The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Custom 68

Tailgates -New- what say ye?

hey all I am close to finishing my truck project but the tailgate is a real pain. it is a 68 fleet Chevy. It is of course bowed but has some dents arond the letters I am having a real hard time with. I have heard the new ones are not as sturdy as the originals but I am not concerned with that. Otherwise how are they? I dont want one that is not straight around the letters I already have one of those. Is there only one brand "goodmark"
I really hated to spend 300 plus on one but am about ready to.
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
Custom 68

any thoughts?
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
PMS

When I re-built my truck 5 years ago I purchased a new aftermarket tailgate made over sea's. I bent it in less than a week and the fit and finish sucked.... I went back to the place I purchased it and bought a new/old stock OEM tail gate for twice what I paid for the aftermarket and never regretted it. Find a OEM tail gate IMO.
PMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
cableguy0

the only bad things i have heard about the repops is that a 200lb man really cant stand on em without bowing them much less pick something up and stand on it.other than that i dont know i personally havent installed or used one much less stood on one
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Huck

Over the past few years, the quality of the tailgates from Tiwan have improved to the point that it is difficult to find a difference between OEM and aftermarket. The only thing I have found is the OEM is spot welded on the center recess above the letter section while the repops aren't. The new repops weigh about the same and seem about as strong. If you are covering with a letter band, you could go with a "non lettered" gate and save some bucks. GM NOS can run upwards of $4-500. Repops--unlettered=$200. and lettered= $300. + ship.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote