The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
KTLX

Question Door Lock Help Please

Majorly frustrated here. I replaced the door latch, locks, weather strip, striker, and door striker and my doors wont lock once the door is shut. For one, I have to slam the door for it to shut properly. Any suggestion on how to free the pressure off the lock mechanism
Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Door Lock Help Please

Sounds like the new weatherstrip is preventing the door from locking. You can usually push in on door while locking or adjust striker plate a little looser to relieve the pressure. Mine loosened up after the weatherstrip broke in. John
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

What he said.....push in on the door while locking.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
KTLX

Thanks All, I pushed my a$$ off on the door and no luck, I have also adjusted the door and striker plate. There is one spot on the weather strip that is hard rubber, the part on the bend of the top of the window. I think that is the issue with the weather strip. Will this break in eventually.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
john
member #16

I think you got a bum weatherstrip. A friend had one with three hard spots (solid rubber) and it never did loosen up. I would try a different supplier. My friends came from LMC.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Open the door, push the knob in on the outside handle and advance the star wheel on the door latch to the next point, close the door and try to lock it. Repeat this procedure until you find the one that locks the best. There 6-8 possible positions on the lock mechanism. The star toggles back and forth on the same location for 30+ years and then when we take the trucks apart and clean and grease everything this star gets moved and the wear pattern is lost. Well, it worked for me I hope it works for you too.