The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
CAJ1971

Bent Brake Push Rod

I dropped my truck off to get a new performance transmission installed. I get a call today saying they dented my hood and grille trim when they were pushing it in the shop and the brake pedal went to the floor. I have been driving this truck for a year and everything is new on this. I spent 3.5 years building this. He texted me a picture of the brake blaster rod that is bent. Would any of you know how this could have happened? I have never ever had problems with the brakes. I drive the truck to that shop a week a go with no issues. Now my brake rod is bent and it needs paint and body work. I’m curious as to why they were pushing it instead of driving it. And they must have been pushing
pretty fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

CAJ1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Bent Brake Push Rod

I highly doubt they could push it fast enough to do all that damage. I mean, come on. Like you said, it drove in there, why would they even need to push it? They owe you the cost of repair. They should have garage liability.
And what's up with that bent push rod? It looks like "all thread". If it is it's way too soft to be used for that purpose.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ1971 View Post
I dropped my truck off to get a new performance transmission installed. I get a call today saying they dented my hood and grille trim when they were pushing it in the shop and the brake pedal went to the floor. I have been driving this truck for a year and everything is new on this. I spent 3.5 years building this. He texted me a picture of the brake blaster rod that is bent. Would any of you know how this could have happened? I have never ever had problems with the brakes. I drive the truck to that shop a week a go with no issues. Now my brake rod is bent and it needs paint and body work. I’m curious as to why they were pushing it instead of driving it. And they must have been pushing
pretty fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
They owe you a new hood and outer grille and paint to match it. The rod like said looks like all threaded rod which shouldn't be used for the brake rod. But none the less they owe you the cost's of the repairs.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
CAJ1971

I’m Guessing they were power braking when test driving. My first thought too was they were pushing pretty dang fast. They said they already ordered the grille surround and he will get it painted. But the story doesn’t ad up at all!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

It doesn't look like all-thread to me, but it also doesn't look like a factory push rod. I suspect somebody goosed it and had to stand on the brake pedal, and it didn't stop in time. I'd still make them fix the truck, but I'd be pretty careful about driving it without the factory style push rod. Did/does the push rod push into the master or bell crank linkage under the hood straight? That should be able to withstand everyone but the Incredible Hulk pushing on it without it bending. If it is out of true, I could see it bending, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
They couldn't have used the emergency brake to stop it? I'd like to hear "The rest of the story"

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #7
CAJ1971

As far as the push rod, it came with the set up that was bought. It’s been a while but I think the factory one was too short maybe. There was some reason why I couldn’t reuse it. It originally did not have power brakes. I have not been to their shop since this happened but I will tomorrow. I want to see the 4 wheeler they said they ran in to.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
kwmech

They're lying to you, ask them what the real story is 'cuz that one doesn't fly. My feeling is they were hot roddin' it and got out of control. I'd take it somewhere else for the work and repairs and have them pay for it. Any other business' around that have outdoor cameras??
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
CAJ1971

Yeah I’ll probably get the guy that painted fix it. And let them cut me a check. Not sure about cameras. But I will find out tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ1971 View Post
Yeah I’ll probably get the guy that painted fix it. And let them cut me a check. Not sure about cameras. But I will find out tomorrow.

See if there are any fresh burnout marks inside or outside the building....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #11
dmjlambert

Did they wreck it before or after the new transmission installation?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #12
lil hoodlum

Many years ago, I bent a brake push rod like that by slamming my foot down on the brake pedal several times. Brake pedals don't bend like that for no reason.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
AussieinNC

That push rod appears to be made of hardware store chinese junk threaded rod....and has no place in a braking system...

It also looks like the alignment of the rod when installed is not correct, placing the rod at an angle instead of a direct straight push.

The rod also looks undersized compared to stock diameter.

Just be thankful this didnt happen on a freeway at high speed.

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #14

They at least owe you for the cost of the body repairs. Interesting how a 4 wheeler hit this and the damage is to the hood/ outer grille but none to the bumper.look at the rear wheelwells. I believe u will find some rubber from some one power braking that truck. They defiantly slammed on the brake and my guess is they did that right after they hit the gas.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3767 View Post
They at least owe you for the cost of the body repairs. Interesting how a 4 wheeler hit this and the damage is to the hood/ outer grille but none to the bumper.look at the rear wheelwells. I believe u will find some rubber from some one power braking that truck. They defiantly slammed on the brake and my guess is they did that right after they hit the gas.
Good catch on the rubber in the wheel wells
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #16
CAJ1971

I’m about to go take a look for the first time since I heard it happened. Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #17
CAJ1971

I went down there to take a look. I can’t see any rubber in fender wells. The 4 wheeler racks line up with grill. Still sound shady, but the shop manager says they will fix everything. They already ordered the trim and ordered a new push rod. I told them I would pay when I can test drive it. They told me to get an estimate from my paint and body guy and they will cover it. Still sucks
Old 02-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
sstock

Nothing wrong with that push rod. Power brakes would never need enough pressure on the pedal to bend the rod to stop the vehicle. Somebody was running that truck to speed and stood on the brakes for a panic stop, hitting the the stationary object in front of them.
I call BS on this repair shop big time.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
Boog
laying low

Yet it's bent..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #20
firedemon

I currently have a bent rod that looks exactly like that it came with the power booster setup I got when I converted to power disks . I had to use that one because the new setup made the factory rod too short . i bent it in a panic stop when a kid ran a stop sign . i just got a replacement i ordered from performance online it looks to be a lot heavier duty and long enough but i haven't had an opportunity to check yet its too cold out here still
Attached Images

firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #21
sstock

Sure you can bend it if you stand on it like an elephant, the point is you do not need much pressure to lock the brakes, any more than that is the human panicing thinking if he presses the pedal harder it aint going to hurt near as bad when it hits. Nothing wrong with all thread IMHO or after market push rods either. If you want to add a little more strength to the all thread, spin a couple of 3/8" by 24 threaded couplers over the all thread and it will stiffen things up greatly. Look at the GM pushrods, thats what GM did.
Attached Images

Last edited by sstock; 02-29-2020 at 09:41 PM.
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #22
CAJ1971

The shop manager told me he thought the mechanic slammed the brakes in a panic. He did not see it happen but he is calling BS on his own guys too. He said he ordered me a better pushrod. It just sucks that I will have to pick it up from them after they had it for over a week and then i have to take it to someone else for a week. I guess I should have just bought a Volkswagen so it wouldn’t hurt so bad.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #23
Jason Banks

I had the same thing happen. Admittedly, it should have been cut shorter.

No wreck, I was trying to bed the brakes after installing 14 inch front and 13 inch rear disc.

I felt when it happened. Luckily I was within a block of my shop.

Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 12:27 PM   #24
Jason Banks

I'm back to add. I had the same black pushrod bend on my other truck. Similar situation, after doing some brake work and out testing... This was a couple months ago, but just getting around to posting. I would caution anyone about using the cheapo pushrods that come with the imported brake kits.

Didn't have a factory pushrod for the 2nd one, just sleeved it with some chromoly tubing and welded it up.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 12:55 PM   #25
yuccales

I know when that engine is off and there is no vacuum left, that brake pedal is much harder to push. Probably caught one of those youngsters by surprise.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote