an auto tranny truck) would quiet things way down becuase they didn't drone at all when they were in the other truck, they were actually fairly quiet inside, but when you got on her, you almost had to cover your ears as a buddy did a driveby. If interested, I can get a sound clip for you.